October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
15 Jun 2020 12:34 #311146 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
The federal government is capable of huge things. What is lacking is the will. A rump minority has decided they would rather pay 1% less in taxes than let the government fix anything, so we have a situation where the nation that wrote the playbook on how to effectively respond to novel pathogens is unable to respond to a novel pathogen. Brazilian purpuric fever, hantavirus, various Ebola/Marburg outbreaks. All identified, diagnosed, contained, and quelled by the CDC. SARS and MERS, same thing. It's literally in these last few years that the CDC has lost the capability/remit/public trust at large to handle things like this. I wonder why? Could be anything.

Anyway, wear a mask.

kottke.org/20/06/jesus-christ-just-wear-a-face-mask
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2020 10:13 #311154 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

This is great news, especially because this drug is cheap and easily available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, jeb, Sagrilarus

More
16 Jun 2020 12:14 #311168 by jeb
I was heartened by that news about dexamethasone, too. I was never impressed with the remdesivir numbers and it looked like Gilead was going to just fuck the whole world on pricing, so it's great to hear that a $30 IV bag can save more lives.

Other good things I am hearing are progress on the vaccine front, with a lot of work on NABs yeilding good results:
www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Rare-...kely-to-15339594.php

There's also evidence that superspreaders are the main source of transmission, practically a Pareto principle at work, with 20% of carriers transmitting 80% of new cases. That means track and trace and testing could do wonders, and that mask wearing is so fundamentally important you should be actively mad at people for not doing it.
arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/just-10-...ion-studies-suggest/

This thing can 100% go away. It can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, themothman421, hotseatgames

More
16 Jun 2020 12:17 #311169 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Coronavirus
I was in a grocery store and a department store yesterday. Most non-employees were not wearing masks. Assholes.

More
18 Jun 2020 20:17 #311218 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
I finally got TP today!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, RobertB, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, jpat, Msample, Ancient_of_MuMu, n815e

More
20 Jun 2020 20:48 #311248 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
Went to visit my flgs today.
I was so happy to see it open and still there.

It’s run by my friend, whom I haven’t seen or heard from since middle of March. I was afraid he’d gotten sick or shut the store down. He’s been open for 41 years and has spent the last 5 saying every year was going to be his last.

But he was there and it was wonderful to see him. I brought him candy and masks.
I picked up a copy of Power Grid, which I haven’t played before but always was interested in trying it. He needs support for his store, especially now.

He told me he made no income for two months but still had to pay rent. He reopened in early June and business has been good so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, jpat, Msample, hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton

More
21 Jun 2020 11:15 #311254 by jeb
Yep, I picked up PANDEMIC Season 2 and have my FLGS ordering the MARVEL CHAMPIONS expansions I am missing. Keep that local economy going. Sucks that rentiers couldn't go a couple months without sucking the life out of people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
25 Jun 2020 23:32 #311395 by Gary Sax
www.washingtonpost.com/health/how-arizon...63d27e1ff_story.html

The whole lurid story of AZ.

My county hit 37% positive tests yesterday. Here's what the last 7 days of testing looked like for AZ:

Still due back at work in person with my 80 students in staggered groups in a little over month.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, schlupp

More
26 Jun 2020 03:40 #311399 by schlupp
Replied by schlupp on topic Coronavirus
Scary. The numbers in the US seem to indicate that - at least in some states - you need to implement stricter lockdown measures again. But how realistic ist that? Are those governors that pretend Covid-19 is not worse than the common flu able to implement such measures without losing face?

In Germany the R-value has increased to 2 (statistically one person infects two other persons), but that's due to massive outbreaks in the meat industry. So there are hotspots, but it is not a common trend. As a result the German government is looking to regulate the working conditions in the meat industry, which is a positive at least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Nodens

More
26 Jun 2020 04:46 #311401 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Coronavirus
Here in the UK half a million fuckwits crammed onto Bournemouth beach yesterday. I guess we’ll have a clear idea in a couple of weeks if this is the right time to lift lockdown.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717

Some really asinine interviews on TV with people complaining about how shocked they were about the crowds, only to then admit they had driven hundreds of miles to be there themselves. It’s my home town and I have family down there, they won’t go anywhere near the town centre and beachfront due to the crowds. People are also behaving despicably, yelling abuse, dumping litter, parking in the middle of roads, setting fires, even defecating in public areas. All for a sun-tan and a dip in the water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
26 Jun 2020 10:17 - 26 Jun 2020 13:25 #311404 by Gary Sax
I can relate to this feeling as someone who lives in a resort town. Every weekend people from Phoenix pour into our town and behave really irresponsibly wrt Covid and everything else.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2020 13:25 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, mezike, n815e

More
26 Jun 2020 11:53 - 26 Jun 2020 11:56 #311406 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
I'm sorry that it is so awful in the places where some of you live.

CT seems to be doing pretty well. Transmission rate is low, and we have enough excess testing capacity that they are offering free drive through/walk-up testing for essential workers and state employees that have contact with the public, who have no symptoms, no risk factors, and no doctor's note. This, obviously, makes our positive test rate low.

Unfortunately, this has also given people a false sense of security. Especially young people, like the Spawn.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2020 11:56 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, mezike

More
26 Jun 2020 12:41 #311408 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Coronavirus
Illinois' graph looks like countries that successfully dealt with it, so that's cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
26 Jun 2020 14:03 #311410 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Coronavirus
Fellow Illinoisan here! Agreed that Illinois' numbers look hopeful. I think Pritzker has been doing a good job overall. God, just imagine how fucked we'd be if we'd reelected that dipshit Rauner ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JoelCFC25, Gary Sax

More
26 Jun 2020 14:12 #311411 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Coronavirus
Houston area just went to Code Red today. Apparently, our hospitals are at 96% capacity, and the next two weeks are going to be brutal.

I don't get out much, but when I do I mostly see mask compliance. So far, I haven't seen any of the "Masks Hurt My Freedom" crowd. It will be interesting to see how our idiot Governor and Lt. Governor backtrack their enthusiasm for re-opening over the next few days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds