October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
01 Jul 2020 10:45 #311563 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Coronavirus
The Jefferson Parish President beat N.O. Mayor Cantrell to the punch. She is now mandating masks worn in public and at businesses. Noncompliance is $500 or 6 months in jail.

N.O. has a mandate for masks worn in businesses as of last week. However, I still see a fuckton of people wandering about, not wearing masks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2020 07:51 #311599 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Coronavirus
"When I wear a mask I look just like The Lone Ranger" he says without any trace of irony. Apparently it makes the virus 'go away'.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, n815e

More
02 Jul 2020 11:40 #311607 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
Razor wire to come down next Thursday and isolation to stop for my residential area (about 2 sq miles). The area has had no new infections since June 18th.

Other residential areas will remain in lock down and will only be relieved when the infection rate stops climbing for 2 weeks.

Already been asked out to a makeshift bar to celebrate next Friday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, ChristopherMD, Msample

More
02 Jul 2020 12:20 #311611 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I expect that next winter, we will be facing multiple vaccines that were rushed through the development process. The FDA has already given a green light to begin production if the initial clinical trials are promising and it works for at least 50% of the study group. There won't be enough for everybody, so people will need to choose one or two vaccines to take and hope for the best. Some people will take the most expensive vaccine, in hopes that will be the best. Some people will take the least expensive vaccine because that is what they can afford. Many people won't have a choice in which vaccine is available to them, and many other people won't be able to get a vaccine at all. By 2021, it may become apparent that people need to get an annual Covid-19 vaccine because the immunity is short-lived.

If all of this sounds pessimistic, I think that I am actually being optimistic, because we have never successfully developed a vaccine for a coronavirus before. No vaccine for SARS, MERS, or the common cold, and those are all coronaviruses. I think that we will have multiple vaccines for COVID-19, but the results will be somewhat disappointing and not the silver bullet that we have all been awaiting.

My coworker has not gotten her test results back yet, but reported today that she is experiencing headaches and nausea. She will be in self-quarantine for at least two weeks and will need a negative test result before returning to work. I wish our current testing was more reliable, and also more widely available.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
02 Jul 2020 13:24 - 02 Jul 2020 13:25 #311613 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
At ~55/230 on tests today. Yesterday, the lines were so long the testing center closed after just a couple hours because we don't have enough tests.

Strongly think that this is a *huge* issue. I think the superior america myth is so embedded that people are only slowly realizing that other places are cautious but normalish due to testing/tracing.
www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/0...and-pathetic/613747/
Last edit: 02 Jul 2020 13:25 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
02 Jul 2020 13:34 #311615 by Secret Satan
Replied by Secret Satan on topic Coronavirus
This is Pete (Superfly).

Just wanted to let people know that Kentucky folks had this in late January, early February. We know people who almost died from it, personally, and we know people whose direct relatives have died of it.

My whole family had it. I had a shitty "chest cold" that felt like nasty bronchitis. Hit me literally overnight, lasted 2 days, then went away with no after effect. We had just cleaned the garage and I forgot to wear my N95 mask (silica dust is soooo bad) so I thought that was what did it.

Then my wife got it next, a week later. She was bedridden. "Feels like an elephant is on my chest". Super congestion, cough from hell, super high temps (103,104) for a week. Sudden onset, no other symptoms. Lasted a week and a half then she was up and about.

Then my 11 year old got it. Little boogery, cough and high fever, lasted 2 days max, sudden onset and went away as quickly as it came. No other symptoms.

My 18 year old got it right after, and she got SCARY sick. She has bad lungs to begin with thanks to asthma-like bad lungs. She took 4 days off, which she NEVER does. Didn't go to school, or work. She was coughing so hard she was turning blue. Took her to the doc, who gave her those cough pearls and a Z-pack which didn't help. It lasted 3 weeks soup to nuts and, again, high fever, lethargy, cough and congestion was the only symptoms. Left as suddenly as it came.

That same doctor we saw had a wig on, turns out she was undergoing chemo.

I joined this CUNY study, Chasing Covid, and I encourage you to subscribe and join during a next phase.

That is all, just wanted people to know that this was here in early January, for sure, and what to expect. Wife and I are heavy former smokers, should add that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Shellhead, Rliyen, jeb, Sagrilarus, jpat, mezike, Sacco, sornars, cdennett, Gregarius, Nodens, n815e

More
02 Jul 2020 14:00 #311620 by Gary Sax
Stay safe, scary stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
02 Jul 2020 18:47 #311629 by mtagge
Replied by mtagge on topic Coronavirus

ThirstyMan wrote: Already been asked out to a makeshift bar to celebrate next Friday.

Please be careful. Almost everything I have read points to bars being the most common super spreader locations. It makes sense. People can't wear masks, the point is to circulate, alcohol impairs judgement.

Frankly bars should be the last thing to re-open. Hopefully the "makeshift" means that it doesn't have those same risk vectors.

More
02 Jul 2020 18:54 #311630 by Jexik

More
03 Jul 2020 17:34 #311655 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus

Jexik wrote: Meanwhile, in Alabama:

www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/alabama-corona...ties-trnd/index.html

Honestly, I was a fucking idiot when I was young, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Jul 2020 19:32 #311659 by Hatchling
Replied by Hatchling on topic Coronavirus
The Coronavirus parties apparently are not really a thing:

www.wired.com/story/covid-parties-are-no...F8MljePJYerOyclAJ9OI
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, dysjunct, Jexik, n815e

More
04 Jul 2020 12:57 #311680 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
I heard this WAS a thing in prison though, guys hoping for early release.

More
04 Jul 2020 16:20 #311684 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus

mtagge wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Already been asked out to a makeshift bar to celebrate next Friday.

Please be careful. Almost everything I have read points to bars being the most common super spreader locations. It makes sense. People can't wear masks, the point is to circulate, alcohol impairs judgement.

Frankly bars should be the last thing to re-open. Hopefully the "makeshift" means that it doesn't have those same risk vectors.

When I say bar, I mean my friend's apartment. We don't have bars in Kuwait as alcohol is illegal.

It will be me and two friends. As we have all been quarantined for 6 weeks, I don't think we have too much to worry about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge, BillyBobThwarton

More
09 Jul 2020 22:14 #311837 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Big Game Theory is worth a read for those with school-age kids -- boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/106380/loomin...l-re-opening-plans-a

More
09 Jul 2020 22:22 #311838 by Gary Sax
Sounds like our "plan."

So take this in the spirit that it's offered, but my sense is that everyone knows this is all horseshit. But if you look at the "plans" out there the thing holding them together is that they don't cost much extra. All the real solutions to this cost an absolute mint or require a TON of staff and pedagogical work. So it feels... naive and kind of in bad faith to not couple the discussion of how to actually do things during covid with spending money on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.852 seconds