October 09, 2023
2478 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
20 Jul 2020 17:23 #312255 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
I'd seen those reports, Sag, and I'd like to see more follow-up too. Is this some kind of Pareto Principle at work, where 20% of the infected spread 80% of the disease? Or just filler pablum to make column inches in the paper to get more readers?

Ars Technica still has probably the best easily digestible coverage of the disease and what's going on.

arstechnica.com/series/covid-19-coverage/

Either way, folks should wear masks. I heard a Libertarian(!) comment that he sees masks like he sees trigger discipline. It's a simple, easily done thing to protect others in a low-risk, though still potentially high-impact dangerous situation. It's not some infringement of personal finger placement liberties; it's just being a decent human while in the vicinity of other humans. Anyone that craves liberty and freedom from government "harassment" should be quite focused on Not Being A Stupid Dick All The Time, because being a stupid dick all the time makes folks want to enlist the government to control stupid dickishness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Ancient_of_MuMu, mezike, cdennett, Gregarius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2020 17:08 #312447 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
live feed of me getting the e-mail that we're online only until August 31st:

giphy.com/gifs/gopop-reddit-antonio-band...-1guRIRFV5gN4ikrUakg
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JoelCFC25, SebastianBludd, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

More
30 Jul 2020 14:08 #312619 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus
I'm glad Jason10mm posted the official deaths by age group COVID national stats to counter those scaremongering school deaths prediction fiction, the only real problem with kids going back to school is they become the disease vectors and may kill their teachers.
Here's the official England & Wales stats for up to 17 July for a similar comparison:
Attachments:

More
30 Jul 2020 14:54 #312624 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

southernman wrote: the only real problem with kids going back to school is they become the disease vectors and may kill their teachers.

...and their parents, or their grandparents, or anyone who comes into contact with anyone they live with. If that's the only real problem, it's still a pretty bad one.

Anyway, RIP Herman Cain. Maybe shouldn't have gone to the Tulsa rally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, BillyBobThwarton, mc, n815e

More
30 Jul 2020 15:16 #312631 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
The cardiovascular problems that may be long term that are starting to come out from people---who didn't even have to go to the hospital---is extremely concerning. These could be non-mortality symptoms people could be dealing with for the rest of their lives.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, JoelCFC25, Sagrilarus, n815e

More
30 Jul 2020 17:16 #312642 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Coronavirus
The way they are handled here is that we are notified if we did have an employee tested positive. They also tell us when was the last day they were in the office. The person's name is not reported. The only people who are notified are the ones who may have had contact with that individual. Again, the name is not reported.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2020 17:20 #312643 by Rliyen

Jexik wrote: I've got some third hand information that it seems like fewer people are getting regular colds with all the mask wearing these days.

(My mom said my dad's doctor reports that fewer people are getting colds).

Kinda neat if true, and makes you wonder if mask wearing will be the new normal every winter.

It certainly should be.

More
30 Jul 2020 17:26 #312644 by Rliyen
Here's my state breakdown. As shitty as the government is, at least the Dept. of Health is on the ball.

La. Dept of Health Cases/Deaths/Breakdown
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Nodens

More
30 Jul 2020 18:02 #312646 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus

Rliyen wrote: Here's my state breakdown. As shitty as the government is, at least the Dept. of Health is on the ball.

La. Dept of Health Cases/Deaths/Breakdown

My sister works as a nurse in Shreveport, so I just sent her that link.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
30 Jul 2020 18:19 #312649 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Rushed government responses to COVID-19 continue to add to my work load. State of Pennsylvania legislature approved funding for grant money for businesses to pay additional hazard pay to their front-line workers, and Pennsylvania employers have from July 20th to July 31st to apply. I found out about this from one of our business owners just after lunch today, and scrambled to get our application in for our Pennsylvania subsidiary. It took me all afternoon to fill out the ten-page application, which included essay questions, a spreadsheet, and knowledge of the Pennsylvania senator and representative representing our location in the state legislature.

If we get approved, we can pay an extra $3.00 per hour to each of our Pennsylvania employees with a payrate of $20 per hour or less, for up to 40 hours per week for 10 weeks. If we don't get approved, our employees will hear about the program and become disgruntled that we didn't get approved. Even though I completed the application process, the grants will be handed out based on risk level that employees face, until the grant money is gone. Our workers all need to show up for work and can't always maintain social distancing in the workplace, but they are not dealing with COVID-19 patients or customers in general, so we are eligible but low-ranked. I suppose our owners could voluntarily just pay the hazard pay even without the grant, but two out of three owners are Republicans, so it's unlikely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
30 Jul 2020 23:29 #312660 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Coronavirus
A 30 year old gaming friend got it a couple of months back.

This guy is young and a martial arts fanatic. There’s nobody in better shape.

He was pretty sick but not hospitalized.

He was sent to the hospital a couple of weeks ago, his bout with covid has permanently damaged his heart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
31 Jul 2020 09:55 #312665 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Coronavirus

dysjunct wrote:

southernman wrote: the only real problem with kids going back to school is they become the disease vectors and may kill their teachers.

...and their parents, or their grandparents, or anyone who comes into contact with anyone they live with. If that's the only real problem, it's still a pretty bad one.

My post and comment about the kids becoming the disease vectors was to infer that they would then spread it back into their homes and communities ... obviously not enough inference was created.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
31 Jul 2020 12:52 #312670 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

southernman wrote:

dysjunct wrote:

My post and comment about the kids becoming the disease vectors was to infer that they would then spread it back into their homes and communities ... obviously not enough inference was created.

No worries; thanks for the clarification.

My old youth pastor tested positive a couple days ago. He'd been having trouble breathing and went in to get checked out. He's had serious asthma his whole life so it was not a good situation. Thankfully, he is doing much better as of yesterday -- was feeling good enough to do a Zoom meeting etc. Hopefully he continues to mend. He's in his mid-50s with three teenage kids.

More
01 Aug 2020 12:35 #312700 by ratpfink
Replied by ratpfink on topic Coronavirus

n815e wrote: A 30 year old gaming friend got it a couple of months back.

He was sent to the hospital a couple of weeks ago, his bout with covid has permanently damaged his heart.

Yeah, to me it's sad that these "not deaths but forever fucked" aren't metrics that are tracked that I've seen. IMO, this isn't too far from a casuality in war.

More
01 Aug 2020 13:48 #312702 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Coronavirus

ratpfink wrote:

n815e wrote: A 30 year old gaming friend got it a couple of months back.

Yeah, to me it's sad that these "not deaths but forever fucked" aren't metrics that are tracked that I've seen. IMO, this isn't too far from a casuality in war.

No doubt. Another metric that won't get tracked: households surviving even minor CoVid, now in medically induced financial insolvency.

These protests aren't going to die down. Right now the anger is centered around policing, but economic protests are just around the corner. Eviction moratoriums are dropping off this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.585 seconds