October 09, 2023
2477 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
06 Aug 2020 18:54 #312863 by ChristopherMD
The following user(s) said Thank You: themothman421, Varys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2020 19:13 - 06 Aug 2020 19:17 #312865 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

Host Laura Ingraham noted that South Dakota has a death rate that is 11 times lower than New York State

As crazy as it sounds, South Dakota and New York have about the same number of deaths per day, in spite of their vast difference in population (about 1:20). Ms. Ingraham apparently hasn’t seen a newspaper since April. On a per-capita basis South Dakota is pretty rough.

SoDak doesn’t have any more to worry about from this event than any other state. They’ll all get infected and then leave to all corners of the States.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2020 19:17 by Sagrilarus.

More
06 Aug 2020 20:16 - 06 Aug 2020 20:17 #312866 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus
I'll very lightly disagree with you. These sparsely populated states have a real dr and hospital deficit. Texas observer and Tribune have amazing coverage of this. I lived in West Texas and the predicament of mostly rural West Texans is horrifying from a basic normal health care perspective. One of my best friends lives in ND and the only place with beds left is the capitol, Fargo.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2020 20:17 by Gary Sax.

More
10 Aug 2020 12:44 #312956 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Coronavirus
Brutal erasure of Bismarck, the flyover town in a flyover state in flyover country! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
11 Aug 2020 18:31 - 11 Aug 2020 18:31 #312998 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
My sister's family flew from MA to CA to visit with us. Face shields, lysol wipes on everything, they had to wash clothes when they got here, but it seems their protocols worked. We're almost two weeks post exposure to them and no symptoms (my wife is tested weekly, she's our "pool tester.")

It was great to have them here. Eleven people in the house, my grocery bills were outrageous. Cooking was a half-day affair, basically, but worth it. We hit the pool every day, the beach a couple of times, and just hung out and played games and had a dose of normalcy amongst others for ten days.

We have to maintain quarantine from our local isolation buddies for a little longer, and they have to quarantine for two weeks after their return, but still the gains in our mental health probably make up for all the trouble. Thank God no one got sick.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2020 18:31 by jeb. Reason: clarity

More
11 Aug 2020 22:22 #313002 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Is it overly dramatic that I evaluate potential activities by whether it is worth risking my life or even just my long-term health?

After cutting up the large tree branches brought down by June storms, I had a lot of excess firewood on hand, and my uncle offered to take it off my hands. He and his girlfriend came over on Saturday, and the three of us loaded up his truck, with all three of us wearing masks. Afterwards, they were planning to go to a good nearby restaurant called India Palace, and invited me to join them. I did a brief mental calculation: "Am I willing to die for Indian food? No." and declined their invitation.

I still go to work five to six days per week, but that's because my last two bouts of unemployment lasted a total of 16 months, and I'm not prepared to go through that kind of suffering again so soon. Nobody at our workplace deals with customers, and I only see maybe two job candidates per week, plus we all wear masks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Nodens, n815e

More
12 Aug 2020 18:44 - 12 Aug 2020 18:44 #313023 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Coronavirus
What's the consensus on alternatives to shaking hands and hugging friends? Are we bowing now? Amigo salute? Lame wave?
Last edit: 12 Aug 2020 18:44 by ChristopherMD.

More
12 Aug 2020 19:41 #313025 by birdman37
Replied by birdman37 on topic Coronavirus

ChristopherMD wrote: What's the consensus on alternatives to shaking hands and hugging friends? Are we bowing now? Amigo salute? Lame wave?

Blow into your face mask.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, n815e

More
13 Aug 2020 11:21 #313064 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
I just got finished with paperwork and orientation for a new employee, and gave her a tour of the facility. Part of the orientation involved emphasizing the importance of handwashing and wearing a mask. Towards the end of the tour, I showed her the breakroom. It was 10:00, so the smokers were all outside. Of the six people sitting in the breakroom, five were not wearing masks, and they were all sitting near each other. It seems like many Americans have gotten bored with the pandemic, and have decided to pretend it isn't happening anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen

More
13 Aug 2020 11:49 #313069 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Coronavirus
On another forum, I saw a thread about the Buckeyes' football season being cancelled due to Covid. Here in Columbus that went about as well as you would expect. One writer said that a 3% mortality rate wasn't that big of a deal, and folks should just suck it up and go root for the Scarlet and Gray. JFC.

More
13 Aug 2020 12:14 #313073 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Coronavirus

Shellhead wrote: I just got finished with paperwork and orientation for a new employee, and gave her a tour of the facility. Part of the orientation involved emphasizing the importance of handwashing and wearing a mask. Towards the end of the tour, I showed her the breakroom. It was 10:00, so the smokers were all outside. Of the six people sitting in the breakroom, five were not wearing masks, and they were all sitting near each other. It seems like many Americans have gotten bored with the pandemic, and have decided to pretend it isn't happening anymore.

That is absolutely the case as I watch my colleagues, students, and staff return to campus. It breaks my fucking heart. I can't believe we missed our opportunity to have buy in---to be fair, in a lot of places people gave up months in total lockdown which isn't nothing. We just didn't test and trace during that window so here we are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, jeb

More
13 Aug 2020 12:25 #313074 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
Today we sent my daughter and the other young woman in our bubble out into the wasteland on a mission to Brooklyn*. I honestly felt like I was in an episode of Walking Dead or some apocalyptic "future" movie. Reviewing protocols, gearing them up with food, water, masks, and supplies. The overlong departure scene with our cautions and their impatience and reassurances.

Holy shit, how did we get here?

*Mission to retrieve the other young women's belongings from her shared apartment. She came up here to live with her mother in March thinking that it would only be a few weeks. She finally face the reality that she wasn't going back, and gave up the apartment. She and her mother also made the decision to abandon anything that doesn't fit into my CRV, which means most of her furniture. Fleeing the city, leaving things behind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Msample, n815e

More
13 Aug 2020 12:43 #313075 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Coronavirus
Just floored that folks are watching all this play out and will still pull that lever for the GOP after this. There is absolutely no accountability whatsoever for this colossally failed response.

Noted by others, more countries accept North Korean passports for travel than USA passports. It's a top to bottom embarrassment, and we are just going to keep on plugging away collectively at doing FUCK ALL to stop or slow this virus and hold our leaders accountable for their dismal failures. I am at a loss to understand how the US just gave up to Russian trollbots so we could appoint more Heritage Foundation doofuses to the federal bench.

I think I need to be done with knowing things. It doesn't do me any good and it makes no difference in the world at all. This is some next level nihilism for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Gary Sax, RobertB, mrspank, boothwah, hotseatgames, Gregarius, Varys, n815e

More
13 Aug 2020 13:32 #313077 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

jeb wrote: I think I need to be done with knowing things. It doesn't do me any good and it makes no difference in the world at all. This is some next level nihilism for me.

I feel like a Suburban Homesteader. Like the world beyond my home and immediate community has become so remote. It doesn't care about me and there is nothing I can do about it. My primary concern is simply the well-being and survival of my family, friends and neighbors. As long as that "Wells Fargo Wagon" can get in and out, we're good. So a fallen tree blocking the road, or finding fridge and freezer space for the neighbor's perishables when power goes out is more concerning than what countries accept US passports. I simply can't think about anything beyond the boundaries of our immediate existence. It's just too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
13 Aug 2020 14:40 #313079 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Coronavirus

jeb wrote: Just floored that folks are watching all this play out and will still pull that lever for the GOP after this. There is absolutely no accountability whatsoever for this colossally failed response.

I talk to my Mom about once every two weeks and I try not to get too agitated - She is slowly waking up to the existence of the "Fox Bubble," so she's finally getting fed up with her politicians. But it won't change her vote. For her, there can be nothing more evil than a party that places the murdering babies for convenience on their policy plank. I use that terminology not to start a row over abortion, but to plainly state how evangelicals view this. So whatever "shenanigans" Trump may or may not have done (Mom, he did them all), it would be a moral failing for to cast her ballot for anyone evil enough to favor killing babies for convenience.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds