October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Minneapolis is a Warzone

More
02 Jun 2020 05:36 #310868 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
How's that going to play in the bible belt?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2020 10:05 #310871 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
Minneapolis, May 30, 2020:

More
02 Jun 2020 10:22 #310872 by Shellhead
A few days ago, I received and accepted an invitation to join a Facebook group that was coordinating neighborhood watch efforts in Minneapolis. One of my friends was one of the group admins and also a homeowner, so I knew the group was legitimate. Sunday, the group changed its name due to concerns that it might attract attention from police or racist organizations. Two hours ago, I watched a video posted to that group that showed Minneapolis citizens being dragged off their porches and taken into custody because they were in violation of the curfew, even though the curfew doesn't extend to porches. Now that Facebook group is gone, video and all. Maybe the admins took the site down, or maybe I got booted out despite being friends with one of the admins. I never posted there, but I considered it a useful resource when trouble broke out in my area on Friday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, mrspank, Frohike, n815e

More
02 Jun 2020 10:41 #310873 by hotseatgames

mc wrote: How's that going to play in the bible belt?

Any "Christians" who support Trump should acknowledge to themselves that their real religion is White Supremacy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mrspank, san il defanso

More
02 Jun 2020 10:49 #310874 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone

bfkiller wrote: Having a calm crowd dispersed with tear gas and rubber bullets to enable an eye-rolling photo op is maybe the most despicable / pathetic act Trump has done in a long, long list of despicable / pathetic acts. It blows my mind that more Republicans don't denounce that prick.

Supposedly, he wanted to show how tough he was after reports of him hiding in his bunker came out.

Quite honestly, I find assaulting peaceful protesters, exercising their rights, so he could stage a photo op to be a despicable act of a tyrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, RobertB, hotseatgames, Scott_F, Pugnax555

More
02 Jun 2020 11:08 #310876 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
Charlie Pierce on Trump:

"A mewling tub of unresolved psychological flotsam, with the moldy stench of the bunker still clinging to him, thumping his bloated chest and threatening martial law while, just up the street, police and soldiers were deployed as special effects against peaceful protestors so this plump and odious little man could inflate his withered mushroom at the expense of a once-great republic."
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, n815e, Andi Lennon

More
02 Jun 2020 12:58 #310877 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
If you think he's going to shake his head and leave the White House peacefully when he loses, you are out of your mind.

We elected a tyrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mrspank, Gregarius, n815e

More
02 Jun 2020 13:28 #310878 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone

jeb wrote: If you think he's going to shake his head and leave the White House peacefully when he loses, you are out of your mind.

We elected a tyrant.

I'm amused that you think there will be an election for him to lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Varys

More
02 Jun 2020 14:53 #310880 by ChristopherMD

Gregarius wrote:

jeb wrote: If you think he's going to shake his head and leave the White House peacefully when he loses, you are out of your mind.

We elected a tyrant.

I'm amused that you think there will be an election for him to lose.

Putin doesn't just cancel elections. He cancels his opponents. Who we gonna vote for after Biden drops dead in late October?

More
02 Jun 2020 15:25 #310883 by Shellhead

Shellhead wrote: A few days ago, I received and accepted an invitation to join a Facebook group that was coordinating neighborhood watch efforts in Minneapolis. One of my friends was one of the group admins and also a homeowner, so I knew the group was legitimate. Sunday, the group changed its name due to concerns that it might attract attention from police or racist organizations. Two hours ago, I watched a video posted to that group that showed Minneapolis citizens being dragged off their porches and taken into custody because they were in violation of the curfew, even though the curfew doesn't extend to porches. Now that Facebook group is gone, video and all. Maybe the admins took the site down, or maybe I got booted out despite being friends with one of the admins. I never posted there, but I considered it a useful resource when trouble broke out in my area on Friday.

Group was back up by lunch time. But now I can only read some of the comments while the rest are hidden. The rising anti-police sentiment has the group currently debating who they should call if they catch white supremacists or others in the act of setting fires or delivering notes that threaten minorities. Most of the group doesn't have a good answer except contact somebody from the group and definitely don't call 911 because that might get minorities shot. But then what? Citizen's arrest? A vicious beating? What if the suspects have guns?

This is the central problem that we all must face. We can't have a civilization without laws, and we need some sort of law enforcement to back those laws. But the nature of law enforcement work is unpleasant and sometimes dangerous, so there will always be a tendency for law enforcement to become too violent and to close ranks against any external criticism. But without anybody enforcing the laws upon law enforcement personnel, we end up with a highly organized group of fascists who won't follow our laws. We need better quality cops with better supervison and improved accountability, but how do we get there when the police union will impede all progress?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Gary Sax, dysjunct, Frohike

More
02 Jun 2020 16:15 #310888 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
One of the rare political positions I hold that unites in opposition both my right-wing family (mostly law enforcement) and my left-wing in-laws (mostly teachers) is that I think public employee unions ought to be abolished. I think they are anti-democratic. You already get to vote for the person who best represents your interests, and then you go organize against them anyway? Fuck that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
02 Jun 2020 17:19 - 02 Jun 2020 17:21 #310894 by mc
Replied by mc on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
[edit: 7am snarky unionist response - this isn't the time or place, deleted.]
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 17:21 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
02 Jun 2020 17:26 #310895 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
Although I was (mostly) joking about the election, one thing of which I am certain fills me with dread: we will never be rid of Trump. Not as president, but as a never-ending source of trolling, division, and mayhem. He will be on Twitter forever. He will be on Fox News forever. He will never shut up, never stop grabbing the spotlight, never stop embarrassing our country. It makes me sick to my stomach. I can only hope that his ability to effect any actual harm will be revoked in November.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
02 Jun 2020 18:25 #310896 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
He's 73 and not exactly health-conscious. That does limit the definition of "forever" a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton

More
02 Jun 2020 18:46 #310897 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
There's still Jr.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds