October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Minneapolis is a Warzone

More
05 Jun 2020 09:58 #310943 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone

ubarose wrote: Thank you Jeb. Good list. You might want to add work gloves to protect your hands.

Something that I told my daughter, that I assume everyone here knows, but may be worth mentioning is that a Protest is a very different thing than a March.

Marches are nice organized walks with city permits and appropriate fees paid. Where you assemble and the route you take is prearranged and blocked off appropriately by the city. At the end of the day you get a little news coverage and go home with a little sunburn and maybe a blister on your heel.

Protests are acts of civil disobedience. You are breaking the law. At the very least you are violating some city ordinance or other regarding blocking traffic, number of people assembled, disturbing the peace etc. How it goes, even with a peaceful, well controlled protest, entirely depends upon how the city and the police handle it.

That is a really interesting distinction. I never thought about that before. Therefore, having considered it, I think it's more accurate to say that my wife and I attended a March yesterday, and not a Protest. The organizers worked with the police to obtain a permit, block off traffic, and plot a route.

Thanks so much for all the great advice everyone! Thankfully it was largely not needed, as everything went down peacefully. The police were definitely present, but they weren't dressed in combat riot gear, and they generally stayed around the outskirts of the crowd and didn't interfere in any way that I noticed.

I'm not saying we were the oldest people there, but we were definitely dragging the median age upward. The vast majority of attendees were teenagers or early 20's, which was inspiring. I wish they'd had a better sound system, as we couldn't hear any of the speakers before the march. We were trying to maintain some semblance of social distancing, and had positioned ourselves near the back of the crowd, and were simply too far away to hear much of anything.

I did see two instances of counter-protesters trying to stir shit up. The first was an old, white man who rode his bike past the crowd and yelled some nonsense. He was shouted down, and he rode off. The second was while we were marching. Another old, white man (weary sigh .... ) was standing near the crowd as they passed by, shouting some bullshit. The mood of the marchers shifted instantly, and all these young people started screaming back and him, and shouting profanity, and moving toward him. My wife and I instinctively moved into Parent Mode, and started encouraging everyone to keep walking, just ignore him, just keep moving, etc. The instigator walked away, and the situation settled down.

That was the only instance we encountered where the mood got ugly. Overall, I think the tone was righteous anger mixed with a strong sense that there's an opportunity here to seize a critical moment, and we can't let it slip past. It was encouraging and inspiring to see so many young people politically engaged. The last three years have been devastating, and I've found it so easy to slip into cynicism and despair. The march was the exact opposite of that.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice! Thankfully, I didn't have to experience first-hand was tear gas feels like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b., Shellhead, jeb, dysjunct, Sagrilarus, mrspank, hotseatgames, Sacco, Gregarius, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2020 11:34 #310945 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone

Joebot wrote: It sure seems like police unions aren't traditional unions in the way we normally think of the term. They're not fighting for benefits and overtime pay and workplace safely. Their primary focus is to protect their own from all criticism or consequence. The police union will always "circle the wagons" to protect their own, and that is a huge problem.

This is the thrust of a really superb thread from a Minneapolis City Council member (Ward 3) the other day: Could not retrieve bearer token (consumer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ThirstyMan

More
05 Jun 2020 13:10 #310948 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
That one tweet really nails it: "The amount of police brutality at the anti-police brutality protests is proving a lot of points."

More
05 Jun 2020 20:04 #310950 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
Bowser for President. ;)

More
05 Jun 2020 23:29 #310957 by Shellhead
DC mayor Muriel Bowser just trolled Trump on an epic level.

Trump now officially lives at:

1600 Black Lives Matter Plaza NW
Washington, DC 20500
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, bfkiller, mtagge, n815e

More
11 Jun 2020 21:32 #311078 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
“Writers Guild of America, East announced a formal resolution calling on the AFL-CIO to disaffiliate from the International Union of Police Associations“

“The AFL-CIO includes a process for kicking out affiliate unions, if ‘the policies or ­activities of any affiliate are consistently directed ­toward the achievement of the program or purposes of authoritarianism, totalitarianism, terrorism and other forces that suppress individual liberties and freedom of association and oppose the basic principles of free and democratic trade unionism.’”

Full Article Here
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

More
12 Jun 2020 09:44 #311089 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
I seriously don’t understand all the vitriol posted to game companies and sites that are posting support for BLM. It’s like these shitheads are up in arms that not everyone in the community is a closet racist.

BGG got threatened by an anonymous user.
Wargames Website outright told racists to fuck off, he was sick of their shit.
Monolith’s FB page is getting heated.

More
12 Jun 2020 10:24 #311090 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone

n815e wrote: It’s like these shitheads are up in arms that not everyone in the community is a closet racist.

Huh.

More
12 Jun 2020 12:49 #311095 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone

ubarose wrote:

n815e wrote: I seriously don’t understand all the vitriol posted to game companies and sites that are posting support for BLM. It’s like these shitheads are up in arms that not everyone in the community is a closet racist.

I think a good first step to not being associated with the group that is being called out, is to not call people who support BLM shitheads*.

I read it that he is saying those who are chastising companies for supporting BLM are the shitheads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, RobertB, jay718, ChristopherMD, Gregarius, n815e

More
12 Jun 2020 13:49 #311098 by Shellhead
670 buildings were damaged in Minneapolis and Saint Paul during the riots, including 79 that were burned to the ground:

www.startribune.com/minneapolis-st-paul-...sts-riots/569930671/

More
12 Jun 2020 14:24 #311101 by n815e

ubarose wrote:

n815e wrote: I seriously don’t understand all the vitriol posted to game companies and sites that are posting support for BLM. It’s like these shitheads are up in arms that not everyone in the community is a closet racist.

I think that what you are saying is that you, and people like you are feeling unjustly attacked. This is entirely understandable as you most likely have some common identities with the group that is being called out (i.e. you may identify as white).

I think a good first step to not being associated with the group that is being called out, is to not call people who support BLM shitheads*.

*I would appreciate it if you rethink the manner in which you have expressed yourself, and edit appropriately.

I’m not sure what you think I should edit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
12 Jun 2020 15:30 #311104 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone

n815e wrote:

Sorry my bad. I read "these shitheads" as referring back to " game companies and sites that are posting support for BLM." Grammar is a tricky thing. I was surprised, as it is not the kind of thing that I would expect you would say, however, some people have felt attacked by sweeping statements by over zealous supporters. Please accept my apologies. I will remove my comment.

More
12 Jun 2020 16:56 #311109 by n815e

ubarose wrote:

n815e wrote:

Sorry my bad. I read "these shitheads" as referring back to " game companies and sites that are posting support for BLM." Grammar is a tricky thing. I was surprised, as it is not the kind of thing that I would expect you would say, however, some people have felt attacked by sweeping statements by over zealous supporters. Please accept my apologies. I will remove my comment.

Perfectly okay!
These are emotionally charged times for all of us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, jay718

More
12 Jun 2020 21:06 #311113 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Minneapolis is a Warzone
This is a very measured response to the collapse of what truth means. Highly recommended.

Sam Harris on truth and violence
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, mrspank, birdman37

More
14 Apr 2021 13:48 #322084 by Shellhead
A bit of humor after two consecutive nights of curfew in the Twin Cities due to the police killing of Daunte Wright:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds