October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

I Just Wanna Say...

More
23 Jun 2020 15:35 #311333 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic I Just Wanna Say...

ubarose wrote: peach vs salmon.

I'll just mention that "peach vs salmon" is my Niagara Falls phrase, the result of a truly horrendously bad blind date 30 years ago. I still twitch when someone says it, I'm ok when I see it in print.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2020 16:10 - 23 Jun 2020 16:13 #311334 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic I Just Wanna Say...

Sagrilarus wrote:

I'll just mention that "peach vs salmon" is my Niagara Falls phrase, the result of a truly horrendously bad blind date 30 years ago. I still twitch when someone says it, I'm ok when I see it in print.

OMG me too! You are going to have to tell me that story.

I literally just got out of a meeting where I couldn't take it anymore and finally just had to blurt out:

"Do you want #fdf5e6 or #ffe4b5 or #ffd0b5"

Google it to understand the depths of my hell.

P.S. My team leader, who was the only other programmer in the meeting, sees all of these as grey.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2020 16:13 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
23 Jun 2020 16:33 #311337 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

OMG me too! You are going to have to tell me that story.

I literally just got out of a meeting where I couldn't take it anymore and finally just had to blurt out:

"Do you want #fdf5e6 or #ffe4b5 or #ffd0b5"

Google it to understand the depths of my hell.

P.S. My team leader, who was the only other programmer in the meeting, sees all of these as grey.

I had an end-user tell me today that no, we are not allowed export data to One Drive where Power BI can get a hold of it, but yes, he wants the Power BI report that runs from that same data to update every hour. I explained to him that that meant I would have to hand-copy the data every hour, every day (weekends and evenings included) to keep it up to date. There was a BIG slice of silence on the Teams call when I connected those two dots for him!

More
23 Jun 2020 17:11 #311340 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic I Just Wanna Say...
My group does a lot of ETL/reporting stuff as well, and we do our best to avoid the whole Microsoft stack as much as possible, because their change control and licensing shifts constantly disrupt our work.
"Flow is good!"
"Flow is bad."
"PowerApps released!"
"Scratch PowerApps."
"Sharepoint onprem is on the city plan!"
"Moving to SPO next quarter."

...it's exhausting. Our current preferred environments are Smartsheet for the dumb stacks/lists, with Tableau reporting, as well as Alteryx if we need to connect more elaborate APIs and set up scheduling, Python/R scripts, &c.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus

More
23 Jun 2020 19:12 - 23 Jun 2020 19:13 #311343 by Sagrilarus
We're a WebFOCUS/I-Way shop, but it doesn't do maps well. It's dynamite for everything else. A bit pricey. Scales well.

Power BI is standard Microsoft architecture -- 350 good ideas all piled into a box without interoperabilty or unity. Throw in that it runs in The Cloud and can't access our corporate data and it really ends up being a very glossy turd.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2020 19:13 by Sagrilarus.

More
23 Jun 2020 20:22 - 23 Jun 2020 20:28 #311344 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic I Just Wanna Say...
That "get stuff done between sprints" thing triggers me. The CSS work should be a sprint/backlog item. If sprints can't accommodate that work, then they should be expanded to do so. Otherwise you're just doing non-transparent work, which defeats the purpose of doing Agile in the first place.

I just intensely dislike this trend of workplaces adopting Agile language or half-assing some of the concepts, while still basically doing the same thing they've always done with "sprints" thrown into the mix.

Ok, scrum master/product owner hat off.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2020 20:28 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, jeb, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
23 Jun 2020 20:41 - 23 Jun 2020 20:45 #311345 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic I Just Wanna Say...
Could also go into the coronavirus thread but here I am, as a moderator it's my shop I guess.

I got my class assignments and "covid safe number" per classroom. It is like the twilight zone to me. 30 out of 100 tests were positive today in my county.

My administration tells me there will be more firings if we do not actually meet in person early August. Revenue thing. Fired 100 people out of ~1000 a couple weeks ago, with about ~5 days notice. People posting on our internal board they will be deported for not having a job along with this EO from the president on immigration. Just a month ago they had been working here comfortably for like 5+ years.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2020 20:45 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, n815e

More
23 Jun 2020 21:03 - 23 Jun 2020 21:21 #311346 by ubarose

Frohike wrote: That "get stuff done between sprints" thing triggers me. The CSS work should be a sprint/backlog item. If sprints can't accommodate that work, then they should be expanded to do so. Otherwise you're just doing non-transparent work, which defeats the purpose of doing Agile in the first place.

I just intensely dislike this trend of workplaces adopting Agile language or half-assing some of the concepts, while still basically doing the same thing they've always done with "sprints" thrown into the mix.

Ok, scrum master/product owner hat off.

Oh, they are totally half-assing it. Honestly, I think the only reason they do it is so our managers can show upper management a pretty graph that says we are on schedule. But they just tweak the numbers anyway so the graph looks good.

The crux of the problem is that our pool of testers is too shallow, and is shared by multiple projects. Everything bottle necks in testing, so we end up using sprint break for bug fixes. The testers are so far behind right now that we don’t even have any bugs to fix on our project, so we are calling the CSS cleanup bug fixes. The alternative is that the developers sit on their hands for a week doing nothing. Or we don’t have a break and the testers lose their ever loving minds.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2020 21:21 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
23 Jun 2020 22:07 #311347 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic I Just Wanna Say...
I wish my work had testers ... and a bug database ... and a build server .. and people commenting their code ... and people commenting their check ins

I thought these were sensible things that any software development team, so didn't think to ask when I was employed 6 months ago.

. Though things were tough for a couple of months homeschooling two teenage girls as a single father and having no outlets for de-stressing under lockdown. But for now my life is good. Luckily I am 18 months into my relationship with my girlfriend and still in the "love conquers all" phase, so I still have a vague positive outlook on life. My climbing gym just reopened and we are having some friends over on the weekend for the first time in months, so things feel better.

BUT ... things in Melbourne have suddenly turned around in the last week and for the first time we have a bit of community transmission, just as restrictions were easing, so we may be headed back into a severe lockdown soon, which is a very depressing thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
24 Jun 2020 11:19 - 24 Jun 2020 11:21 #311356 by ubarose

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I wish my work had testers ... and a bug database ... and a build server .. and people commenting their code ... and people commenting their check ins

Not having testers is foolish. Developers are terrible at testing. It's like that joke:

A programmer walks into a bar. Orders a beer. Orders 0 beers. Orders 99999999999 beers. Orders a lizard. Orders -1 beers. Orders a ueicbksjdhd.

First real customer walks in and asks where the bathroom is. The bar bursts into flames, killing everyone.

Also, testers get paid less than developers, so hiring one full-time tester buys you the equivalent amount of developer time at a discount.

I will confess to not adequately commenting my code.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 11:21 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ancient_of_MuMu, n815e

More
24 Jun 2020 11:36 #311357 by Sagrilarus
As best I can tell the state of the art in software development has gotten worse each decade I've been in the industry. There's no discipline enforced by anyone other than the people at the very bottom that are well aware of what happens when something goes wrong.

We're at about the equivalent of 12th century architects, where you build the first floor of a building, stay away from it for a few weeks to make sure it keeps standing, then return to build the next floor and repeat the process.

Agile feels remarkably similar to this concept, where the value-add is that you get to appease management with something quickly in scrum 1, then spend the next six months slowly rewriting everything you did early on to handle the bigger requirements of the program.

More
24 Jun 2020 12:48 - 24 Jun 2020 12:49 #311358 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic I Just Wanna Say...
I think Agile has a lot of value, but only if it's understood. What I see is a lot of MBA's that think they are supergeniuses adding "scrum" and "agile" to their powerpoint decks and fucking everything up by thinking their two month projects are two week projects now because they are "agile."

The fundamental switch to Agile thinking for project management is where your float is. On a traditional gated project, requirements are fixed, so you float time/resources to compensate. For Agile, time/resources are fixed, so you float requirements (post MVP). You can't say the new version needs to have this and this and this and it needs to happen by March 1. That's antithetical to Agile. We only have so many staff and they only work so many hours. This is how much can get done. Boardroom folks can grouse about it, that seem to be their raison d'être, but unless they hire more folks, it's just grousing.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 12:49 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, RobertB, Ancient_of_MuMu

More
24 Jun 2020 14:47 #311359 by Turek
Replied by Turek on topic I Just Wanna Say...
At least now its easier than ever to center divs.

More
24 Jun 2020 14:48 - 24 Jun 2020 14:49 #311360 by ubarose
I agree with both Sag & Jeb.

For my current project, Agile allowed our manager to go to upper management and say that with current resources the project would take 4 years to complete, but we could roll out functionality in pieces beginning in 8 months. That wasn't acceptable, so we were given more resources.

On the other hand, we told our manger that we needed 3 scrums to lay the foundation and fuck around with it, and that there would be nothing to see until the 4th scrum. He didn't like that, so he gave the team lead one-month to do "Pre-work" work (which is bullshit non-transparent work as described by Frohike) and set-up the foundation of the project. Then gave us two scrums to finish up the foundation and get out a couple of pages to test the foundation. He then panicked at the beginning of the 2nd scrum that we had "nothing to show" and forced us to abandon our foundation work and churn out some some stuff. We are now having to go back and rewrite and adjust things fucking repeatedly, because every time we lay in a new floor, the whole structure gets tippy.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2020 14:49 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
24 Jun 2020 15:05 #311361 by ubarose

Turek wrote: At least now its easier than ever to center divs.

I guess. In this particular case there were a bunch of nested divs, and there was an extra end tag in the middle and, therefore, also a missing end tag on the outer div. So I essentially had two containers instead of one. After walking away from it and then coming back to look at it with fresh eyes, it was immediately obvious.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds