October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Trading on BGG?

More
04 Mar 2022 09:53 #331292 by QPCloudy
Trading on BGG? was created by QPCloudy
What happened over there? I've been out of the loop a few years, but damn. There's a small few games I'm looking for, and a good number I am willing to part with. So, I've been submitting very fair and in most cases favorable to the other party trades. I check and these people log in every day and NEVER so much as deny the trade offer. Every single one goes ignored except for one dude who I've traded with in the past and we chit chat and such. Is it just dead over there for trades. Also I have a perfect trade rating with over 30 trades so I know it's not because of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2022 10:11 #331294 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Trading on BGG?
Yeah my experience with BGG and marketplace comms is similar. I don't do so very often, but my batting average is def under 50% in terms of getting any sort of response. I wonder if it will get even worse with the imminent increase from 3% to 8% for commissions.

More
04 Mar 2022 11:06 #331299 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Trading on BGG?
That's been the trend for the last several years. I usually just resubmit the trade about four or five times if it's something simple (a 1 for 1), just to see if the annoyance factor will be enough to get them to sacrifice the two whole mouse clicks it takes to just let the system say "No, thanks" for them. Had one like that that had expired for the third time yesterday and was about to put it in for a fourth when I noticed that the guy had deleted what I was offering (Shadows over Kyoto) from his "want in trade" list.

So, instead of refusing the trade, he deletes the item and then still ignores the trade offer. I mean, maybe he forgot that he'd already gotten a copy or, the converse, had already gotten rid of the item in question and left it on his "for trade" list? I've done that. But you know how I let people know that? By responding to the fucking trade offer and adding a message that says: "Sorry. Forgot I still had this listed." It's part of the whole mentality there, where "trading" is supposed to mean "trading up" (i.e. putting one over on someone for something they really want.)

My advice if you're really trying to get deals done: Either go with one of the pro traders like Boardgameco or try places like Facebook marketplace. BGG is more of a game to see if anyone has a grasp of basic courtesy than a system to actually get a trade done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Msample, QPCloudy, sornars, Gregarius, Nodens, mc

More
04 Mar 2022 11:10 #331301 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Trading on BGG?
I'd think that if commission for selling things is almost tripling, that would increase the amount of people trading rather than decrease. There's no commission if no money changes hands.

But 8% is nuts. Having to cover S&H plus 8% on top is going to force sellers to charge a significant amount. Why buy on BGG in that case? Cheaper on Amazon or eBay or Noble Knight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, n815e

More
04 Mar 2022 11:30 #331303 by fightcitymayor
Replied by fightcitymayor on topic Trading on BGG?
Yeah, trading is one of many aspects of BGG that has gotten notably more terrible over the years. 10-15 years ago the community was smaller, more tightly knit, more likely to "get it." Now it's just a hype zoo full of self-righteous d-bags running around, expecting to receive the world on a platter without putting in any effort. Sucks.

More
04 Mar 2022 12:14 - 04 Mar 2022 12:17 #331304 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Trading on BGG?

dysjunct wrote: I'd think that if commission for selling things is almost tripling, that would increase the amount of people trading rather than decrease. There's no commission if no money changes hands.

But 8% is nuts. Having to cover S&H plus 8% on top is going to force sellers to charge a significant amount. Why buy on BGG in that case? Cheaper on Amazon or eBay or Noble Knight.

It's not going to force sellers to charge a significant amount, it's going to force sellers to settle for smaller revenue. Only way you can compete with Amazon and the OLGS is through price. The new marketplace even charges Sales tax to the buyer so cost is increasing there as well.

With the Stripe fees the total cost is around 10% for the seller, very comparable to Ebay but with a much smaller pool of buyers.

Also, with the changes to revenue from online selling being reported to the IRS, second hand sellers are likely going to start looking at other options (selling on Facebook for cash, for instance).
Last edit: 04 Mar 2022 12:17 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample, sornars, n815e

More
04 Mar 2022 12:32 #331307 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Trading on BGG?
Yeah, my local used bookstore is like so attractive for dumping games even with its shitty returns.

More
04 Mar 2022 13:39 #331317 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Trading on BGG?
Right now while the new geekmarket is in beta, BGG is paying for all the shipping so even though BGG takes 8% (and Stripe takes 4%), it's currently better than trading.

More
04 Mar 2022 14:42 #331325 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Trading on BGG?
I don’t advise Boardgameco, they are pretty terrible.

More
04 Mar 2022 15:49 #331329 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Trading on BGG?
Yea boardgameco had been consistently bad the few times I've traded with them. Always games missing lots of stuff, bad condition, etc etc .

Re trading on BGG, I do it all the time and it's good. But you just gotta know a lot of people aren't going to respond to you. I message people rather than sending trade requests, which tends to get more reaction than random trade requests.

More
04 Mar 2022 16:13 #331330 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Trading on BGG?
So, in contrast to both of you: Messaging has rarely gained me anything more than random trade requests has. I tried that route when someone suggested it and it came to nothing more positive. I have, of course, responded to every, single message I've gotten from people who've initiated things that way with me because, you know, common courtesy. But that's what the trade system is supposed to incorporate. You can send messages with your trade offers and I often do. "Hi. I was thinking about trading X for Y and here's what I was thinking as far as value. Let me know what you think. Thanks." Nothing.

Also, I've done a half-dozen major trades with Boardgameco. and every, single one of them has been a positive experience. Not only has everything come to me complete and in great shape (ranging from used but fine to literally in-shrink, as the copy of Vast: Mysterious Manor I got from them a couple weeks ago was), but have also frequently been tended to by previous owners. The full KS-kitted copy of Heroes of Land, Air, and Sea was not only bagged up nicely but had all cards sleeved and organized in a separate holder. I'm not discounting your poor experience, but mine has been perfect, to date, and that's been in the process of me sending them double digits of games/expansions and them sending often almost as many. Using their FedEx has been dirt cheap in a relative sense, too, as I sent out a box that was 16"x24"x18" and weighed 43 pounds. I was thinking I was going to pay $50+ for this and it was only $27. I just can't say anything but good things about them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, QPCloudy

More
04 Mar 2022 16:25 #331334 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Trading on BGG?
It's your intimidating avatar. I don't trust dragons, personally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, QPCloudy

More
04 Mar 2022 16:51 #331337 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Trading on BGG?

Gary Sax wrote: Yeah, my local used bookstore is like so attractive for dumping games even with its shitty returns.

There is some gamer who lives by that store who must be loving their life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
04 Mar 2022 17:38 #331343 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Trading on BGG?

Cranberries wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Yeah, my local used bookstore is like so attractive for dumping games even with its shitty returns.

There is some gamer who lives by that store who must be loving their life.

Vice versa too, there are some truly bizarre niche hobby games there.

More
04 Mar 2022 23:03 #331363 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Trading on BGG?

n815e wrote: I don’t advise Boardgameco, they are pretty terrible.

So, about that. He used to be based out of Cleveland. I lived in the Akron area. I still do, but I used to, too. Anyhow, I suggested we meet up to save on shipping costs. Once we met half way. The second time, he made me go to his house at the last minute. If you want a behind the scenes story, this guy literally, if a game has storage options, like if you use tackle boxes to organize chits and stuff, he dumps them into the game box, then throws the tackle box into a giant cardboard storage box. That and he always treated it like such a business, like he was a retailer and had to always make a profit from his trades. I would never trade with him again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, sornars, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds