October 09, 2023
2477 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Trading on BGG?

More
05 Mar 2022 02:18 #331367 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Trading on BGG?

QPCloudy wrote:

n815e wrote: I don’t advise Boardgameco, they are pretty terrible.

So, about that. He used to be based out of Cleveland. I lived in the Akron area. I still do, but I used to, too. Anyhow, I suggested we meet up to save on shipping costs. Once we met half way. The second time, he made me go to his house at the last minute. If you want a behind the scenes story, this guy literally, if a game has storage options, like if you use tackle boxes to organize chits and stuff, he dumps them into the game box, then throws the tackle box into a giant cardboard storage box. That and he always treated it like such a business, like he was a retailer and had to always make a profit from his trades. I would never trade with him again.

My own story.

I’m very honest with the conditions of my games when trading and most of my games have been treated very well. The last thing I want is to send someone something they aren’t going to be happy with. So I let them know and I pack things securely.

I traded with him for things listed as new or very good and they were. I think one game was missing a piece, but it didn’t matter.

So later on he had a game I wanted to try out, Middle Earth Quest. I offered to trade and he accepted. He listed it as either very good or like new. The game arrived and it was the most abused game I ever saw in my life. Not a single intact miniature. Cards everywhere and bent or torn. The boards were torn at the folds and they had his stickers all over them. The box was falling apart. It was missing parts.

I would have been ashamed to send that to anyone.

And when I told him about it, he first wanted pictures as proof. Then told me to send it back, and I would get credit. His idea was to treat it as a trade again, no sense of ownership, no attempt to make it right. Just lowballed value, which was less than the original lower value compared to what I sent to him and there was no budging.

The single worst trading experience. I eventually accepted some low value, new games I sold on just to recoup some of the cost.

He’s garbage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QPCloudy, Virabhadra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2022 09:43 #331380 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Trading on BGG?
I don't do shipped trades because I find it more hassle than I'm willing to put up with, but games I have that I don't want anymore I mark "For Trade". I have "I don't trade, I'll sell these at a local event" in my bio there, but I doubt anyone reads that.

Anyhow, I rarely get trade requests, but even *I* will respond with "sorry, I don't do trades but BGG has no other option for 'I have this but don't want it anymore'". I don't know why it's so damn difficult for others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Gregarius

More
05 Mar 2022 11:22 #331386 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic Trading on BGG?

fightcitymayor wrote: 10-15 years ago the community was smaller, more tightly knit, more likely to "get it."

The price to mail a large USPS flat rate box has also practically doubled in the last 10-15 years. Any trade starts looking like a bad value proposition when you have to spend $20+ on top just to ship.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, allismom3, Msample, DarthJoJo, n815e

More
05 Mar 2022 17:47 #331394 by gversace
Replied by gversace on topic Trading on BGG?

QPCloudy wrote: . That and he always treated it like such a business, like he was a retailer and had to always make a profit from his trades. I would never trade with him again.

Well, it is a business for him. I mean, it's in the name.

That said, I've seen enough horror stories about his trades/sales/etc. that I would never trade with him.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds