October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Snow Day

More
10 Jan 2011 21:20 #84058 by ubarose
Snow Day was created by ubarose
So what did you all in GA do on your Snow Day. They closed down our offices in Alpharetta, so I'm guessing it was pretty bad. One of the guys on my team who is down there told me there was half an inch of ice.

They are predicting a snow day for us on Wed. But I don't actually get the day off, since I can telecommute.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2011 22:34 #84063 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Snow Day
I telecommute and the shows Leigh Ann works on are not shooting right now, so it was pretty much business as usual except that I didn't get to go out to get coffee or feign social integration with the rest of the world by going to pick up something at Target.

All weekend it was like the end of the world was coming. Local news freaks out and does these super-exaggerated, sensationalist news stories about how if you even walk out to your car, black ice will kill you. They literally have these graphics they roll out for weather events like this- ICESTORM DEATHWATCH '11. People freak the fuck out. Stores literally run completely out of milk, bread, eggs, and the cheapest, shittiest beer they sell. But I went to Whole Foods and it was totally normal, like any sunday doing the shopping. I went to the more plebian Kroger and I kid you know there was an atmosphere of panic. I saw this guy RUN to get the last carton of eggs. What. The. Fuck. I had to wait in line for almost 45 minutes.

The thing is, even in a big snow event (meaning more than one inch here), it goes away like the next day. I can think of literally maybe three times where we've been snowed in for more than a day. People act like they're going to be stranded and unable to make egg sandwiches and milk/beer cocktails.

It is a pretty decent one this time, about six inches of really powdery snow at our place with about an inch-thick crust of ice on top.

More
10 Jan 2011 22:56 #84067 by Jarvis
Replied by Jarvis on topic Re:Snow Day
Yeah Alpharetta, and most of the Atlanta area, was completely shut down today. As for tomorrow, we are already on a delayed opening and should call in to see if the office will be open or not.

Barnes, you're right about the supermarkets. People completely flip out over the weather down here. Hell, even the hint of rain causes everyone to drive like an asshole. Snow, empties the stores of all perishables. I had to shop on Sunday as that is my normal grocery day and I had nothing in the house. When I got there; milk, bread and eggs were almost gone like I expected and so were all the onions/potatoes/bananas in the store!!

Since my department doesn't let us work from home, I had no choice but to relax and do nothing work related. I got some studying in for an exam I am doing for work (Actuarial exams), read a little (Hunger Games currently) and played some Xbox (RB3 and Red Dead Redemption).

I'm hoping for another snow day tomorrow! I missed them, even though I barely got any when I lived in Michigan. Two feet of snow, no big deal, schools still open.

More
10 Jan 2011 23:40 #84076 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re:Snow Day
Michael Barnes wrote:

People act like they're going to be stranded and unable to make egg sandwiches and milk/beer cocktails.

Oh people do that here too, bunch of fucking crazies.

More
11 Jan 2011 06:46 #84098 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Snow Day
Same over here in England. Feels like I'm the only one who has a full freezer, and can go for a week without shopping, easy.

More
11 Jan 2011 10:09 #84125 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Snow Day
It's not that bad up here. Except that every one who was planning on going to the butcher or bakery on the day the snow is predicted, goes the day before, so they get double the expected sales on that day. Since the butcher and bakery stocks fresh, and only stocks what they expect to sell in one day, you have to get there early as they will sell out of a lot of stuff by early affternoon.

More
11 Jan 2011 10:22 #84131 by evilgit
Replied by evilgit on topic Re:Snow Day
We are on Day Two of no work. Not seen it this bad in Georgia in a loooong time. It's going to get above freezing today for a little bit but if it doesn't melt today no chance for the rest of the week. I might see if there is anyone in walking distance that wants to game... Or the bars are open and I can walk up there.

Otherwise I think I'll start painting some of my gaming plastic.

More
11 Jan 2011 10:31 #84136 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Snow Day
Aye. Our office closed again today. Sandi tried to go to work (the AJC is still sort of delivering), but the neighborhood roads are solid sheets of ice. We were able to break it enough to get out of the driveway, but not up the two hills that get us out of the neighborhood. Nothing really in walking distance.

They are saying that the snow won't melt until Saturday. It is going to get a bit above freezing this afternoon, but we are also getting a little more precipitation this eve.

It may end up being a snow week.

More
11 Jan 2011 10:31 #84138 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Snow Day
We got 2-3" overnight, as far as I can tell. It's no big deal, except that there doesn't seem to be any plan to clean it up, and it's more slippery than a deeper snowfall would have been. In a typical winter, there are three snow emergencies that involve plowing all the streets. This winter, we've already had five, and every single one was on a weekend. So double pay for all the plow drivers, except for the two emergencies that fell on holiday weekends, resulting in triple pay. Minneapolis has more than exhausted the plowing budget, and Saint Paul is running low. But if they don't plow this stuff, it's going to turn into treacherous ice bumps that will linger until spring.

More
11 Jan 2011 10:47 #84140 by ubarose
I think snow is worse down south than up here, because you will get a few hours of above freezing weather, which is just enough to create one big sheet of ice when the temperature drops again.

More
11 Jan 2011 10:56 #84141 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Snow Day
Ayep. We miss about a day a year on average. So it isn't worth investing in much equipment as well. Georgia has 1 snow plow at the airport. Salt trucks are used, but sand is more common, and there aren't a lot of them.

But in practice, we don't get snow powder. We get a mix of sleet, freezing rain and snow. The 6" snow on the ground has an inch thick cap of ice on top where the later sleet melted and fused it together. The tracks of cars driving yesterday just compressed the snow so it refroze overnight. Conditions are actually WORSE today than Monday.

I was in a small town north of Boston for a blizzard once. The area got hit with something like 12 inches in 4 hours. As soon as the now stopped, there were massive fleets of snowplows with trailing salt trucks, and the streets were pristine and perfectly driveable practically within the hour.

They closed half of I285 (ring road around Atlanta) claiming 1 inch thick sheets of ice.

More
11 Jan 2011 11:08 #84142 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:Snow Day
You guys down south probably don't have winter tires or snowplows for your streets, so I could see how this paralyzes everything.

We hardly have that much snow yet up here in my part of Canada, we got maybe 4-5 inches of fluffy stuff over the weekend. It's not that cold either, the coldest yet was maybe -20 Celsius. Easy winter so far, but we still have a good 2 months to go.

More
11 Jan 2011 11:11 #84143 by ubarose
The big question is do you all have enough shitty beer and eggs in the house to last out the week?

More
11 Jan 2011 11:37 #84145 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Snow Day
DC metro area is supposed to get 1-3 inches starting around 5pm today and ending early morning Wed.

Just enough to screw my commute home tonight, but not enough to get out early or even get a delay tomorrow.

Just dont snow at all if that's how it's gonna be, I say!

More
11 Jan 2011 12:01 #84152 by evilgit
Replied by evilgit on topic Re:Snow Day
ubarose wrote:

The big question is do you all have enough shitty beer and eggs in the house to last out the week?

I've got enough homebrew and pizza fixings to last me until spring.
And probably enough unpainted FFG plastic to last that long as well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds