October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Snow Day

More
01 Feb 2011 10:48 #86549 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Snow Day
I think that we got five or six inches of snow in the last 24 hours. They declared a snow emergency again, which is basically a standard plan regarding when you can park on which sides of the street without getting towed before the plows come through. Only they skipped my whole neighborhood and possibly other areas, so they might do another snow emergency tonight to finish the work.

The worst part is that drivers around here are getting reckless again. They are used to a certain amount of slipping and fishtailing and are driving faster anyway, so there were a lot of unnecessary accidents yesterday.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2011 11:34 - 01 Feb 2011 11:34 #86553 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Snow Day
Shellhead wrote:

I think that we got five or six inches of snow in the last 24 hours. They declared a snow emergency again, which is basically a standard plan regarding when you can park on which sides of the street without getting towed before the plows come through. Only they skipped my whole neighborhood and possibly other areas, so they might do another snow emergency tonight to finish the work.

The worst part is that drivers around here are getting reckless again. They are used to a certain amount of slipping and fishtailing and are driving faster anyway, so there were a lot of unnecessary accidents yesterday.

We have snow emergency and parking bans everywhere also. Problem is they don't even have the man power to actually enforce it. For the past week we have had roads that been essentially unusable, because they were only able to clear a single lane due to parked cars in the way. Got into a stand off the other day with a car coming down a road in the opposite direction, with no where for either of us to pull over. Since I had two cars behind me, the other driver finally gave in and backed down the street until she got to a semi cleared drive way.
Last edit: 01 Feb 2011 11:34 by ubarose.

More
01 Feb 2011 11:37 #86556 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Snow Day
stormseeker75 wrote:

Fuck the Northeast. Fuck it sideways. I'm moving to the desert where I can complain about crippling heat.

We've got plenty of room, head on out here. We're short of gamers, though.

We got some snow on Sunday morning. About half an inch, then it warmed up and was gone.

(note: this is not a weather guarantee, as I've also seen three feet come down here over a weekend. but not this year.)

More
01 Feb 2011 11:58 #86560 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Snow Day
ubarose wrote:

We have snow emergency and parking bans everywhere also. Problem is they don't even have the man power to actually enforce it. For the past week we have had roads that been essentially unusable, because they were only able to clear a single lane due to parked cars in the way. Got into a stand off the other day with a car coming down a road in the opposite direction, with no where for either of us to pull over. Since I had two cars behind me, the other driver finally gave in and backed down the street until she got to a semi cleared drive way.

We have the manpower, but all the weekend and holiday storms this winter have torn a hole in local plowing budgets. Usually, when a snow emergency is called here, they are pretty ruthless about tagging and then towing everybody in the way of the plows. I don't know the current going rate, but when I coughed up money in '03 to rescue my girlfriend's car from the impound lot, it was $120. Would have been even more if it was left there for a day or two.

That said, the most densely populated sections of Minneapolis now have a parking restriction that will probably last until spring, where one entire side of each street is off-limits for parking. Otherwise, they would have a lot of standoffs like the one you were in.

More
01 Feb 2011 15:59 #86584 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Snow Day
The Missouri national guard has quit allowing people to enter the state on the major interstates ---- we're supposed to get 2 feet or snow today. They cancelled the University of Missouri two days in a row (today and tomorrow) --- I think that might be the first time ever. It is also the first time ever that we have an official Blizzard Warning.

More
01 Feb 2011 17:20 #86586 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re:Snow Day
Chicago Public Schools are closed tomorrow.

Why's that a big deal?

Well the last time CPS got a snow day was 1999. Before that it was in the 70s. We could be looking at the biggest storm in the city's history.

More
01 Feb 2011 17:44 #86587 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re:Snow Day
Worst thing down here in La. is the wind's kicked up something fierce. Like, actually moving parked cars back and forth. It also doesn't help the guys who are putting up the Mardi Gras stands outside our building. They haven't secured all the planking, so during lunch they had several instances of large pieces of wood flying off the stands. They only had two guys working on a stand that essentially covered half a city block, which I thought was fucking ridiculous.

But before we went back to work, the rest of the work crew showed up to help.

It's going to get rainy, windy, and cold tonight. 30s, which is like summer weather for you folks up north. Last time we had the right conditions for snow was Christmas 2004.

More
01 Feb 2011 18:33 #86590 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Snow Day
It's quite nice across the pond at the moment - a couple of degrees of frost overnight (sometimes) and up to 8 degrees above freezing (for all you non-Celcius people ... seriously, get with the game dudes, zero is freezing point & 100 boiling) during the day.

More
01 Feb 2011 18:53 #86593 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Snow Day
I think I have you all beat now. There is a plow truck stuck in the snow across the street from my house. They were trying to back it up, but it wouldn't budge. The driver just got out with a snow shovel and is now trying to dig it out.

More
01 Feb 2011 19:17 #86595 by southernman
We need lots of photos otherwise I refuse to believe any of this - it's not on our news so it can't be happening (news is so slow they're having to fill the program with pictures of Egypt).

More
30 Mar 2011 13:35 #92699 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re:Snow Day
Nor'Easter coming our way Thursday night into Friday. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

More
30 Mar 2011 13:42 #92701 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Snow Day
Seriously? And I was miffed when we got a dusting over the weekend...

Who'd ya'll piss off up there?

More
30 Mar 2011 14:22 #92708 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Snow Day
It looks like it is going to get down to 50 degrees tonight here. Brrr.

More
30 Mar 2011 14:28 #92709 by southernman
Ever since the sub-zero month of December it's been quite mild in the UK this year. Not too cold in Jan, pretty mild winter temps in Feb, and bloody autumnal this month - flowers out and tree buds blossoming at the moment .... extremely un-British weather.

More
30 Mar 2011 14:47 #92711 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re:Snow Day
The British have taken our springtime. That, my friends, is an act of war.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds