October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Wii vs Kinect

More
12 Apr 2011 20:59 #93943 by username
Replied by username on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
I'm one of those wierdos with a PS3, XBOX 360, and Wii.

I play the Wii way way more than either of the other two.
Because it gives me something I can do with my kids. Would I rather be playing Red Dead redemption? Maybe, but really I can't when my kids are watching and I played plenty of that stuff before they were born and can play plenty of it when they are old and ignoring me !

Also you will find your daughter will be into the licensed titles of the wii a lot more than the XBOX. Sure kinectimals might be fun (I wouldn't know btw) but it isn't part of kid conciousness like mario stuff-- which is in fuit snacks, happy meals, gumball machines, shoe stores etc etc etc. Which maybe you'll hate. but my daughter loves the Mario universe( and Kirby)

Also, when your daughter plays Mario Kart /Mario sports mix online some annoying prepubescent kid won't be screaming "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK fukfukfukfukfuk" into the mic constantly like on XBOX live.

So if you hate the nintendo licensed properties, steer clear of the wii or your daughter will be bugging you for that Yoshi backpack next school year..... a nearly sure thing.

My daughter/son and I have played TONS of New Super Mario Bros, Raving rabbits, Super Monkey ball, Mario Kart, Wii sports, Wii Fit, and Super Mario sports Mix. We really don't play Mario Galaxy because there isn't a strong 2 player element.

We also play a ton of Just Dance I and II. Holding the controller isn't that big of a deal which seems to be the only disadvantage vs the kinect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2011 23:42 #93951 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
ugh so much misinformation, so much fear-mongering.

What kind of terrible parent would ever give their kid a mic so they could play on XboxLive? That's not an environment for kids. It would be like letting them do chat roulette with Black barney.

Yes, in YOUR day, Mario was the big kids things. But this Kinect stuff might be the next new kid conciousness. It's more social than the Wii, more involving of other family members.

I can see it's gonna be super tough for Microsoft to market Kinect as family because people KNOW that Xbox is for adults and Wii is for kids. Hopefully they'll figure it out and word of mouth and actual user experience will do the trick cuz guess what?

NOT A SINGLE PERSON HERE PROMOTING THE WII HAS PLAYED KINECT WITH THEIR KIDS

like i said earlier and at the risk of being too micro here, all of my friends who have kids with Kinect are ravin' about it (and these people owned Wiis).

this will be an easier discussion a year from now I think when there's more information out there.

Now I'm half expecting someone to say how boring Kinectimals is but doesn't know if a kid would find it fun, lol. omg I would shoot myself

More
13 Apr 2011 00:05 - 13 Apr 2011 00:07 #93955 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Just thought I would chime in, here. Haven't really played either system, but I say get the Wii. Sure, the Kinect has Kinectimals, but it seems pretty boring to me, but I don't know if a kid would find it fun, lol.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2011 00:07 by Aarontu.

More
13 Apr 2011 00:18 #93957 by Black Barney
/BANG!

:)

More
13 Apr 2011 02:59 #93964 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Along these lines, does anyone own Playstation Move? Care to share any thoughts on it? I've been considering picking it up for a while.

More
13 Apr 2011 04:54 #93966 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Get the one your daughter is asking for.
If she isn't asking for either then don't get her either, get her a Pet which will be much more educational and rewarding.

More
13 Apr 2011 05:30 #93968 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Get the one your daughter is asking for.
If she isn't asking for either then don't get her either, get her a Pet which will be much more educational and rewarding.

Good thought, but there's no way I'm looking after a pet. That's something for when she's older, I think.

That said it might be sensible to hang fire until she's more interested and can help make her own decision. She did used to like playing Project Gotham on my original Xbox (she couldn't race, she just enjoyed driving the car around) until her baby sister broke the controller cord by continually yanking it out of the socket but she hasn't asked about it since. Didn't really seem worth buying a new controller for an obsolete console.

There's a 7-foot gap between my TV and my sofa. Is that enough for a Kinect?

More
13 Apr 2011 05:44 #93970 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Well be honest with yourself - are you buyng it for her or for yourself and using her as an excuse?

I've never really understood the concept of buying children stuff they didn't ask for with the exception of something like a pet or musical instrument which carries with it life skills and massive development potential. I figure children these days are exposed to so much media and advertising and social networks that you'd be hard pressed keeping up with stuff she actually DOES want.
If she is destined to be a video gamer, she'll find out about them on her own.

More
13 Apr 2011 06:01 #93971 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Well be honest with yourself - are you buyng it for her or for yourself and using her as an excuse?

Yeah, kind of like Jeb said this is really what the decision is all about. Wise words - the advice is appreciated.

More
13 Apr 2011 08:16 #93976 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Sensible parenting advice from Papa Skeletor.

Yes folks, F:AT *has* imploded.

More
13 Apr 2011 10:23 #93995 by Black Barney
btw, try having this discussion off this site and you'll be met with, "you should get her lego instead. When i was young, i used my imagination and played with art/crafts. No child that young should be exposed to video games"

in short, you guys rock for having an actual discussion of Wii vs Kinect without all the retarded 3rd opinions.

More
13 Apr 2011 10:39 #93999 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
F:AT always has the best parenting advice (not kidding). I'm telling you, by the time this recent wave of babies hits two we'll have a parenting forum.

More
13 Apr 2011 10:43 #94000 by Black Barney
I want to hear Pete's recommendation on what to do when the TSA pats down your 6-yr old

More
13 Apr 2011 16:55 - 13 Apr 2011 16:56 #94099 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
This thread is slowing down, so hopefully nobody will mind if I hijack it:

I've got a Wii in my home, and it's rarely used. My big dilemma is that Batman: Arkham City is set for release in mid-October, and it won't run on a Wii. How insane would I be to buy a PS3 specifically so that I can play Arkham City? Does anybody else buy a console just to play one game?

My home computer is a Mac, so the PC version of Arkham City will be useless to me unless I Bootcamp it and install Windows. I don't really want to do that, though. At $300, a PS3 seems like a better value to me than the $130 I'd pay for a Windows license.

My choices seem to be: skip Arkham City entirely or buy a PS3 for the flimsy reason of playing exactly one game.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2011 16:56 by Juniper.

More
13 Apr 2011 17:28 #94101 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Re:Wii vs Kinect
Juniper wrote:

This thread is slowing down, so hopefully nobody will mind if I hijack it:

I've got a Wii in my home, and it's rarely used. My big dilemma is that Batman: Arkham City is set for release in mid-October, and it won't run on a Wii. How insane would I be to buy a PS3 specifically so that I can play Arkham City? Does anybody else buy a console just to play one game?

My home computer is a Mac, so the PC version of Arkham City will be useless to me unless I Bootcamp it and install Windows. I don't really want to do that, though. At $300, a PS3 seems like a better value to me than the $130 I'd pay for a Windows license.

My choices seem to be: skip Arkham City entirely or buy a PS3 for the flimsy reason of playing exactly one game.

I have been contemplating buying an Xbox to play the Blood Bowl video game after playing it at a mates house. In the end I decided there are enough good titles on the Wii, but boy am I struggling with this one.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds