October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Politics Forum

More
26 Apr 2011 19:24 - 26 Apr 2011 19:25 #95160 by Schweig!
Politics Forum was created by Schweig!
So I got a bit bored over Easter and since F:AT was mostly down for maintenance I dabbled for the first time into the BGG RSP area, which amongst posting mostly atheistic messages has earned me my best suspension yet, three days for this post: www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6669029#6669029

Anyway, I was wondering whether F:AT would get a politics subforum. We've had quite a few debates about politics here before.

Before I head out again for some days I want to say that I like the new site design and approve the decision to get rid of the huge ongoing threads. Anything that hinders Black Barney from posting mindless gibberish will benefit the site in the long run. Also I didn't read these.

Last but not least, I could volunteer to create a new page header if one is needed. The new one is nice but a bit bland.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2011 19:25 by Schweig!.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2011 20:24 #95165 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re: Politics Forum
Please don't do this unless uba gives us the power to plonk entire threads.

More
26 Apr 2011 20:31 - 26 Apr 2011 20:33 #95168 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re: Politics Forum
That's pretty funny. Although I have heard funny conservative comedians before.. Norm Macdonald being the best I've ever heard. The only place on line that I ever said "I quit" seriously was the BGG RSP forum. I used to hang out there a fair amount but the anti-theist's got me to leave. They were such bigots it just wasn't worth it. I'd show every respect to atheists and agnostics but there were a whole slew of people who thought that if your Christian they could post about the FSM or tell us it's like believing in the Easter Bunny (who IS real by the way) and all without a hint of sarcasm or good natured joking. Just pure bigotry. So I left and never looked back. I don't regret it one bit. I popped by a few months ago just to look and it's the same old people posting the same old stuff, I missed it even less once I saw that.

I'm perfectly willing to take part in a similar thread here as I think I respect the separate posters a bit more and would trust them to post in fun and fair manner... mostly. But if I do take part there is a slight chance I'll get pissy and emotional. I hope it will be entertaining rather then upsetting.

We're having an election here. It's not like America though were if you vote for the wrong guy he might blow up the world, this is Canada. Voting for the wrong guy might mean that x corporation now has a slightly higher carbon tax... it's all minor stuff that no one.. even Canadians, really cares about.

Conventional wisdom in my neighborhood says vote for anyone who can get the conservatives out of office. Which I think is blind insanity. The "Liberals" and New "Democratic" Party are almost identical. I always throw my vote away to some party no one cares about and will never win. This year I'm voting for the Work Less Party... how could they not be awesome? I know they won't win but what I like about these little parties is that they effect the way we look at politics as a nation and slowly change the views the parties hold. If one of them gets a decent number of votes the big parties will try to adapt the policies they think are attracting people. So I'm left on the outskirts of society, and thankfully so!
Last edit: 26 Apr 2011 20:33 by OldHippy.

More
26 Apr 2011 20:34 #95171 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Politics Forum
If people think I'm an extremist nut job asshole now, if I get involved in political debates I think I'd legit get people wanting to punch me hahaha

More
26 Apr 2011 20:37 #95173 by Xlyce
Replied by Xlyce on topic Re: Politics Forum
I am wondering who to vote for in the Canadian election, this excerpt from a news article pretty much describes me:
There is a very wide swath of the Canadian public that would describe itself as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal." They don't want to hear another word about gay marriage or abortion or capital punishment. They're wary of grand social engineering schemes, although they insist on a comprehensive social safety net. They generally like free markets and low taxes, but they don't worship them. They tend to be pragmatists. The one thing they are truly dogmatic about is balancing the budget.

Now which party do you think I like?

More
26 Apr 2011 20:40 - 26 Apr 2011 20:42 #95175 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Politics Forum
Yeah, after that suspension I won't be going back to RSP.

Jacob, I think you know that I only disrespect believers when they go against their own principles, e.g. "Love thy neighbour" while also hating homosexuals.

Bullwinkle wrote: Please don't do this unless uba gives us the power to plonk entire threads.

I don't necessarily want to stir up discussion about politics, but quite a few threads evolve into such discussions (for better or worse) so it might be a good idea to continue these in a separate forum. People not interested don't have to follow.

Xlyce wrote: Now which party do you think I like?

The Trotskyists?
Last edit: 26 Apr 2011 20:42 by Schweig!.

More
26 Apr 2011 20:41 - 26 Apr 2011 20:42 #95176 by OldHippy
@ xlyce

Ah man, I'm guessing your gonna vote Liberal. NDP isn't "fiscally conservative" enough and the Conservatives aren't socially liberal enough.

But I really hate the Liberals. I feel they are the party that pretends to be whatever it thinks the majority of Canadians want. I don't think they have actual beliefs, I think they are like the Brittany Spears or John Mutt Lang of politics. Become a mirror of what you think the public is and hope to god it sells.

The Green are putting a financially fiscal policy forward that is worth looking at. Of course they will never get in but still, that should not effect your vote.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2011 20:42 by OldHippy.

More
26 Apr 2011 20:44 #95177 by OldHippy

Schweig! wrote: Yeah, after that suspension I won't be going back to RSP.

Jacob, I think you know that I only disrespect believers when they go against their own principles, e.g. "Love thy neighbour" while also hating homosexuals.

Xlyce wrote: Now which party do you think I like?

The Trotskyists?

Schweig, you've never said anything hateful about theists that I can recall so I'm sure it'll be fine. People who don't want the thread can ignore it.

Canada does have a communist party that you can vote for but I don't think it's worth it.

More
26 Apr 2011 20:48 - 26 Apr 2011 20:53 #95178 by Xlyce
The Liberals are campaigning to the left (read this as fiscally irresponsible) as the NDP are (which is why everyone is abandoning Ignatieff), so I don't see myself voting LPC.

If you did the cbc "Canada Votes" quiz, it put me right along the axis, about 1/3rd of the way from centre on the right. I am nicely between the LPC and the CPC.

What really drives me around the bend is the 2 bucks/vote that the parties get. I have yet to find a politician worth 2 bucks a year.

PS
I voted Marxist Leninist one year...

PPS
I vote Trotskyite Internationalists usually
Last edit: 26 Apr 2011 20:53 by Xlyce.

More
26 Apr 2011 20:51 #95180 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Politics Forum
Also, wow, I'm a fucking d10!!!

More
26 Apr 2011 20:55 #95181 by OldHippy

Xlyce wrote: If you did the cbc "Canada Votes" quiz, it put me right along the axis, about 1/3rd of the way from centre on the right. I am nicely between the LPC and the CPC.

It put me in a similar spot actually. It's funny because the circle they gave me didn't have a single party in it. Some of the questions were so stupid too. The very first one "Do you think Canada should immediately withdraw all it's forces from Afghanistan?" Uh... no, "immediately withdraw" is a bit irresponsible. How about asking me if they should have gone in the first place or something a little less silly. In any case I don't know anyone who is happy with their choices.

Xlyce wrote: What really drives me around the bend is the 2 bucks/vote that the parties get. I have yet to find a politician worth 2 bucks a year.

Well, ya got a good laugh out of me but I do like that. I like it because I always vote for looser parties that go no where fast. I can feel good knowing my two bucks is going to the Work Less Party and not Harper/Ignatief/Layton... You know that Harper is trying to get rid of this eh? I almost wish I could vote for the bloc. But not in B.C. obviously.

More
26 Apr 2011 21:03 #95184 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re: Politics Forum
I'm with Bullwinkle. Sure, we've skirted around the edges in the past, but it is kind of nice to avoid that for the most part on this site...considering how politically polarized the West is becoming. Why necessarily let it impact this site?

More
26 Apr 2011 21:09 #95185 by Xlyce

JonJacob wrote:

Xlyce wrote: What really drives me around the bend is the 2 bucks/vote that the parties get. I have yet to find a politician worth 2 bucks a year.

Well, ya got a good laugh out of me but I do like that. I like it because I always vote for looser parties that go no where fast. I can feel good knowing my two bucks is going to the Work Less Party and not Harper/Ignatief/Layton... You know that Harper is trying to get rid of this eh? I almost wish I could vote for the bloc. But not in B.C. obviously.

The money only goes to them if they have 2% of the vote nationwide or 5% in the riding.

More
26 Apr 2011 21:31 #95186 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Politics Forum
Just FTR, we have enough drama and problems crop up from time to time without actively seeking them out, so a RSP here would be the height of bad judgement IMO.

Funny post though, Simon. I tipped you fat for that one!

More
26 Apr 2011 21:36 #95187 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: Politics Forum

Merkles wrote: I'm with Bullwinkle. Sure, we've skirted around the edges in the past, but it is kind of nice to avoid that for the most part on this site...considering how politically polarized the West is becoming. Why necessarily let it impact this site?

Here here. We are so entrenched in our political beliefs that hearing opposing viewpoints from someone we respect can be challenging even to the most open-minded person. I don't need to know your views on economic policy for us to enjoy bombing the shit out of each other in Axis and Allies. So let's keep it that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds