October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Welcome to one of the oldest board game communities on the Internet. That may sound like hyperbole but it really is true.

We are really happy to have you here. Unfortunately, being online we can't bond with you over a game so you'd know right away how happy we are to meet you. For now, you'll just have to take our word for it.

This site has always thrived on lively discussion and spirited but civil debate. We hope that newcomers here will find a welcoming atmosphere where game enthusiasts of all levels of experience and commitment will have something to add to the conversation. You never need to prove your “gamer cred” here. Whether you have been playing board games for a few months or a few decades; whether you have a huge collection or a small one; whether you have been a member here for years or just joined today – your opinion is valued here.

We know that it can be intimidating to jump into a new community and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of forum where people will tell you that you posted something in the wrong place, or that you should have found an existing thread on the topic, or that you shouldn’t have resurrected an old thread.

So if you find a thread or an article discussion that interests you, whether it is old or new, feel free to jump in. Want to discuss a specific game or board gaming related topic just start a new topic. If you don’t know which forum to put it in, just make your best guess (we really don’t care all that much. It’s easy enough for a moderator to move it or merge it, if necessary).

A good place to get started is by introducing yourself in the “New Members Introduce Yourself” thread (below) or by telling us what you have been playing in the “What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?" thread ( therewillbe.games/forum/35-mos-eisley-ca...ave-you-been-playing ).

Have fun, and we look forward to hearing from you.

New Members Introduce Yourself

More
30 Apr 2018 18:49 #272333 by ChristopherMD
Welcome back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2018 09:59 #272363 by Legomancer

Smeagol wrote: I am kind of a new member.

I left a while back after becoming irritated with some political discussion, then started lurking after a few months, now I've re-registered.

I was formerly Squigherder. Thanks for allowing me back in.

there isn't anyone in this place, myself included, whose politics you even want to know
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, Frohike, Erik Twice, GorillaGrody

More
01 May 2018 10:09 #272364 by Legomancer
Not a new user, but a new userpic.

My previous pic was Cappy the pitbull. He passed away in December. My new pic is Sally, a pit pup we just adopted who has a lot of energy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, SuperflyPete, Frohike, Erik Twice

More
01 May 2018 11:44 #272376 by ubarose

Smeagol wrote: I am kind of a new member.

I left a while back after becoming irritated with some political discussion, then started lurking after a few months, now I've re-registered.

I was formerly Squigherder. Thanks for allowing me back in.

I am so glad you have decided to return. I think I know which account is yours. I may be able to get it back for you. PM me.

More
24 Jun 2018 19:46 #276105 by Whoshim
Greetings!

Apparently, I successfully registered 6 years ago, but I never got an email confirmation or anything. In the years since then, from time to time, I have tried to register, but the registration screen would do weird things.

Being slow, I never thought to check if I had successfully registered, until today. After inputting my usual username and email address, I found that I did have an account.

Now, I have been lurking here for a long time, but I usually don't say too much in general, but it will be nice to be able to interact with y'all.

A little about me: I am an English teacher living in Indonesia. I am married and have three young sons. We lived in Korea for 4 years before moving here a year ago. I like to design games, but I don't get the chance to playtest them enough. I mostly game via Skype and Tabletop Simulator with a couple of friends back in the US. I have started some small game days here with people from the school, but we play lighter things like Settlers, King of Tokyo, and Blokus. (I like them all, but I prefer heavier games.)

I really like Napoleon's Triumph, Heroscape, and CCGs (though I don't buy into them anymore). We recently picked up the mini-game Welcome to the Dungeon, which the kids really like. They also enjoy playing Love Letter. I hope to get them into Pinochle later. My copies of Imperial and Rex are back in the US, as are some other games, but the boys are getting to where they could start to play some of those.

I am considering picking up a copy of Seal Team Flix for a relative to bring over when they visit.

I really enjoy Sagrilarus' articles, with the 60-60 one being one of my favorites.

More
24 Jun 2018 20:20 - 24 Jun 2018 22:56 #276107 by Sagrilarus
Thank you for the kind words sir! And welcome to the conversation. Don't hesitate to speak up.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 22:56 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whoshim

More
25 Jun 2018 02:58 #276118 by mc
Replied by mc on topic New Members Introduce Yourself
Where are you in indo whoshim?

More
25 Jun 2018 05:36 #276126 by Whoshim
West Jakarta. Are you in the area?

More
25 Jun 2018 08:52 #276134 by mc
Replied by mc on topic New Members Introduce Yourself
No - I used to have family in Surabaya (since moved away). I seem to remember when I was there they mentioned an expat teacher they knew who was a gamer, but we never met.

More
25 Jun 2018 09:47 #276145 by Whoshim
Unfortunately, a gaming couple just moved away. The husband had been working elsewhere for 6 months or so, so I only got to play games with him twice (we were settling in a lot our first few months here, so there was little to no gaming outside our family). The wife was able to make it to the game days that we had, so that was fun. I did learn that a coworker's husband is really into games, so I hope to talk with her more after summer vacation.

There are a lot of expats here, but most live in South Jakarta, which can be quite a drive in traffic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Jun 2018 10:13 #276146 by Sevej
I could introduce you to a group in West Jakarta, I think they play weekly there. They mostly play heavy-ish Euro. However their most active member just had a son, so not sure how regular they are now.

A friend also had a board game cafe in BSD, but also not sure of their activeness.

I also have a group of wargamers, but most of us are quite busy and in different cities. You could do Vassal, at least they'd be in the right time zone...

Have you joined the facebook board game group?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, boothwah, Whoshim

More
25 Jun 2018 18:24 #276185 by GoTeamVenture
Hello, my name is Dan. I have lurked here for a while and decided to make an account. I live in the Milwaukee area with my wife and cat. I am also friends with a few people who post here sometimes (ratpfink, Scott_F, and Unicron).

I probably like modern Euro games more than most people who post here. I also like dudes on a map games, dungeon crawlers, 4X games, civ games, CDGs, Martin Wallace games, Knizia/Kramer German-style games, and Android: Netrunner.

More
26 Jun 2018 08:31 #276219 by Whoshim
I would be interested in a group, though I probably couldn't meet weekly. I probably could meet monthly for things.

I don't actually have a facebook account, so I haven't joined any group there. If there is a good group though, I could ask my wife to join it. :)

As far as Vassal, I have looked into it, but I prefer face to face gaming or actual computer games, and rarely a blend of the two (exceptions for game nights on Tabletop Simulator with old, old friends).

I have done some wargaming, and I have enjoyed most of what I have tried. I love Napoleon's Triumph, enjoy the old school Afrika Korps, and I like Hammer of the Scots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
26 Jun 2018 08:36 #276220 by Erik Twice

GoTeamVenture wrote: I probably like modern Euro games more than most people who post here. I also like dudes on a map games, dungeon crawlers, 4X games, civ games, CDGs, Martin Wallace games, Knizia/Kramer German-style games, and Android: Netrunner.

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well :)

Welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GoTeamVenture

More
26 Jun 2018 13:54 - 26 Jun 2018 13:57 #276259 by Jexik

GoTeamVenture wrote: Hello, my name is Dan. I have lurked here for a while and decided to make an account. I live in the Milwaukee area with my wife and cat. I am also friends with a few people who post here sometimes (ratpfink, Scott_F, and Unicron).

I probably like modern Euro games more than most people who post here. I also like dudes on a map games, dungeon crawlers, 4X games, civ games, CDGs, Martin Wallace games, Knizia/Kramer German-style games, and Android: Netrunner.

There's a group that meets at my store in Gurnee, IL every Wednesday, and they're actually doing a "heavy" day coming up on July 1st. Depending on where you live in the Milwaukee area, it's a pretty easy drive down I-94. If you ever want to put a real face to this avatar, I'm there every Wednesday and Sunday. My wife and son come on Wednesdays sometime, but our dog doesn't.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2018 13:57 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GoTeamVenture

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds