October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Navigation: How to View/Find Articles

More
18 Jan 2008 11:01 #1068 by ubarose
I'll add this to the FAQ's eventually, but for now:

The Front Page: The Home page of F:AT shows the three most recent articles with intro text. Clicking on the title, or read more link will take you to the full text of the article with comments.

Recent Articles: The Recent Articles Menu shows the titles of the 5 most recent articles. Clicking on the title will take you to the full text of the article with comments.

Browse All Articles: The Browse All Articles button in the Past Articles menu displays all articles with intro text in chronological order, starting with the most recent. Use the the page/next buttons at the bottom of the page to see earlier articles. Clicking on the title, or read more link will take you to the full text of the article with comments.

Past Articles Menu: The Past Article menu allows you to get lists of past articles by subject. You can sort and filter these titles using the controls at the top of the page. Clicking on the title will take you to the full text of the article with comments.

Browsing Articles by Subject: At the bottom of the page that displays the full text of an article are <Previous and Next> links. The Next> link will take you to the next article in that subject section. For example, if you are reading a review, clicking the next button will display the full text of the next review article. <Previous takes you back to the page that you were just on.

Articles By Author: To see a list of articles written by a specific author, click on the By Author link in the Past Articles menu. Then click on the Authors name in the list that displays.

I think that's it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2008 11:23 #1070 by Notahandle
From "The Bomb" the Next link takes me to "Desperation Morale", and not to "Terminator :Sarah Connor..." OS X 10.4.11 Safari 3.0.4 (523.12). History, cache, cookies cleared.

Do the apps you're using support tooltips? Because info like the above would be helpful in that form as well as a FAQ.

More
18 Jan 2008 12:07 #1073 by Ken B.
Sounds like it's going by author, as that was Michael's previous contribution to the site.

More
18 Jan 2008 13:24 #1083 by Notahandle
I don't know whether this tells you anything useful but it doesn't seem to matter if I approach it from Home, Recent Articles, or Browse All Articles.

More
19 Jan 2008 19:48 #1147 by ubarose
Adrian Bolt wrote:

From "The Bomb" the Next link takes me to "Desperation Morale", and not to "Terminator :Sarah Connor..." OS X 10.4.11 Safari 3.0.4 (523.12). History, cache, cookies cleared.

That's correct. The Next> link will take you to the next article in that subject section. "The Bomb" is in the Features>Gameshark section. The next article in that section is "Desperation Morale."

It works similarly to the way BGG works. On the front page of BGG the modules will list posts from many different forums. For example, if you have the "Reviews" mod on your front page, you will see a list of all the recent reviews for all the game forums. Let's say you want to read the review for CUBA, which is at the top of the list, AND the review for MASONS which is listed second. Once you click on the CUBA review, you are in the CUBA game forum. If you want to read more reviews for CUBA, you can move around within that forum. However, when you want to read the MASONS review, you have to navigate out of the CUBA forum and into the MASONS forum, either by returning to the front page, and clicking on the MASONS post, or navigating to the MASONS forum and finding the review listed there.

If you are trying to browse in chronological order recommend "Browse All Articles" and the back button. Those two work together like a front page mod on BBG, and the back button on your browser.

More
21 Jan 2008 08:38 #1182 by Notahandle
Thanks for the explanation. While the new F:AT is still small, I was thinking to click on the latest article, then previous and keep going until I hit the last article I read the last time I browsed. Browse All Articles and Back works, although once I've read the first page I have the counter-intuitive clicking of Next to get to the previous article!

Once F:AT grows I imagine I'll be browsing by section. Would it be possible to indicate which section you're in more obviously? Clicking on the lefthand links takes you to a titled list, but for articles within that list, some seem to have section titles and some don't. Caveat: I've only sampled a small number. And I don't know whether it's actually worth having a section title for the individual articles.

More
21 Jan 2008 08:49 #1183 by Ken B.
I've thought about tagging every article, as I did the Sarah Connor and Cloverfield reviews. However I do wonder if for the longer sections if that wouldn't be distracting to read "[Rants and Raves] Why I Think Plastic Figures are Close to Godliness" or something like that.

Is it worth tagging every article like that? Would that look bad, or would it help?

More
21 Jan 2008 09:55 #1185 by ubarose
I agree, that next button is counter intuitive, especially when you are accustomed to blogs, like we are.

The new articles are getting "tagged". Look under the title and above the author's name. The section should be displaying.

More
21 Jan 2008 11:54 #1194 by Notahandle
Ken, dare I copy numerous posts from ThatOtherSite and ask if tags will be searchable? Tagging every article is a good idea because you're planning ahead, functionality could be added later. For displaying it, I'd suggest it be separate from the title. At the moment the Home page features "2007: A Boardgaming Year in Review", followed by Section, Written by, and the Date, each on it's own line with spacing. This looks good. For the longer sections you could save vertical space by combining all three on one line, ideally centred left, middle, and right respectively.

ubarose, you've nailed it: my Next/Previous habit started with the Hawkwings.net blog.

More
21 Jan 2008 12:55 #1204 by ubarose
Adrian Bolt wrote:

Ken, dare I copy numerous posts from ThatOtherSite and ask if tags will be searchable? Tagging every article is a good idea because you're planning ahead, functionality could be added later. For displaying it, I'd suggest it be separate from the title. At the moment the Home page features "2007: A Boardgaming Year in Review", followed by Section, Written by, and the Date, each on it's own line with spacing. This looks good. For the longer sections you could save vertical space by combining all three on one line, ideally centred left, middle, and right respectively.

ubarose, you've nailed it: my Next/Previous habit started with the Hawkwings.net blog.

The layout for displaying the section, author, and date can't be changed without hacking the application code, and no one wants to go there.

The authors of articles can "tag" their own articles by adding metadata keywords which are searchable, but do not display on the article itself. The search button gives you an input box for keyword. It will bring up articles that have that word in their title, text or as a keyword (i.e. tag).

As you said, additional functionality may be added later.

More
21 Jan 2008 18:51 #1216 by Notahandle
Hacking the application code?
Run away! Run away!

For tags have some guidelines so authors will be consistent. You want to avoid (for example, in BGG terms) having "components" and "customised" tags being undefined and leading to contradictions. That is, one group labelling a customised piece as "customised", while another group uses "customised" and "components". The former gives a simple one word search for both out-of-the-box and modified pieces; the latter doesn't. And using both means any search for out-of-the-box items is buggered.
The fact that you only allow authors to tag things goes a long way towards avoiding problems!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds