October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Site is Being Upgraded

More
09 Jan 2015 22:18 #194695 by ubarose
I am upgrading the site. The upgrading is being phased in. Expect changes. Expect some wonkiness, particularly with regards to appearance. I am focusing on the engine, and will be attending to lay out issues that are not critical after the engine is all up and working.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2015 14:13 - 11 Jan 2015 14:24 #194766 by ubarose
Getting this done requires focus, inspiration and motivation, so I am going to post about what I am doing because talking about it keeps me motivated and inspired, but when I talk about it to Al and The Spawn they just go, "That's nice" and roll their eyes a little.

The short story is I have a copy of the Fort with an upgraded core running with a responsive layout, which means it resizes itself for tablets and phone. I am excited about this. Watching it transform as I make my browser window bigger and smaller is pretty cool. The main menu changes to a drop down when you get to phone size, which is also cool. But now I have to get back to the boring part of migrating tables to make all the bits of the site work.

Long Story:

A good deal of the work required is slow and tedious. I've been staring at my screen for two days now, and my fingers, wrists, eyes and back hurt.

In layman's terms what needs to be done is a lot like updating your OS to a new version, then updating all your apps to new versions compatible with your new OS. In theory this should be an easy process. In reality, it rarely goes smoothly, and when everything is finally updated, you discover that half your files can't be read by the new version of your apps so you have to convert those as well. And sometimes, things go so badly that you transform your computer/phone/tablet into a brick. We don't want that happening to the Fort, so the first step is to make a copy of the site, move it to a sandbox region and test the entire process and the results there. That's like when you get a new computer and have to set it up and then copy everything on the old one over to the new one. In theory that should be easy too, but sometimes what happens is the damn thing runs for hours and then hangs.

Anyway, setting up the test site is the most tedious and dreaded bit of the process for me. I had to babysit the process for hours. All in all that took about 8 hours, which actually isn't bad, since it is the equivalent of migrating an entire site to a new server, and we have all seen our favorite sites down for 2 days or more when they do that.

After getting the test site set up, I tested an intermediate upgrade (got everything to the highest build before migrating to the new version). This required finding and cleaning up garbage in the database left over from the import from Blogger. When I finally got that all working, I repeated the process here. This means the article layout looks a little different than it did before. The comment counter image at the top of the articles just shows zero even though there are comments, and the hit counter isn't displaying everywhere it should. I am not going to fix this now, since this is only an intermediate point of the upgrade process.

After that, I got the new layout functioning, since the old one doesn't work with the new core. Now I starting to do the equivalent of upgrading all my apps to versions compatible with the a new OS. This requires migrating a bunch of tables which is always a pain in the ass.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2015 14:24 by ubarose.

More
11 Jan 2015 14:21 #194767 by hotseatgames
As someone who does this stuff for a living, I know the tedium you are experiencing. Thank you for your efforts!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
11 Jan 2015 14:55 #194770 by charlest
This is appreciated, I'm on my phone about half the time when browsing this site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
11 Jan 2015 21:40 #194787 by engelstein
Great stuff! And it reminded me I needed to make my annual donation.

Thanks for all you do!

More
12 Jan 2015 08:33 #194800 by Legomancer
Thanks for your work, Uba!

More
12 Jan 2015 12:54 #194855 by Ken B.
The thing about Uba is--she never falters. She's fucking amazing. Thank you, Shellie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, scissors

More
12 Jan 2015 13:06 #194858 by ubarose
I have all the critical bits functioning on the test site (articles, forums, comments and PM).

I was really tired when I was updating the PM system, so on first attempt all Ken and Barney's love notes to each other appeared in my in box. j/k. PM was totally FUBAR. All messages where just a series of numbers. Moment of panic. Figured out that the series of numbers was a time stamp, and I had lost a column. Had to fallback, drop tables, migrate tables, insert column, then reinstall.

Hopefully won't do that again. Bah, who am I kidding. I will definitely do something like that again. Can't help it. I like to do the work that requires focus after everyone is asleep so I don't get interrupted mid-thought, but things always take longer than expected and next thing I know 11pm becomes 3am and I am bleary eyed and I screwing up. Also, I take notes when working on the test site, but the notes made at 2am never make sense to me the next day. I'm all like, "WTH does that mean?"

So now I am at the point of making it all look pretty. This is where I make the had "form vs function" decisions.

The new engine also allows for a more flexible taxonomy and permissions. I'm trying to use it to pull down the walls between articles and blogs, hook up new game listings with reviews, streamline submissions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, lj1983, Egg Shen

More
12 Jan 2015 13:06 #194859 by Sagrilarus
And I'm not sure she even likes us anymore. This is some real dedication here. Thanks.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
12 Jan 2015 18:02 #194918 by SuperflyPete
Please, have "sticky" posts always at the top of the forums so they don't disappear, and add a "Let's Talk" section where all of the "Let's Talk..." discussion threads can reside.

Thanks so much for updating the site, and really, for all that you do to keep us all connected. Without you I would never know the joys of seeing Lee change his avatar to a boobie-crushed Hulk, among others.

Seriously, though, we should consider a donation drive where we all post games we want to get rid of, and the proceeds of the auction goes to the site's operating costs. I'd totally donate some goodstuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
12 Jan 2015 20:04 #194926 by ubarose

SuperflyTNT wrote: Please, have "sticky" posts always at the top of the forums so they don't disappear

The stickies are always at the top of the forum in which they reside. The default Trash Talk page is the active topics. You have to click on INDEX in the menu to get to the individual forums.

More
13 Jan 2015 06:53 - 13 Jan 2015 07:08 #194959 by Cranberries
Do you prefer cash donations or should everyone chip in and buy you a game(s)?
Last edit: 13 Jan 2015 07:08 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
13 Jan 2015 13:31 - 13 Jan 2015 13:35 #194998 by ubarose

craniac wrote: Do you prefer cash donations or should everyone chip in and buy you a game(s)?

I don't receive any compensation from the Fort, nor do any of the writers or staff. We all use our own money to deal with the site's cash flow issues. This upgrade is going to cost around $400 in software purchases, which creates one of those cash flow issues. Anyway monetary, donations to the Fort are always greatly appreciated.

P.S. Now I lost my train of thought. Take a little break and I forget what I'm doing. Oh, yeah, the logo resizing issue, and the cache issue.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2015 13:35 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, cdennett

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds