October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Opinions on Taxonomy of Site Articles

More
18 Jan 2015 13:52 - 19 Jan 2015 13:11 #195370 by ubarose
History:

When we first set up the site, we looked over the articles we had on the blog, and created categories to suit them. We have tweaked them a little over the years, mainly separating the News out from the Articles and adding Podcasts, Five Second Reviews and Cartoons/Humor.

Now:

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to streamline at least the menus. It seems to me that most people read the site from the Front Page, or one of the modules that display ALL the recent articles/blogs mashed up together. Some occasionally browse News or Reviews. Having the subcategories (Analysis, Rants and Raves, Gaming Scene, Interviews, etc.) as menu items isn't particularly useful, and just clutters things up, particularly on mobile, which is how more and more people read the site.

Question:

Do any of you browse by subcategory? If so which one? Example: Browsing the Interviews
Do any of you use the Advanced Search by subcategory?

ETA: I'm talking about Article Categories, NOT forum categories. We will get to forum categories sometime in the future.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2015 13:11 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2015 14:10 #195372 by Gary Sax
As you say, I use the front page big categories and don't use the subcaegories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
18 Jan 2015 17:28 - 18 Jan 2015 17:30 #195385 by Sagrilarus
Never use subcategories, and I think breaking them inot about four or five is all that would be useful on the menus. Games, People, Gaming Scene, Trash Culture, and He Fucking Dick then Bullshit. Something like that if anything.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2015 17:30 by Sagrilarus.

More
18 Jan 2015 19:08 #195397 by Jackwraith
I've never browsed by category. I think Sag's broad identification is the right idea, if anything.

More
18 Jan 2015 23:01 #195405 by Sevej
The only things I've ever used category on is Reviews, Articles and those Barnes' & Matt Thrower Stuff. I think the first deserves its own category, and the laters can be summed into one.

More
19 Jan 2015 07:20 #195422 by Cranberries
I just come to the site and click trash talk, then read the recent posts and the mega threads (what games are you BUYING) etc. once in a while I'll read a front page article. I don't know why some stuff goes into Mos Eisley and other content is in Ameritrash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Pugnax555

More
19 Jan 2015 11:20 #195442 by Shellhead
The only time that I'm aware of the categories or sub-categories is when I am starting a new discussion thread and I need to briefly consider category.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney

More
19 Jan 2015 13:07 #195470 by ubarose

craniac wrote: I just come to the site and click trash talk, then read the recent posts and the mega threads (what games are you BUYING) etc. once in a while I'll read a front page article. I don't know why some stuff goes into Mos Eisley and other content is in Ameritrash.

Stuff goes into the wrong categories in Trash Talk because when you click on New Topic it defaults to whatever category you are currently reading. If you want to post in category other than what you are currently reading, you have to change the category using the drop down menu at the top of the post submission page. A lot of people overlook that step, so the staff has to go in and move the topic to the correct category. We don't have members here who are category nazis (thank goodness, I hate it on other sites when someone puts the effort into posting something, and the first response they get is from some dickhead telling them they posted in the wrong category), but the downside of that, is we don't have members calling attention to things in the wrong category and we ourselves are kind of lazy moderators, so we only occasionally go in hunting for stuff in the wrong categories and moving them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Jan 2015 13:10 #195471 by ubarose

Sevej wrote: The only things I've ever used category on is Reviews, Articles and those Barnes' & Matt Thrower Stuff. I think the first deserves its own category, and the laters can be summed into one.

When you say "Barnes' & Matt's Stuff" do you mean that you browse by author? If so how do you do that? Do you use the Columnist menu at the bottom of the site? Or the scroller at the bottom of their articles?

More
19 Jan 2015 15:12 #195492 by Dr. Mabuse
I always go to the Front page, hit up the latest article or blog then right into Trash Talk.

More
20 Jan 2015 09:00 #195530 by SuperflyPete
I would break them down by Staff Writer or "Theme" (Barnestorming/Bolt Thrower), etc, and then be done.

If there's any one feature I think that would make this site a "better site" from an academic perspective, it would be something like the Geeklist feature over at the shithole. Something like a FATlist. This would allow for some really killer game lists to be generated. Even better if you can find a way to mine the cover art from the 7th Ring of Hell and resize it here. I know, lots of work, but that's the one thing I think would really give the site a really nice feature that it doesn't already have.

Cheers again, Shellie, for all this work you're putting in. We all really do appreciate it. Perhaps someday I can come over and hang a couple sheets of sheetrock or do some electrical work to even up the score :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds