October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Opinions wanted on Site Features/Tools

More
19 Jan 2015 08:56 #195428 by Legomancer
I don't use any of those features, but I like the look of the Back Page. Thanks for calling my attention to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2015 09:22 #195429 by Black Barney
I can't believe no one uses #1 and #2. I use both on a daily basis and find them immensely useful. They're both the equivalent of the feature everyone uses of "Recent Topics" for Trash Talk. #1 and #2 are the equivalent for articles and for comments on articles. You don't miss a beat when you use those features. I love them.

Hey Uba, when I post articles now, is there a way to make a photo or image used for the front page? I uploaded four images with my last five second review and none of them got used for the front page. I find front page articles that don't have an image get lost.

Let me know if I missed a step or if it was just an editorial decision (which is fine, btw)

More
19 Jan 2015 09:24 #195430 by Gregarius

Mad Dog wrote: I use #2 because I bookmarked the forum.

Ditto.

More
19 Jan 2015 11:05 #195438 by bfkiller
Oh, I'd also like to thank you for looking for ways to streamline and simplify the site. Most of the sites I frequent tend to bolt new shit on without removing any of the old shit until the site becomes completely unfriendly to what I can only assume would be 99% of its users (BGG is by far the worst offender for this that I know of).
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Not Sure

More
19 Jan 2015 11:29 #195444 by OldHippy
I use 1 and 2 a lot. I don't really use the others although that's just because I am usually not aware of them. That back page is kind of cool I could see myself using that now that I'm aware of it.

Pretty soon we'll have the most elegant and least fiddly page of all, but isn't that backwards from the site's meaning in some ways?

Thanks again for all the hard work Uba... you rock.

More
19 Jan 2015 12:08 #195452 by SuperflyPete

Disgustipater wrote: I like #2. My bookmark to this site is the forum main page so I don't see the articles in any other way. But to be honest, I only click on an article once in a great while. So if it went away, it wouldn't really bother me.

I don't even know what the other things are.

I am laughing so hard right now, for really the dumbest reason ever. I had this thought "Disgustipater likes the #2."

I like the #2 as well. I don't use the others.

More
19 Jan 2015 12:16 #195454 by Disgustipater
Feels good man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
19 Jan 2015 12:33 #195456 by ubarose

schlupp wrote:
What about the Profile Page? What is a F:AT friend? Can you sort and search F:AT members?

Yes can search members. From your profile, click on FAT Members. And then on the page that displays, click on "Search Users" just under the the drop down on the upper left side of the member list page. You can use the drop down to see a list of Fortress Staff. You can search by user name or location. Although most members haven't input their location, so that is not very helpful.

Alternately you can get to the same search page via Advanced Search (upper left under the search box at the top left of the site).

The primary advantage of friending someone is that they get added to a short list in the the PM system. Makes it easier if you PM certain people frequently.

More
19 Jan 2015 12:39 - 19 Jan 2015 13:44 #195459 by ubarose

ThirstyMan wrote: I find it very hard to search for things like:

All of Repo's posts from the last 3 weeks or

Search entire site for mention of 'insert obscure band name'

Barney's home address

Actually I find it pretty hard to search for anything effectively. Certainly, this is something to do with me being a dick but all the same....

Searching for "All of Repo's posts for the last 3 weeks isn't possible. However, searching for all of Repo's posts in the last month is a piece of cake. Just click on the Search button at the top of the Forum, just below the scroller.

You can search the entire site with the search box at the top of the site, but it searched by keywords, so it will pull up every instance of each word, which can be too much. If you just want to search the articles, use the Advanced search.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2015 13:44 by ubarose.

More
19 Jan 2015 12:51 - 19 Jan 2015 12:52 #195462 by ubarose

Black Barney wrote: Hey Uba, when I post articles now, is there a way to make a photo or image used for the front page? I uploaded four images with my last five second review and none of them got used for the front page. I find front page articles that don't have an image get lost.

Let me know if I missed a step or if it was just an editorial decision (which is fine, btw)

That's due to being in a transition state with regards to the upgrade. As I mentioned elsewhere, the site is going to be wonky until the entire upgrade is complete. If you go to the back page or the article itself, you can see that the pictures are actually there.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2015 12:52 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
19 Jan 2015 13:40 #195477 by Almalik
I go directly to forum/recent, so really only use #2 otherwise.

More
19 Jan 2015 15:11 #195491 by Dr. Mabuse
1 and 2 occasionally (once or twice a month). The others, no.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds