October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bookmarks, 404s, and other broken stuff

More
30 Jan 2015 21:48 #196569 by ubarose
If you are getting a 404message, post the link here.

If you are seeing broken stuff, other than the missing attachments in some of the threads, let me know.

Also, pictures in the older articles aren't displaying at all. I'm working on that. But if you see the broken image icon, let me know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer
The topic has been locked.
More
30 Jan 2015 23:33 #196575 by OldHippy
The only time I got a 404 message was when I was on my iPhone and I'm unable to link that right now... hope that helps and thanks again for all your hard work to ensure we get to waste time on the net posting about silly things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose
More
31 Jan 2015 07:43 #196585 by wadenels
I like the new changes. Yesterday the fortressat.com/forum address wasn't working, but today it seems fine. The only thing that's really been standing out to me is that the fonts look huge compared to the old site, but I imagine layout and formatting stuff is still under construction.

Thanks for the hard work!
More
31 Jan 2015 14:39 #196606 by ubarose
Thanks. So it seems Trash Talk is working. And the old links to Trash Talk are now working.
More
31 Jan 2015 21:48 #196618 by Sagrilarus
What's the plan for images? I'm hosting my stuff at BGG and linking to it from here and that's fine. But is there a plan to upload photos to F:At?

I'm talking about for the more routine stuff like trash talk posts. I haven't looked at the article module yet.

S.
More
31 Jan 2015 23:44 - 31 Jan 2015 23:46 #196622 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: What's the plan for images? I'm hosting my stuff at BGG and linking to it from here and that's fine. But is there a plan to upload photos to F:At?

I'm talking about for the more routine stuff like trash talk posts. I haven't looked at the article module yet.

S.

You can upload images to the forum. You always have been able to do that. It's just not intuitive.

Click Add File

Choose what file you want to add. Then click Insert (for pictures. Attachments like PDFs you don't want to insert)

The files will upload when you hit submit to post your reply
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 23:46 by ubarose.
More
01 Feb 2015 08:02 #196625 by Sagrilarus
Yeah but how do you link to them for positioning and the like? I suppose I could just pull the url on a first pass, and then edit the entry and make a link to them. I'll try that next time.
More
01 Feb 2015 12:14 #196629 by stormseeker75
Viewing user profiles doesn't work. I get a blank page. No errors or anything, just a blank page.
More
01 Feb 2015 13:28 #196631 by ubarose
The forum uses BBCode. Articles use HTML.

So let's just talk about the forum.

When you click the insert button, it puts the BBCode necessary to display the picture in your post, just like when you click on the quote button it inserts the BBCode to display the quote. The code will look something like:
[attachment1:]MyImage.jpg[/attachment]

You can then cut an paste this any where you want to in your post. This is essentially the same thing that BGG does when you choose to upload an image and put it into a post.

The articles are an entirely different animal than the forum. Articles are running on a blog engine rather than a forum engine.

We had a more robust blog interface from almost the beginning of the Fort, which allowed members to upload images to a personal gallery, and choose images from that gallery and position them where ever they wished in their blog entry. But the reality is that very few of our members are familiar with blog interfaces. It confused them, so they didn't use any of the features, and just hot linked images from elsewhere (which, by the way, usually created a big old mess). This blog interface became obsolete when we moved to a newer version of php, which broke the gallery function. Most people just want to type in their text and add one picture at the top of their blog/article. Therefore, rather than purchase the new blog software, I made the decision to move to a much simpler interface that does exactly that very easily. Our current article submission interface uploads pictures and positions one main picture in the upper left corner of the article. All the other pictures are placed in gallery below. It will also upload from an URL (so you don't have to have to download the image from elsewhere, and then upload it), and resizes images automatically when uploading, and reduces the amount of manual intervention required by me to keep the site looking tidy. It creates all the thumbnails necessary for all the different ways the article is displayed throughout the site, on our Facebook, and on the RSS feed.

The Fort also had a personal gallery feature attached to your member account, like BGG and Facebook, for quite awhile. But no one used it. So I got rid of that as well. I could bring that back up again, but you would have to convince me that it would be useful for anything other than free hosting space and hot linking to from elsewhere (like people do with their personal galleries on BGG).

Finally, your question regarding what the plan is to be able to upload images to the site and position them, despite the fact that you, whom I consider to be a power user, have been able to do this for like four years and didn't realize it, indicates to me that the whole personal gallery and robust blog interface was a total failure
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus
More
01 Feb 2015 13:31 #196632 by ubarose

stormseeker75 wrote: Viewing user profiles doesn't work. I get a blank page. No errors or anything, just a blank page.

Thanks. This info is exactly what I an looking for.
More
01 Feb 2015 14:40 #196636 by ubarose

ubarose wrote:

stormseeker75 wrote: Viewing user profiles doesn't work. I get a blank page. No errors or anything, just a blank page.

Thanks. This info is exactly what I an looking for.

This is fixed. Also, FYI you can also PM people directly from your own Mail Box.

Three different ways to PM someone.

From your own mailbox. Choose MY Mail under My Account Menu

From the profile of the person you want to PM

From the message icon below the person's avatar in Trash Talk

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax
More
01 Feb 2015 20:03 #196649 by Hex Sinister
When I click on trash talk/recent topics it seems to send me to the last page I was on instead of the first page. (note: I am on an old unsupported firefox though).
More
01 Feb 2015 21:02 #196653 by Grudunza
This is still a WIP I hope, right? I read F:AT almost exclusively on my iPhone and that experience seems a lot worse now with having to scroll down past so much at every page just to get to the content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample
More
01 Feb 2015 21:31 #196656 by Cranberries
Stuck with just my phone in Sri Slanka. The mobile site looks great.
More
01 Feb 2015 21:32 #196658 by VonTush
Just received an email from Brewmeister:

Would you mind forwarding to Uba I'm having some issues with the website? I use Chrome and seem to be seeing things ok but when I try to comment on a thread I get an access denied screen. My mail seems to be messed up as well.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds