October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2440 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bugs Reporting and Suggestions

More
06 Feb 2015 14:10 - 09 Feb 2015 19:39 #197009 by ubarose
Somehow we got two threads going and it was too much for me to keep up with. I have locked those two threads. Please post here instead.

So far I have:

Forum layout is somewhat broken on templets

Brewmiester gets access denied

Barney can't upload media to his articles

Authors can't edit their author bio on their FAT card

Browser tab titles are too long

Member search/list returns a blank page

Recent comments on articles list has not yet been implemented

New replies indicator in the forum is too small

Implement Site Search

Add Forum and Member Search to Tools

Link color in articles does not stand out from the text color.

Fix the PM notifier

Fix the Trash Mail Box

Improve the Text Sizer
Last edit: 09 Feb 2015 19:39 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2015 14:28 #197011 by Black Barney
and my pockets hurt.

More
06 Feb 2015 14:42 #197014 by groth
When using Safari (5.1.10) on a MacBook Pro I get text chopped off to the right if I resize the window & make the text bigger. Text is chopped off & there is no horizontal scroll bar to see the rest of it.

When I use the Chrome browser (40.0.2214.111) and do the same: resize browser window & make the text bigger, no text or user's avatars get chopped off.

More
06 Feb 2015 15:09 #197018 by Msample
For me, the masthead on the pages seems to take up two much space - every new page I click on, I have to scroll halfway down to see the content I want to read.

More
06 Feb 2015 16:44 #197023 by Space Ghost
And, the Random Trashdome Generator App :)

More
06 Feb 2015 17:52 #197027 by ubarose
Barney, did you get my PM?

More
06 Feb 2015 18:03 - 06 Feb 2015 18:10 #197028 by ubarose

groth wrote: When using Safari (5.1.10) on a MacBook Pro I get text chopped off to the right if I resize the window & make the text bigger. Text is chopped off & there is no horizontal scroll bar to see the rest of it.

When I use the Chrome browser (40.0.2214.111) and do the same: resize browser window & make the text bigger, no text or user's avatars get chopped off.

Safari re-configures at specific screen sizes (i.e. Desktop, Notebook, Tablet, and Phone). If you resize to something in between, it gets FUBAR. I am working on a solution (this is also related to the forums looking a little messy at Tablet size), but in the meantime, size up or down slightly until the missing text pops back into view.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2015 18:10 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Space Ghost

More
07 Feb 2015 10:23 #197096 by Gary Sax
I really like the idea of having the articles and new blog posts list in the forums as well, color coded. Very nice.

I do wish there was a way to link the article comments into the trash talk forum system, but I'm guessing there is super complicated interactions behind the scenes that make that impossible. It's tough to have two different comment threads on the same article (one in the forums, one on the article itself).

More
07 Feb 2015 10:46 - 07 Feb 2015 11:02 #197097 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: I really like the idea of having the articles and new blog posts list in the forums as well, color coded. Very nice.

I do wish there was a way to link the article comments into the trash talk forum system, but I'm guessing there is super complicated interactions behind the scenes that make that impossible. It's tough to have two different comment threads on the same article (one in the forums, one on the article itself).

It's totally all integrated. I wasn't able to import existing comments into Trash Talk (they are now in the articles under Archived Comments), but going forward, if you comment on the article page it appears in the Trash Talk thread, and vice versa. So there's only one conversation. On the old articles, you just miss the beginning of the conversation if you only read Trash Talk.

P.S. Also, the article won't appear in Trash Talk until the first comments in made on the article page. So being the first to comment is now a thing.
Last edit: 07 Feb 2015 11:02 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
07 Feb 2015 16:27 #197110 by Gary Sax
That is a completely awesome feature. GREAT idea. There was a sense in which we were having disconnected conversations on the front page and in the forums, that completely solves it. I also think it's nice because we often have front page commenters who don't post in the forums. They can continue to do it, but it gives them a nice automatic link and presence in the forums if they choose to branch out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
07 Feb 2015 16:55 #197111 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: That is a completely awesome feature. GREAT idea. There was a sense in which we were having disconnected conversations on the front page and in the forums, that completely solves it. I also think it's nice because we often have front page commenters who don't post in the forums. They can continue to do it, but it gives them a nice automatic link and presence in the forums if they choose to branch out.

Yep. That's exactly right. It's also one of the reasons this upgrade has been so long in coming. I wanted it to be a bit slicker, with the old comments imported into the new interface, but I finally just gave up on that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cdennett

More
08 Feb 2015 00:53 - 08 Feb 2015 00:56 #197126 by ubarose
Text sizer has been improved. It will go up two sizes and down two sizes from the default. Works on text size in articles, forum posts and comments.
Hit the up button once or twice for tablets and phones.

Clear your browser cache if you are not seeing any significant difference from before.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2015 00:56 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
08 Feb 2015 13:34 #197146 by ubarose

Msample wrote: For me, the masthead on the pages seems to take up two much space - every new page I click on, I have to scroll halfway down to see the content I want to read.

Yeah, I know. It is also awkward, and doesn't mesh well with the rest of the site. I am working through some better designs on the test site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
09 Feb 2015 09:47 #197189 by Black Barney

ubarose wrote: Barney, did you get my PM?

hehe, throw this up into another comment/suggestion:

On the old site, I would never miss having a new message since it was bright green on black at the top of the screen. Now it's dark blue on lighter blue and it's on the right side of the page where I never look.

Not sure if there's a way to make that stand out more.

No big deal, I just don't want to miss Ken's booty calls

More
09 Feb 2015 12:44 #197205 by ubarose
I have the PM notifier listed in the OP. It was throwing errors, so I took it down until I could get it debugged.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds