October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

IMPORTANT SITE NOTICE - The END TIMES are here!

More
01 May 2018 11:43 #272375 by Space Ghost

Sagrilarus wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: They have an awesome database, but the leave a lot of analysis on the table. It could be much more useful

You're leaping to the conclusion that their database is clean and well-populated. I don't get that feeling looking from the outside, and that's more or less what I do for a living. Looking from the inside may bring some indigestion.

Fair enough. Even the ranking data could be leveraged to do more with it than they do -- which is pretty silly, when it all comes down to it. I was thinking of writing an app where we could get paired-comparisons between games and then start building models from there. So much better than providing hard scores between 1-10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2018 13:18 - 01 May 2018 13:18 #272392 by ecargo
Hi everyone! I'm one of the casualties of the Miniature Market decision, so I'm really glad to see all the support. I look forward to contributing reviews here in the future.
Last edit: 01 May 2018 13:18 by ecargo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus

More
01 May 2018 13:29 #272396 by barrowdown

ecargo wrote: Hi everyone! I'm one of the casualties of the Miniature Market decision, so I'm really glad to see all the support. I look forward to contributing reviews here in the future.

As long as you use "Rose" as your byline, I think it will be okay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo

More
01 May 2018 14:07 #272404 by boothwah
Cool. As long as the forums stay the forums.

Earlier last year, one of my longest online hangouts disappeared. Decktech.net - It was a ccg bulletin board, that was a prominent not-the-establishment, and it hit it's stride with the SWCCG community - serving as Decipher's foil while the game was produced and then an alternate area of discussion from the Player's Committee as the game trudged on decades after it's death. It also had an active LOTRtcg community (BARNEY USED TO WRITE ABOUT IT REEL GUD) as well as VS system. It;s funny, though, because even when the games died the community still hung around. We talked about SWCCG a lot less and it turned into a bro-board.

This may seem silly, but I had to grieve that site going down a little bit. Even though it was deader than dead at the end, i could still go back and chuckle at over a decades worth of tomfoolery and shared stories. It was like finding out a bunch of my high school buddies all died.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
01 May 2018 14:47 #272415 by SuperflyPete
100% how I felt when I found out about this transformation.

As a “fatality” in the Miniature Market divestment of writers, this was kind of a wake up call. Written media is dying, and fighting that is a losing battle. Sorry, but it is. I have been researching broad-brush music licensing, video editing tools, etc. because that’s where this market is going.

More
01 May 2018 15:02 - 01 May 2018 15:02 #272417 by xthexlo

SuperflyTNT wrote: I have been researching broad-brush music licensing, video editing tools, etc. because that’s where this market is going.

Or cartoons. People still love cartoons. Hmmm... what about "Reviews a la Oglaf"?
Last edit: 01 May 2018 15:02 by xthexlo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, SuperflyPete

More
01 May 2018 15:19 - 01 May 2018 15:19 #272418 by Black Barney
ack I didn't know Decktech had died Booth, that's too bad. So many great memories. Remember when patrick dinelle wrote that his grandmother had died and none of us believed him and I asked him if it was natural causes or murder-suicide?

you heard about that #metoo controversy regarding that actress? I saw it on Facebook and was so embarassed.
Last edit: 01 May 2018 15:19 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
01 May 2018 15:34 #272420 by Shellhead
It's been years since I bothered to watch a video review. Most video reviewers are boring people, and I am forced to endure the review at the speed at which they speak. I can't skim ahead to the parts that interest me like I can in a text review. No, I have to sit there through the tedious unboxing and perusal of components, followed by the tedious recitation of rules. So I don't have time for that shit anymore. If it's the future of this hobby, then the future looks very small and gray to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LilRed, SebastianBludd, Msample, boothwah, Gregarius

More
01 May 2018 17:15 #272436 by boothwah

Shellhead wrote: It's been years since I bothered to watch a video review. Most video reviewers are boring people, and I am forced to endure the review at the speed at which they speak. I can't skim ahead to the parts that interest me like I can in a text review. No, I have to sit there through the tedious unboxing and perusal of components, followed by the tedious recitation of rules. So I don't have time for that shit anymore. If it's the future of this hobby, then the future looks very small and gray to me.

Most of the video content out there on any subject is drek. Pure drek. 100's of tubers out there for any subject producing hours of pointless boring material. When I learning Overwatch, I went to try to find some tips and tutorials/guide content. So many videos, that have great intro graphics, some irrelevant gameplay going on in the background "HEY GUY WAASSUP, STREAMERGUY1780 HERE WITH ANOTHER OVERWATCH TIPS AND TRICKS GUIDE." and then 30 seconds of him explaining patreon/like/subscribe - into the vidoe : 3 to 6 minute rambling set up - then 3 to 4 minutes of info I could have read much quicker - None of the video material was even remotely helpful, it was just background music. Mostly it;s just people thinking they have a hot take on something. Took me a few minutes to google Overwatch University on reddit and got most of the content I wanted.

I don't think video will ever be the place to go for INFO. It's the default for ENTERTAINMENT. Who here would rather watch a crap 5 minute video that should have been 2 minutes long on how to fix your microwave light, than just download a parts number or instruction sheet.

So, I think there is place for written media - and video - just make sure that your video is entertaining, and that you offer information in manner that is helpful to the end user.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Black Barney, Frohike, Gregarius

More
01 May 2018 17:22 - 01 May 2018 17:25 #272437 by Black Barney
Lol that’s how I started my super lame Magic videos!! « Yo yo yo what is going on, it’s your boy Black Barney bringing you another live gameplay commentary here today... »

At least I never asked for money, subscribes or likes

I will always prefer information in text format but sometimes I can handle video. Achievement guides for video games are fun in video sometimes. This one guy, Mako, does good ones and you can hear his gf laughing and giggling in the background which made them adorable
Last edit: 01 May 2018 17:25 by Black Barney.

More
01 May 2018 21:53 #272447 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: At least I never asked for money, subscribes or likes

Which is why you are now here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete, hotseatgames

More
02 May 2018 08:42 #272459 by Aarontu
Nice new look for the site.

FAT is dead! Long live FAT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
02 May 2018 10:52 #272479 by rafcordero
Hey everyone. I'm also one of the recent fatalities over at MM and Charlie's podcast partner. A bit bummed to hear they were moving away from written work as I've enjoyed writing there. Excited to keep it going here; I also really appreciate the excitement and support.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Frohike, charlest

More
02 May 2018 10:56 #272480 by Matt Thrower

rafcordero wrote: Hey everyone. I'm also one of the recent fatalities over at MM and Charlie's podcast partner. A bit bummed to hear they were moving away from written work as I've enjoyed writing there. Excited to keep it going here; I also really appreciate the excitement and support.

Welcome! Come on in, the water's lovely.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
02 May 2018 14:19 - 02 May 2018 14:31 #272518 by ThirstyMan
Mmm..sounds good.
Happy to write (not video) about what its like living OUTSIDE the EU and USA.
I'm sure Sevej could chime in on this one and our NZ and AUS friends.
I'm still a diehard wargamer who happens to love Arkham Horror LCG but is really mental for ASL. My gaming is exclusively solo because

1) I don't really relate to humans
2) No fucker lives anywhere near
3) Might be a Cylon, still self testing (this may be called masturbating, in other cultures)

Anyway there is certainly a story to be told.

Also fell over drunk as a skunk this evening. Some random arabic guys picked me up and took me home after offering to bandage up my bleeding legs and elbows.

Living here is cool as fuck.

PS Alcohol is completely illegal here (not in hotels, airports or anywhere else)
Last edit: 02 May 2018 14:31 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds