October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

IMPORTANT SITE NOTICE - The END TIMES are here!

More
27 Apr 2018 16:44 #272075 by xthexlo
I think it's a great idea. I believe that two comparative advantages will be easily leveraged in the new incarnation: clarity of position and social frame.

By "clarity of position," I mean that readers will know exactly where our writers stand. (Oops - I said "our" and not "your." I've embedded myself myself into the family: feel free to boot me.) Too many "review" and "discussion" sites are afraid of losing readers and have consequently hamstrung the power of their voice with their apparent need to hedge on declaring their opinions on whether a game/component/mechanism as good/bad/meh/etc. No worries here! Clarity of language and opinion was never a weakness at F:AT.

By "social frame," I mean putting a game in context by thinking about the living people engaged in a common activity of play. One of the greatest strengths of commentary on F:AT has been an appreciation of (and common reference to) a game's social context -- not just by noting that some audiences will appreciate it more than others, but by arguing that is doesn't matter if a game is "technically masterful" if it doesn't engage the hearts and minds of its attendant play group.

So, lay on MacDuff! And woe to him that cries, "enough!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, san il defanso, SuperflyPete, Frohike, sornars, stoic, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2018 16:46 #272076 by ubarose
Wow, thanks for all the support! It's so great to have you all on board with this. I'm really thrilled to have the band back together again. I'm really looking forward to having some daily unique, uncompromising, insightful, and irreverent criticism, analysis and commentary. Huge thanks to Barney and Matt, as well as our many guest writers, for keeping the front page alive so that we could finally arrive at this juncture.

Thank you all in advance for your patience as I tweak the site for this change over.

Finally, I hate begging for money, but we have a $500 server bill coming due in July, so if you your in a position to spare a few bucks, the admittedly crappy looking donate button is at the bottom of the page.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
27 Apr 2018 16:53 #272077 by Michael Barnes
Jim- PM me. I want you on staff if you are interested.

To echo what Shellie said- thanks so much for getting behind us on this. The energy level is awesome and we’ve got nowhere to go but up.

We will have “culture” articles on the front page in addition to the game content...because I think it’s nice to have an “other interests” area. I know that when I play games with folks I tend to talk about movies or books or whatever...not games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
27 Apr 2018 17:06 #272080 by Ken B.
Long overdue. When we wanted to do this years ago, there were riots, trash littering the streets, cars overturned, wedgies given. It's nice to see that time has softened all hard spots.

That came out wrong.

Or did it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, Matt Thrower, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, sornars

More
27 Apr 2018 17:10 - 27 Apr 2018 17:11 #272081 by southernman

Ken B. wrote: Long overdue. When we wanted to do this years ago, there were riots, trash littering the streets, cars overturned, wedgies given. It's nice to see that time has softened all hard spots.

That came out wrong.

Or did it?

You never complained about the wedgie back then ...
I do miss my car though, you bastard.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2018 17:11 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ken B.

More
27 Apr 2018 17:12 #272082 by Michael Barnes
And thus did the Angel of the Final Seal descend from the heavens, as those below shouted “Ken’s back!” And the End Times did proceed thusly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Ken B., Gary Sax, san il defanso, Josh Look, Frohike, sornars

More
27 Apr 2018 17:17 #272083 by Space Ghost
I sent you a PM, Michael.

More
27 Apr 2018 17:20 #272084 by cdennett

drewcula wrote: Part of your monetization plan could include swag with vintage graphics.
Specifically, I would like a t-shirt with the classic FORTRESS AT logo.

I think it was Repoman that had some F:AT shirts made back in pre-historic times. Perhaps he could be persuaded to dust off the design and have some more made (even though it will decidedly impact the value of my vintage shirts), perhaps at more of a premium price this time so some of the proceeds could be fed back to Uba.

Regarding the site change, I think this is likely the only way to rejuvenate things, and the plan seems solid. As much as I hate losing the "Ameritrash" identity here, it absolutely limits your ability to bring new people here. And having some "classic" forums buried somewhere may also keep people from running away screaming/mortified.

When I saw the MM was dumping all written reviews, I really didn't understand the reasoning. Perhaps their loss is our gain. And besides, all of us can all act like hipsters and say how we were on F:AT/TWBG before it was popular...

More
27 Apr 2018 17:24 #272085 by southernman
I hope the special forum for the die-hard FATies will still allow old fashioned cursing, or have a hidden section that does ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Black Barney

More
27 Apr 2018 19:06 - 27 Apr 2018 19:08 #272089 by SuperflyPete
Let us all know about your ad rates. I’m serious about creating an ad banner for here that is animated and has Secret Satan being attacked by a Seal. A baby seal. With a club.

The donation I sent isn’t a party to the advert I want to run.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2018 19:08 by SuperflyPete.

More
27 Apr 2018 20:31 #272091 by jpat
I'm was just a little shocked, but this all totally makes sense. Not only is there something of a chasm between video/audio and written reviews, but there's a real chance here to elevate games criticism--and I mean that seriously--to actual knowledgeable evaluation rather than simply components, mechanics, and gameplay summary, with a "I really liked it" paragraph at the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd

More
27 Apr 2018 20:32 #272092 by Da Bid Dabid
All that makes perfect sense, but I will miss the old name and clubhouse feel. Hopefully some of that sticks around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Apr 2018 20:47 #272096 by Not Sure
Y'all know if you need technical help I do this shit for a living, right? Don't be shy about reaching out.

Relying on me to write content would be a poor choice (aside from one-liners), but I do know a thing or two about servers.

The best part of this is seeing the lurkers that I thought had totally abandoned us pop up in the thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
27 Apr 2018 21:57 #272098 by SuperflyPete
I’m starting a series for two player games you can play drunk. We’ll do a “Tabletop” knockoff called “Top Shelf” that focused on games you can play at parties where people get their CRUNK CUP ON

There will be whiskey reviews and guitar gear involved. And a hot chick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
27 Apr 2018 22:00 #272100 by ChristopherMD
If I was less manly this thread would bring a tear to my eye. We've got a great community here and its awesome to see all the support.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds