October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Women Gamers

More
14 May 2018 20:33 #273301 by ChristopherMD
Women Gamers was created by ChristopherMD
There are a lot of female gamers and unfortunately the percentage of them among this forums regulars is disproportionally low. In the interest of appealing to a wider audience does anyone have any good suggestions on how to improve this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2018 21:08 #273304 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Women Gamers
Act like gentlemen and treat each other with respect?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Erik Twice, ecargo

More
14 May 2018 21:49 - 14 May 2018 21:49 #273306 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Women Gamers
I've been hoping that with a bit more regular content on the site, we'd attract a larger audience, in general, and I was hoping to recruit a couple friends of mine to either give regular feedback on the site and perhaps work their way into being contributors or to maybe seek out and find someone already working in a commentary role and solicit her contributions. That way, we might have a known name that would bring her audience (female and male) along with her and demonstrate that this is a place where people can have their voices heard, regardless of identity.
Last edit: 14 May 2018 21:49 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead

More
14 May 2018 21:58 #273307 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Women Gamers
It will help that we have two women on the writing staff. Charlie and I explicitly sought women writers- we’ve managed to find a couple. Teri Litorco was on staff for about a minute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Black Barney, Erik Twice, ecargo

More
14 May 2018 22:34 #273310 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Women Gamers
Articles and reviews written by women may lure our female lurkers to comment on them here, but the reality is Trash Talk is kind of a bro' space. We have more interaction around our content among women out on Facebook and Twitter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Erik Twice

More
14 May 2018 23:40 #273314 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Women Gamers
I suspect that this won’t be hard to do once the site becomes mainstream game news. This site has been very niche and insular for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a slow trickle of content and a very inactive membership in promoting articles.

Once a ton of articles are being presented on a wide array of topics, and social media word-of-mouth advertising starts boosting membership, the problem will solve itself.

Civility doesn’t hurt, either.

More
15 May 2018 09:22 #273323 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Women Gamers
Civility affects people no matter there sex so I don't like seeing that as a scapegoat, I'm sure males have abandoned the site too because of the current culture in the Trash Talk (and I'm not saying that current culture is poor or bad, just different).
I don't know what the forum plans are for going ahead, I have seen the mention of a 'clubhouse-type' forum for us site old-timers or regulars who enjoy what we have at present, but maybe split forums with explicit warnings on each ('Family level behaviour please' and 'Enter at your own discretion, and do not feed the animals').

I game often with women in the group and do not have any issue with female gamers, they have a brain and emotions just like everyone else (although I admit I do try to go into semi-Family mode and say Fuck a lot less).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
15 May 2018 09:47 #273326 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Women Gamers
Exactly.

Also...
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, engineer Al

More
15 May 2018 11:43 - 15 May 2018 11:49 #273337 by LilRed
Replied by LilRed on topic Women Gamers
I get the need to appeal to a bigger audience (female or otherwise) and I can understand that somethings must change for this site to do so.

I have no problem with more civility or less profanity. But I would hate to see this site lose its edge. For me the appeal of the fortress had always been the straightshooter, tell it like it is attitude. It's also one of the reasons why I can't stand being on BGG or watching most youtube channels on gaming. Because everything is the same family friendly, political correctness. If I want to hear a dude talk for 30 minutes without knowing if that person liked the game I'd be watching Dice Tower 24/7.

Dividing the site in or having an own forum for "veteran" is one way to solve it, but I won't advocate because it will divide and dilute the discussion on gaming that are often so interesting on this forum. Which just leads to people being left out.
Last edit: 15 May 2018 11:49 by LilRed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, JMcL63, Black Barney

More
15 May 2018 12:59 #273344 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Women Gamers
I don’t think there’s fewer women here because we have a cultural issue or that we’re hostile to women, I think it’s because very few people know the site exists and it has waned in relevance forever.

The downside of having a “familial” feel to the site is that unless you’re family, you don’t know it exists. Marketing and branding is the only effective way to bring women (and men, and sentient aliens) here, which is why the focus on quality content is half the battle, and a solid, concerted effort to disseminate both the brand and the content will be crucial.

I’ve seen much bigger brands die on the vine because they neglected to remind people they exist.

More
15 May 2018 13:07 #273345 by ubarose
The article discussions appear on the website proper, under the articles, and are mirrored here in Trash Talk (the bluish topics). Our policy is that article/reviews discussions are a bit more moderated than what goes on in the forum. These are much more public discussions, and historically, the first place new readers would venture to comment. They are a bit more moderated, and we ask that you be particularly welcoming in these discussions. Try to refrain from the kind of insider banter, references, and in jokes that makes new visitors feel like outsiders.

Also, if you are interested in growing an active, rather than a lurker community, make the effort to participate in the article discussions. Our articles are the public face of our site. They are the first landing pages for new visitors. The discussions are our welcome mat. When those discussions are active and interesting people are more likely to consider making the effort to register and jump into the conversation. If it’s just a string of bland comments, or in-jokes, or personal side conversations and barbs, they are going to move on.

What happens in Trash Talk in all our other forums, well, that’s it’s own thing. Although, if you want to grow Trash Talk, starting and participating in threads about board games and/or gaming probably would be a step in the right direction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, LilRed, Gary Sax, Jackwraith

More
15 May 2018 14:08 #273353 by ecargo
Replied by ecargo on topic Women Gamers
My two cents:

I've been registered on this site for over five years, but only recently visited regularly as I'm part of Michael's writing team. For the most part, I'd say the forums feel like I'd be inserting myself into somebody else's conversation. I am not sure any of that was because I'm a woman. I took it as it just being how this community is/was.

I'm not too keen on the idea that we have to specifically target women for the site. I rather have less discussion of what female gamers want like we're some kind of animal being observed in a zoo. (The fact that there's a whole "Women and Gaming" forum on BGG drives me crazy.) I hope that all gamers will visit the site because of the content. I don't feel the need to qualify my gamer status by noting my gender/sex. I hope people read my reviews for my writing, not just because I'm a female.

And, as an aside, I don't think profanity is necessarily related to the appeal of a place for women. It's anecdotal, but I know plenty of foul-mouthed females, myself included.

More
15 May 2018 14:46 #273354 by ubarose

ecargo wrote: My two cents:

I've been registered on this site for over five years, but only recently visited regularly as I'm part of Michael's writing team. For the most part, I'd say the forums feel like I'd be inserting myself into somebody else's conversation. I am not sure any of that was because I'm a woman. I took it as it just being how this community is/was.

I'm not too keen on the idea that we have to specifically target women for the site. I rather have less discussion of what female gamers want like we're some kind of animal being observed in a zoo. (The fact that there's a whole "Women and Gaming" forum on BGG drives me crazy.) I hope that all gamers will visit the site because of the content. I don't feel the need to qualify my gamer status by noting my gender/sex. I hope people read my reviews for my writing, not just because I'm a female.

And, as an aside, I don't think profanity is necessarily related to the appeal of a place for women. It's anecdotal, but I know plenty of foul-mouthed females, myself included.

Well put.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo

More
15 May 2018 14:51 #273355 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Women Gamers

ecargo wrote: My two cents:

Obviously my post wasn't up to spec, let me try again:
"I game often with women in the group and do not have any issue with female gamers, they have a brain, emotions and a foul mouth just like everyone else ..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Black Barney, ecargo

More
15 May 2018 14:58 #273356 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Women Gamers
Grace we will assign you all of the games that have floral, homemaking, and knitting themes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Black Barney, ecargo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds