October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Welcome Back - The Upgrade is Still In Progress

More
02 Jan 2019 14:59 #289090 by Disgustipater

ubarose wrote: 1440 is a relatively rare width, so I didn’t code a break point for it, so it is picking up margins for a larger screen width. I’ll add that break point as soon as I am able.

I don’t really do much web browsing on my 1440 monitor (because every webpage is a 4” strip down the middle), so I wouldn’t worry about putting too much time into that. I mentioned it only because I just used it for a comparison and TWBG seemed to handle it better than other sites.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2019 15:37 #289094 by ubarose
The new site is 100% responsive. The old site was tablebased, and wasn’t coded to account for the now common wide screen monitors.

Running a 15” laptop screen at 1920 x 1080 is kind of nuts. That’s what you use for like a 24” monitor. Everything must be super tiny on it, unless you are cranking up the zoom. For a 15” standard monitor, resolution is typically 1400x1050.

I’m really sorry but I can’t code for strange outlier personal computer settings. If I code for your personal settings, everyone who has 20” - 24” monitors will be trying to read paragraphs strung out across their screen in a single line.

I’ll do my best to find a happy medium, but no promises.

More
02 Jan 2019 16:20 #289098 by southernman

ubarose wrote: The new site is 100% responsive. The old site was tablebased, and wasn’t coded to account for the now common wide screen monitors.

Running a 15” laptop screen at 1920 x 1080 is kind of nuts. That’s what you use for like a 24” monitor. Everything must be super tiny on it, unless you are cranking up the zoom. For a 15” standard monitor, resolution is typically 1400x1050.

I’m really sorry but I can’t code for strange outlier personal computer settings. If I code for your personal settings, everyone who has 20” - 24” monitors will be trying to read paragraphs strung out across their screen in a single line.

I’ll do my best to find a happy medium, but no promises.

But I have a 22" monitor at work, where I tested today, running at high res and it looks exactly the same as my laptop - about 12.5% of whitespace on either side.

1920 x 1080 is actually the recommended res on my laptop, the text may be slightly smaller but still perfectly readable.

I'm getting the impression that I'm one of teh few not accessing the site by phone or device - showing my age :laugh: .

More
02 Jan 2019 18:41 #289117 by cdennett
I would agree that the new site has a LOT of white-space on the sides for a normal monitor resolution (1080P being quite standard).

More
02 Jan 2019 19:12 #289121 by Disgustipater

southernman wrote: I'm getting the impression that I'm one of teh few not accessing the site by phone or device - showing my age :laugh: .

Yeah, me too (though probably not the age part). I'd be perfectly happy to have text strung across the entire screen.

My older 17" laptop is also 1920x1080, with zero magnification. :shrug:

More
02 Jan 2019 19:43 #289125 by Gary Sax
Hi ubarose! In the Spirit Island thread, I tried linking to an Instagram post and it tried to do something (in line the post maybe?) But it appears to have broken... but it's also not showing the raw link either. I know you had talked about social media integration in the new forum software, thought it might be an interesting test case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
02 Jan 2019 22:10 #289139 by ubarose
The optimal reading width for paragraphs (blog, article, forum post) is 50 - 75 characters per line. For an example of optimal reading width do a Google search. The results are at optimal reading width. Compare them to the width of our paragraphs.

This is 125 characters:
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbn

This is 100 characters:
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbn

This is 75 characters:
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbn

This is 50 characters:
qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnqwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbn

With the site at 100% (no zooming) :

If your screen is 15" or greater these paragraphs should be about as wide as 1/3 of your screen and run about 75 - 100 characters including spaces. If the 100 character line wraps to a second line but the 75 character line doesn't, then I got the white space on the sides right. If only the 125 character line wraps, the site is too wide. If the 75 character line wraps, we could have a problem, give me a screen shot.

On a smaller screen, these paragraphs should be about 1/2 the width of your screen and run 50-75 characters.

On tablet they should be about 3/4 of your screen and run about 50 characters.

On mobile they should be nearly as wide as your screen with just enough margin to scroll without accidentally clicking on something.

More
02 Jan 2019 23:36 #289145 by Gary Sax
Figured my problem out, ubarose. The instagram link function in the full replies can accept the shorter links produced when you just paste in the address from your desktop... mobile instagram wants to give you a longer link that doesn't work (probably to track you).

More
02 Jan 2019 23:57 #289148 by ubarose
@gary

You don’t need the entire URL. You can just use the ID (like BsJyguWD5 or whatever) and put it between the Instagram tag. Same should be true of the YouTube tag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
03 Jan 2019 06:05 - 03 Jan 2019 13:27 #289155 by southernman
Hi Shellie

Have attached a screenshot from work on a 22" new screen at 100% browser (Chrome) resolution.
The white space on the sides is basically the same as on my 15" laptop screen but I won't be able to check the characters in teh form until I get back home.
(Hope I'm not causing the bourbon bottle level to drop drastically !)
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jan 2019 13:27 by southernman.

More
03 Jan 2019 08:37 #289163 by mads b.
Great job! There is a lot to like here.

However, I noticed two things that seems to have changed:

1. When I click on the button for new replies on my phone (which is much easier now than before, btw), I'm not taken to the first new reply but rather to the top of the page with that reply. It's not a big deal, but it used to be different and I miss that.

2. I seem to recall that if I refreshed the forum overview page, it would only show new replies in threads that had been made since the last time I visited. Right now it seems like the replies stay new until I visit the thread. Again it's not at big deal, but I liked the old way better. That way I could more easily stay out of a thread for a while and then maybe return later.

I don't know if this can be changed with the new setup. I don't know if anyone but me are interested in the changes, but I thought I'd mention it.

m

More
03 Jan 2019 09:53 #289172 by ubarose

southernman wrote: Hi Shellie

Have attached a screenshot from work on a 22" new screen at 100% browser (Chrome resolution).
The white space on the sides is basically the same as on my 15" laptop screen but I won't be able to check the characters in teh form until I get back home.
(Hope I'm not causing the bourbon bottle level to drop drastically !)

That looks perfect! You have a line width between 75-100 characters. Thank you.

More
03 Jan 2019 11:57 #289187 by ubarose
Also - If you want to check your screen resolution click on this link:

bestfirms.com/what-is-my-screen-resolution/

More
03 Jan 2019 13:25 #289193 by WadeMonnig
Getting an odd "not secure" message when hitting the site from Chrome on windows 10. Got the same message last night from my phone very late (2:00 am CST).

More
03 Jan 2019 14:42 #289201 by ubarose

WadeMonnig wrote: Getting an odd "not secure" message when hitting the site from Chrome on windows 10. Got the same message last night from my phone very late (2:00 am CST).

We moved to a dedicated IP late last night. That resulted in an insure message while the new IP propagated. The warning should go away within 24 hours. Please let me know if it goes away for you, or if you are still getting it late tonight. Also, do you get it on all pages or just some?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds