October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Member Reviews and Ratings are Back

More
18 Apr 2019 10:42 - 18 Apr 2019 14:43 #295703 by ubarose
So I just spent a days manually fixing our corrupted member rating and reviews. Don't let my work be in vain.

Go rate and comment on some Board Games .

If we don't have a game you want to rate or comment on Submit it to our directory.

Thank you.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 14:43 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2019 11:25 - 18 Apr 2019 11:31 #295705 by Colorcrayons
I went to give a game a rating, but it appears that I must attach a review of the game with my rating.

Or am I over thinking it, and I can just submit a rating without including a review?

I think the database is good, but as a user I would find it more functional to use as a comparative tool.

As a demonstrative example, I happen to notice that X reviewer has rated Wiz-War or Cosmic Encounter poorly. This is a slight against humanity, good taste, and all things holy and would, of course, deeply offend me. Since I can now see that they are merely wasting precious oxygen molecules that more worthy life forms could be otherwise utilizing to sustain themselves, I may comfortably and smugly discount their monosyllabic grunts as the ramblings of a madman, and move on.

Is such a thing possible with how you currently have the system set up, Shellie?
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 11:31 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Vysetron

More
18 Apr 2019 11:51 - 18 Apr 2019 11:59 #295709 by ubarose
@colorcrayons

Title and comments are optional. You can just rate without commenting/reviewing if you wish. But a comment or title is much appreciated.

Under the users name is a line that says how many reviews they have. Click on it to see all their reviews/ratings.

ETA: Also, I am working on allowing members to comment on individual user reviews.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 11:59 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

More
18 Apr 2019 13:52 #295716 by Gary Sax
I used to not see the utility in this because of BGG, but I've turned the corner on it pretty hard. Being able to see at a glance what the TWBG audience thinks of things would be pretty useful.

More
18 Apr 2019 14:18 #295719 by cdennett
Feature request: Could I get a way to set the rating of all games to "7 out of 10"? That would save me a lot of time, thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Legomancer, GorillaGrody, Vysetron

More
18 Apr 2019 14:25 #295721 by ubarose

cdennett wrote: Feature request: Could I get a way to set the rating of all games to "7 out of 10"? That would save me a lot of time, thanks.

Lol. Nope.

More
18 Apr 2019 14:33 - 18 Apr 2019 14:35 #295722 by ubarose

Gary Sax wrote: I used to not see the utility in this because of BGG, but I've turned the corner on it pretty hard. Being able to see at a glance what the TWBG audience thinks of things would be pretty useful.

My agenda is to encourage people to post their mini reviews where they can be found rather than bury them in that 700 page curse of “What Game are You Playing.” Don’t be shy. You all have interesting things to say, that could be super helpful to other readers.

Also maybe encourage people to comment on the game itself to start a thread. It’s a lot easier to find the game listing on the site, then to search for an old “Let’s Talk About Game x” thread in the forum.

A game’s page in the directory is essentially a hub which associates all things related to that game, making it easier to find reviews, articles and discussions about a game. But it only works if people use it.

And finally, it will eventually allow me to create pages like “Top Rated Family Games,” because folks love a list.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 14:35 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons, WadeMonnig

More
18 Apr 2019 14:41 - 18 Apr 2019 15:07 #295723 by Colorcrayons
Bug report:

The SUBMIT link in the OP doesn't currently function.

[Edit] Weird. I dunno why it wasn't working either and tried several times. But after you responded, the link works fine now. *Shrug*
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 15:07 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
18 Apr 2019 14:49 #295726 by ubarose
@Colorcrayons

I don't know why it isn't working for you.

Just use the Submissions link in the menu at the top of the site.

More
18 Apr 2019 15:19 #295730 by Sagrilarus
The Search functionality is a bit challenging the first time you come into it. I was looking for two games that are not on the list (Talon and SpaceCorp) and found myself in limbo with another game's name in the search box. I got it after I figured out how the code works, but some people on the site are old (Gary, Andy, etc.,) and can't be expected to figure out modern things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Colorcrayons

More
18 Apr 2019 15:31 #295733 by Sagrilarus
I'll just mention that there's a fair number of reviews already in there, most very short, very to-the-point. Worth having a look around.

I have 13 reviews in, and I don't recall ever entering them. I'd wager they're ten years old. So there's already stuff there to look at.

More
18 Apr 2019 15:40 #295735 by Legomancer
Uba the picture for "13 Days" is the box for "13 Minutes"

More
18 Apr 2019 15:50 - 18 Apr 2019 16:09 #295736 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: The Search functionality is a bit challenging the first time you come into it. I was looking for two games that are not on the list (Talon and SpaceCorp) and found myself in limbo with another game's name in the search box. I got it after I figured out how the code works, but some people on the site are old (Gary, Andy, etc.,) and can't be expected to figure out modern things.

Are you using the Board Game filter on the board game page, or the general search in the upper left corner of the site?

The keyword search on the board game filter just searches titles in the board game directory, and is the easiest way to find a board game.

I don't know how you would have ended up with another name in the box that you didn't type in, unless it is due to the auto-complete or spell check on your browser or device. One of the browsers, I think it is Chrome, has a very aggressive auto-complete that drives me nuts when I have to test using it.

Never mind, I just realized what you were talking about. You have to hit the clear button to start a new search. It's actually a filter not a search. So you can filter on one thing, get results, then filter that list on an additional thing, to drill down if you get too many results. To start over fresh you have to hit the "Clear All" at the top of the filter.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2019 16:09 by ubarose.

More
18 Apr 2019 15:54 #295737 by ubarose

Sagrilarus wrote: I'll just mention that there's a fair number of reviews already in there, most very short, very to-the-point. Worth having a look around.

I have 13 reviews in, and I don't recall ever entering them. I'd wager they're ten years old. So there's already stuff there to look at.

Yes, those were the ones that I had to spend so much time to salvage to get the whole system to work again. I was able to save about 300 - 400 of them, by cleaning them up manually ONE AT A FRICKIN' TIME.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, allismom3, Colorcrayons, Ah_Pook

More
18 Apr 2019 15:58 #295739 by ubarose

Legomancer wrote: Uba the picture for "13 Days" is the box for "13 Minutes"

Thanks. I'll get that fixed.

There is a button on each Board Gamer Listing for submitting corrections if anyone notices any other mistakes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds