October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

AT Database?

More
11 Feb 2008 09:57 #2379 by Deleted User 1
AT Database? was created by Deleted User 1
Are there any plans for a game database? I know you have said on numerous occassions that you are NOT a database but I would find it very useful to be able to see everyone's comments on a game in one place.

It would also be a great opportunity to get the game ratings right. The BGG database looks daunting but the great majority of it is filled with games almost no one would play.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2008 10:41 #2386 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:AT Database?
You could geekbuddy us all and use that funtion to see what Ameritrashers like and how they comment on specific games.

More
11 Feb 2008 14:25 #2408 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:AT Database?
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Are there any plans for a game database? I know you have said on numerous occassions that you are NOT a database but I would find it very useful to be able to see everyone's comments on a game in one place.

It would also be a great opportunity to get the game ratings right. The BGG database looks daunting but the great majority of it is filled with games almost no one would play.

[/i]

I just use the 'analyze' feature with Geek buddies to check what the F:A team think of certain games .... although that doesn't seem to be an option for you.

More
11 Feb 2008 14:31 #2410 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:AT Database?
Sure, it would be nice, but we'd be doing a lot of work just to reinvent the wheel.

For any of anyone's criticisms of BGG over the years, the quality of its database is NOT one of them.

More
11 Feb 2008 14:49 #2412 by Deleted User 1
Replied by Deleted User 1 on topic Re:AT Database?

The wheel is in need of repair. The ratings on BGG are totally out of date. Who takes "Puerto Rico" seriously anymore, it is nothing but a footnote in the overall scheme of gaming.

The database is bloated with bias and cat pictures. A new database would be a breath of fresh air.

More
11 Feb 2008 14:58 #2413 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:AT Database?
the*mad*gamer wrote:

The wheel is in need of repair. The ratings on BGG are totally out of date. Who takes "Puerto Rico" seriously anymore, it is nothing but a footnote in the overall scheme of gaming.

The database is bloated with bias and cat pictures. A new database would be a breath of fresh air.

who cares about the ratings anyway?

More
11 Feb 2008 15:11 #2417 by Ken B.
Pretty much if we did a database, you could duplicate the functionality of whatever we came up with by using Geekbuddies. Just geekbuddy 100 known AT fans and look at their rankings.

Again, do not underestimate how strong that database is. Yeah, there's a lot of noise, but that DB is solid, man. As a db guy myself I really admire it.

More
11 Feb 2008 15:39 #2418 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:AT Database?
Ken B. wrote:

Pretty much if we did a database, you could duplicate the functionality of whatever we came up with by using Geekbuddies. Just geekbuddy 100 known AT fans and look at their rankings.

Again, do not underestimate how strong that database is. Yeah, there's a lot of noise, but that DB is solid, man. As a db guy myself I really admire it.

[/i]

And if you don't like numbers then read the comments - I have a lot of you guys here as Geekbuddies (you even have your own little group) and always have a quick sneak at what you think (words not numbers) when checking out a game I'm interested in ... a lot of it's bullshit but always a laugh to read !

More
11 Feb 2008 15:39 #2419 by Deleted User 1
Sure it is a good database, but it could be better. But as long as you are satisfied with being #2 or #3 that's ok, but I don't think like that!

More
11 Feb 2008 15:52 #2421 by Ken B.
Well that's just it, man...to be "#2" or "#3", we'd have to be offering the same service. We're not. So the comparison isn't really valid.

Now...we are the #1 Ameritrash boardgaming website in the known universe. That's got to count for something.

More
11 Feb 2008 15:59 #2422 by Deleted User 1
You keep mentioning the Geekbudies, the BGG database. Anyone comiing to your site will have to go to BGG for a complete description of the AT game, which means you are just a "bad boy" who hasn't cut the umbilical cord to BIG MAMA BGG.

More
11 Feb 2008 16:12 #2423 by Ken B.
Well, sure...but there are plenty of offshoot websites like fans of a certain movie genre and those sites don't try to duplicate IMDB's database.

Anyway, I hear you man, and who knows where the road will take us. But I can tell you this isn't in the cards for us right now.

More
11 Feb 2008 16:16 #2424 by jur
I don't mind referring to BGG. It is a resource, just like IMDb. It doesn't imply an umbilical chord. Using it doesn't make F:ÄT any less interesting.

Furthermore, considering that this is site is high enough on maintenance already, who do you think is going to do the work in making the db? You? For free?

More
11 Feb 2008 16:42 #2427 by Deleted User 1
The IMDB is a good example. There is a great website I saw recently that was devoted to Pirate Movies. This website had a very good description and review of every Pirate Movie ever made. This website had no intention of duplicating the IMDB. A fan of Pirate movies could go there and find everything you need to know about Pirate Movies.

Just like a fan of AT games should be able to come here and find out everything they need to know about AT games. Robert Martin's essential list is not even here. So, a new fan of AT would be forced to go to BGG to get information.

More
11 Feb 2008 16:54 #2428 by jur
Must have been an immense amount of time put into that site. Now was that all one guy's work? Over how many years?

Though I can't see what we can add to a database to make it worth doing that, I think it might work doing some kind of AT canonical list and expand from there with reviews of new stuff and maybe some people filling the holes. That would make a new section to this site. We now basically have a blog/articles section and a forum, not so much of a 'core site'.

Maybe if people used stuff they already did for BGG. But it would still be a labour of love. You willing to make the first move Steve?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds