October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

AT Database?

More
11 Feb 2008 16:57 #2430 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:AT Database?
This is going to sound stupid and totally ghetto, but we could have a forum section that was nothing more than the title of a game, and then opinions/reviews/whatever inside. Sort that forum alphabetically. Don't see an AT game? Add it. If you don't have a review, start a thread to get others opinions on the game.

Even then, though, you've got to wade through the discussion to see what's what. I don't know if that helps or not.

That's totally a hack job, though. But it might help with what you're talking about, Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2008 17:10 - 11 Feb 2008 17:11 #2433 by Deleted User 1
Replied by Deleted User 1 on topic Re:AT Database?
Interesting idea. All I know is that if I were a newby that happened upon your site, I would have no idea what this site was about and what games you were talking about.

I would like to see something up front that explains who you are and show me these are your games.

I would be happy with just original F:AT member reviews (Barnes, Skeletor, etc..)and a ranking system based on their reviews of these games. People who disputed this could debate it in the forum
Last edit: 11 Feb 2008 17:11 by Deleted User 1.

More
11 Feb 2008 17:19 #2434 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:AT Database?
I think some kind of really informal thing like that is a good idea, actually. We don't have to have some really extensive database, just a listing of games with some basic info and staff opinions on each. Like Steve says, any disputes can be taken into the Forums...

More
11 Feb 2008 18:47 #2447 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:AT Database?
Rankings blow

More
11 Feb 2008 18:48 #2448 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:AT Database?
Can you have subcategories? For example, instead of "AT Database?" being a thread, could it be a folder containing threads? That would allow you to separate reviews, variants/house rules, game write-ups, etc.
Alternatively have each new thread with a predefined prefix: "rev", "var", etc.

More
11 Feb 2008 19:05 #2450 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:AT Database?
In my day I just looked at the back of the box to decide if i wanted a game or not.

More
11 Feb 2008 20:09 #2452 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:AT Database?
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Rankings blow

I agree.

As soon as you have rankings, then you have endless discussions about statistical methods, shilling, anti-shilling, who paid for the game and who didn't, the nature of bias and objectivity, whether an off-hand joke about a game is equivalent to commercial sabotage, and coprophagy. In other words, all discussion will be about the site itself. We won't be talking about games, anymore. The other site jumped that shark, already. If F:At is going to jump a shark, it should at least find a new one to jump.

I agree with Steve, though, that it's hard for a casual browser to understand what this site is about. Right now, you sort of have to be a refugee from BGG to join this party.

More
11 Feb 2008 20:21 #2454 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re:AT Database?
1) I think Steve is on to something regarding non-BGG veterans finding this site. There needs to be some sort of a way to orient people to what this site is about a bit more.

2) Rankings may not be useful--but separate folders about each game--with reviews may be helpful --- far more than separate folders on new AT games and old AT games. The danger in that approach is dispersing discussion for such a relatively small community in a way that no larger discussions can happen. As it is now, I just go to the "all discussions" tab to see what's current rather than the folders. But as the site matures---separate folders would be helpful so that useful past discussions wouldn't be essentially lost (as threads are often now on BGG and other sites)

3) I'm not a tech guy--but I know that there's various ways to put things into the site guaranteeing that certain key words will be picked up by google in any searches. Doing that for key Fantasy Flight Games or any other the key "canon" AT games would help draw people here.

More
11 Feb 2008 21:07 #2459 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:AT Database?
A good alternative would be doing something like the consimworld.com forums. It's nothing more than a thread per game, and it seems to work well enough.

More
11 Feb 2008 21:14 #2461 by Merkles
Replied by Merkles on topic Re:AT Database?
Consimworld wouldn't be my model. I know people who have been there forever are comfortable with it...but unless you've followed a thread from the beginning of the discussion, it often gets so long and so bogged down that finding information that you're looking for is impossible.

A variety of threads under a larger heading folder for a game might be better.

More
11 Feb 2008 22:25 #2466 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:AT Database?
I think I finally see where this discussion is going...even though we have moved away from trying to be the "anti-BGG", there's still the matter of how right now you do sort of have to come through the funnel of BGG to get to this place and have any sort of context on what's going on.

In the middle of preaching to the choir, we've left the congregation behind.

Let us talk it over to figure out how it can be done. I'm OK with cribbing the thread idea for games. The one thing I don't want is for us to get mired in "THAT DOESN'T BELONG ON THIS SITE!" or something like that or petty bickering over gamer opinions.

We are in the process of scheduling more game reviews, so look for that part of our content to increase. That should help.

I guess that's why the "Modern" and "Classic" AT buckets aren't seeing too much use...too broad, without focus.

Good ideas, we'll see where it goes from here. Thanks for the feedback, everybody...personally, I appreciate it.

More
12 Feb 2008 05:31 - 12 Feb 2008 05:35 #2476 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:AT Database?
vialiy wrote:

A good alternative would be doing something like the consimworld.com forums. It's nothing more than a thread per game, and it seems to work well enough.

&

Merkles wrote:

A variety of threads under a larger heading folder for a game might be better.

I think this would be a solution: Use the Consimworld structure and add another layer for each game. For example: "Commentary", "Rules" and "General Discussion".
Last edit: 12 Feb 2008 05:35 by Schweig!.

More
12 Feb 2008 06:28 - 12 Feb 2008 06:29 #2481 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:AT Database?
How about:

Alphabetical Index Page, linked to -> All games starting with that letter page, linked to -> Game Homepage, containing:
  • basic information.
  • a rating (sucks, OK, great) from registered F:A users.
  • links to any other info on F:A about it (reviews, discussions, photos).
  • any external links.
  • Last edit: 12 Feb 2008 06:29 by southernman.

More
    12 Feb 2008 13:37 #2531 by mikelawson
    Replied by mikelawson on topic Re:AT Database?
    Southernman wrote:

How about:

Alphabetical Index Page, linked to -> All games starting with that letter page, linked to -> Game Homepage, containing:

• basic information.
  • a rating (sucks, OK, great) from registered F:A users.
  • links to any other info on F:A about it (reviews, discussions, photos).
  • any external links.

• So long as people don't bitch about some of the external links, I like it. CSW's forums are great, but man they're a bitch to hunt through.

--Mike L.

More
    12 Feb 2008 13:49 #2532 by jur
    Replied by jur on topic Re:AT Database?
    no ratings! If you got something to say, put it in the comments.

Moderators: Gary Sax
    Time to create page: 0.197 seconds