October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

the default color scheme is made of ass

More
14 Jan 2008 20:07 #673 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

I took your advice. I admit it, I do a fair amount of surfing at work, and it's harder to get away with it with this site's standard color scheme. So now I'm looking at mostly black text on a white screen, with some text in blue or purple when it relates to a link or command. I may need to switch back while using certain legit websites that relate to my job.[/quote]

I have to confess, my browser at work is set to mimic my work screens (dark blue background with white text), so if someone glances over, it looks like I'm working. Hee. Hee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2008 22:31 #687 by Ken B.
I think Matt has softened the white already, it seems to help. Gray text might be best but as we found out during the period leading up to launch, changing templates can have...unexpected results elsewhere.

More
15 Jan 2008 00:23 #699 by NtheBuff
Ken B. wrote:

I think Matt has softened the white already, it seems to help. Gray text might be best but as we found out during the period leading up to launch, changing templates can have...unexpected results elsewhere.

Thanks for listening, great site anyhow.

More
15 Jan 2008 11:50 #739 by jeb
Ken B. wrote:

It looks better today--not sure if it's my local font tweak or the lightening you mention, but it's working out. Thanks!

More
16 Jan 2008 23:51 #896 by grimstuff
I agree its horrible. There's so much black (maybe due to my widescreen monitor) and so little anything else. My eyes are killing me. Its seriously affecting my websurfing enjoyment. I'll go back to BGG just to relieve me eyes and feed my crack addiction, but then the 'tards get to me after a while and I come back here. An endless cycle of pain and annoyance.

More
17 Jan 2008 00:21 #897 by Mr Skeletor
This site got put together by Uba with assistence from Matt in just over a week, so they are pretty exhausted and a bit sick of it at the moment. As Ken pointed out coloring shit was one of the biggest headaches.

Anyway give em bit of a rest and then I'll gently nudge them about doing something about making this place more occular friendly for you guys. Unless they are reading this and tell me to do it my fucking self.

More
17 Jan 2008 04:37 #908 by Schweig!
Use blue. This'll make you calm down.

More
17 Jan 2008 11:11 #939 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

This site got put together by Uba with assistence from Matt in just over a week, so they are pretty exhausted and a bit sick of it at the moment. As Ken pointed out coloring shit was one of the biggest headaches.

Anyway give em bit of a rest and then I'll gently nudge them about doing something about making this place more occular friendly for you guys. Unless they are reading this and tell me to do it my fucking self.

Do it your fucking self!

Just kidding. Matt, Ken, Mr. S and I got this site up in about two weeks. During that time I was recovering from a concussion, and Matt's babies were sick. Trying to work with each other in four different time zones was kind of a trip.

We decided to go with this layout for two reasons.

One is that it is funny. It's a visual tongue in cheek, just like the term "Ameritrash." People are always saying that us Trashers have the maturity and tastes of a bunch of 15 year old boys, so we put up a site that looks like it was designed by a bunch of 15 year old boys. We figured that most of our regular blog readers would get the joke and laugh, and then we would change the lay out.

Secondly, we wanted to make sure all the more complex bits worked, and get any of those kinks worked out. Therefore we went with the simplest, built in templates and graphics. If something didn't work correctly, we wanted to know that it was one of the apps, not our custom coding for graphics or lay out.

We are working on a custom layout, that still gets across a little visual humor, but also has a more sophisticated color pallet and better navigation. If you ever stop by here late at night and see "This site is down for maintenance," or the whole site keeps flashing and looks like someone puked up fruit salad on it, that's us testing the layout.

We also figured that there was only 40 of you all reading the blog, and that you were all pretty cool people with good senses of humor. And everyone seemed very supportive of the idea of a new site when we discussed it on the blog. People were contacting us offering us money to do it for god sake. We figured, that if people were willing to contribute money to the site, they certainly would be willing to contribute a little testing help instead, and that they would have some patience with getting the site up and running. We didn't expect 100 members to sign up in the first day. We didn't expect to have nearly 200 members within the first week. Crap! What we expected would be a little cooperative barn raising party with about 40 friends, has gotten much bigger, much faster than I ever expected.

Anyway, we now know that Fortress: Ameritrash is bigger than we thought. We have a some cool ideas, new layouts and plans in the works for the site. Just hang in there. A second printing and a couple of expansions are on the boat.

More
17 Jan 2008 11:47 #944 by Ken B.
Amen, uba.

I expected us to grow, but MAN I didn't expect so much. To give you a bit of perspective, let's look at how we used to do things.

So we'd put an article out there and get a few comments, think maybe no one was interested, and get a bit discouraged. In the case of Kevin Wilson's interview, there were only 11 comments. But now I can look at our page counts and see that the interview was read well over one-thousand times.

Yes, this sort of thing motivates us.

Uba, you're going to blow your "Bimbo" cover if you keep talking about how much work you put into this site...

More
17 Jan 2008 12:50 #964 by Druen Kree
Umm I guess I have super mutant vision cause I have no problem seeing text .Or I am not super freaking anal about the colors of web sites.

More
17 Jan 2008 13:27 #968 by ubarose
Ken B. wrote:

Uba, you're going to blow your "Bimbo" cover if you keep talking about how much work you put into this site...

I'm just the spokesbimbo for the team. Plus, I'm home sick and I'm bored.

My job was to be awake for a couple of hours at the same time as Matt was awake, and then take a nap and be awake for a couple of hours at the same time as Ken, and then take a nap and be awake at the same time as Mr. S. That way the right hand could know what the left hand was doing so to speak.

More
17 Jan 2008 13:31 #969 by ubarose
Druen Kree wrote:

Umm I guess I have super mutant vision cause I have no problem seeing text .Or I am not super freaking anal about the colors of web sites.

Hee.Hee. You are probably also the kind of person who just puts a heavy book on a warped board or house rules a misprint on a card. We forgot about all the possible readers that assume the fetal position when a box is a bit sticky to open.

More
17 Jan 2008 15:51 #996 by Notahandle
Well I have to confess that whilst I have no problems reading the forum stuff (small doses), I haven't attempted to read any of the articles (more time, more concentration). On the old site I'd click on Post a Comment then Show Original Post to reverse the colour scheme and get dark on light. You can't do that here.

(Please fix the Previous/Next links while you're at it.)

More
17 Jan 2008 17:23 #1004 by Mr Skeletor

We are working on a custom layout, that still gets across a little visual humor, but also has a more sophisticated color pallet and better navigation. If you ever stop by here late at night and see "This site is down for maintenance," or the whole site keeps flashing and looks like someone puked up fruit salad on it, that's us testing the layout.

I thouight that was just us copying BGG.

More
17 Jan 2008 20:01 #1028 by Merkles
Ken and Uba,

Even if some stuff still needs to be done---thanks for the work! It is appreciated.

Paul

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds