October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Voting (thumbs) on Comments

More
22 Mar 2008 11:29 #4351 by ubarose
Sometimes you read a comment and and think "I agree" or "good comment" or "that's exactly what I was thinking." You want to express that, but know that it is lame to have a comment that just says "Yeah. Me too," or "Good comment." Or maybe you are just lazy.

And, of course, sometimes you want to say, "I disagree, but not strongly enough to start a debate."

You can now express yourself with voting thumbs. Clicking on a thumb-up or thumb-down button at the bottom of a comment will increase the display counter. It doesn't do anything else. Thumbs don't accumulate to the poster's profile, or collapse comments, or put comments into a some hot list. It just increments the counter.

I am taking a leap of faith that everyone here will use this feature in the spirit in which it is intended. If it starts causing problems (technical or human) I'll yank it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2008 19:01 #4353 by Mr Skeletor
What?

More
22 Mar 2008 19:52 #4354 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Voting (thumbs) on Comments
you forgot to add: fun is the legal property of Fantasy Flight Games

More
24 Mar 2008 01:34 #4365 by daveroswell
Uba,

I was gonna thumb this, but I see I can't.

More
24 Mar 2008 09:29 - 24 Mar 2008 09:30 #4368 by ChristopherMD
I disagree, but not strongly enough to start a debate.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2008 09:30 by ChristopherMD.

More
24 Mar 2008 11:04 #4369 by ubarose
daveroswell wrote:

Uba,

I was gonna thumb this, but I see I can't.

Correct. It isn't in the forums. It is only on article comments. If anyone is interested in my reasoning behind this choice, I'll share my thoughts with you when I get home from work tonight. Otherwise, I won't bore you with the details.

More
24 Mar 2008 14:29 #4373 by daveroswell
ACtually, it makes perfect sense to me; hopefully it'll give a little more of a cyber pat on the back for the article writers.

More
24 Mar 2008 17:29 #4379 by Shellhead
I think thumb ratings are too elegant. I would rather see people post enthusiastic remarks like "Hell YEAH!"

More
24 Mar 2008 19:33 #4381 by ubarose
Shellhead wrote:

I think thumb ratings are too elegant. I would rather see people post enthusiastic remarks like "Hell YEAH!"

So would I. However, we have far, far more lurkers and occasional readers than active members. Some of the readers have expressed to me that, although they would like to participate, they feel intimidated by F:AT's Take No Prisoners attitude combined with our sometimes intelligent debate. The voting/thumbs is a way for them to participate. Sort of like "Spirits, make your self known! Knock three time on the table, or click a thumb."

More
24 Mar 2008 19:54 #4382 by BigLizard
ubarose wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

So would I. However, we have far, far more lurkers and occasional readers than active members. Some of the readers have expressed to me that, although they would like to participate, they feel intimidated by F:AT's Take No Prisoners attitude combined with our sometimes intelligent debate. The voting/thumbs is a way for them to participate. Sort of like "Spirits, make your self known! Knock three time on the table, or click a thumb."

But you do realize that only registered lurkers and readers can thumb. Which makes sense in that the general web riff raff can't go crazy. It just seems a little oxymoronic to have "registered lurkers".

BillN

More
24 Mar 2008 21:12 #4383 by ubarose
BigLizard wrote:

It just seems a little oxymoronic to have "registered lurkers".

BillN

What do you call registered members who have never posted in the forums or commented on an article, but still visit F:AT on a semi regular basis to read the articles? If you have a term that you prefer to lurker, I will use it in the future.

More
24 Mar 2008 22:31 #4384 by BigLizard
ubarose wrote:

BigLizard wrote:

BillN

What do you call registered members who have never posted in the forums or commented on an article, but still visit F:AT on a semi regular basis to read the articles? If you have a term that you prefer to lurker, I will use it in the future.

[/i]

Lol. Okay, you've caught me. The only things I could think of is ghosts, spectres, or spooks because you can kinda see them (if you look in the member registry) but they don't really speak (apparently they just moan at the staff). But since no one but me would know what that means I bow to your choice. I'll just sit in my corner and chuckle maniacally to myself over the oxymoronicacy of it all :-)

-- BillN

More
24 Mar 2008 22:52 #4387 by ubarose
I like ghosts. So ghosts and lurkers. LOL

More
25 Mar 2008 11:17 #4390 by mikelawson
Hey, no spooks here. Don't want the CIA sniffing around or anything.

--Mike L.

More
25 Mar 2008 11:28 #4391 by ChristopherMD
BigLizard wrote:

BillN

All lurkers are registered. That's how they become lurkers. They sign up and lurk instead of participating. People who don't sign up and just read are commonly called visitors or guests.

I M l33t

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds