October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2684 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Seeking Help and Input and Bugs.

More
09 Apr 2008 08:31 - 09 Apr 2008 08:38 #4844 by ubarose
  1. People who are interested in having input into the future look of the site, please go to here . This will be an ongoing, in-depth discussion which I felt is better handled in the blog. All entries related to this discussion can be tagged as template, including those of members who end up participating in the future design tasks.

2. I believe that everyone can now at least post in the forum. However, if you are locked out and have no way of communicating with me to let me know, you can always contact me using my @fortressat.com email address. Just put my user name on the front of that. (I'm not spelling out my email, because I don't want it picked up by bots)

3. My current priority is to finish finding and fixing all the IE6 issues regarding input boxes and non-functioning or missing buttons. I'll get to the little stuff like text being link colored in the forum tables after the big stuff is fixed.

4. Things may change and move over the next week, and may sometimes not look perfect. To work out some low impact layout problems, I have to actually put the yuck up to see them. These are all issues that should have no impact on functionality. It's stuff like columns being the wrong width on some pages.

5. If you notice a bug, especially one that impacts functionality, please reply to this thread with a description of the problem
Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 08:38 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2008 17:15 - 09 Apr 2008 17:19 #4860 by PseudoIntellectual
I can't send Private Messages using IE. I haven't tried it with Firefox.

*EDIT After reading the IE6 thread, I guess you already know about that...
Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 17:19 by PseudoIntellectual.

More
09 Apr 2008 17:37 #4861 by ubarose
I'm working on the IE6 problems right now. Unfortunately, when I fix the PM system for IE6, the forum breaks for IE6, and when I fix the forum the PM system breaks.

More
09 Apr 2008 18:10 #4862 by PseudoIntellectual
I didn't mean to badger, I have worked on boards (a little) and completely sympathize with how hideously grueling the work that goes on behind the scenes can be. I normally use firefox anyway.

More
09 Apr 2008 18:20 - 09 Apr 2008 18:23 #4863 by ubarose
PseudoIntellectual wrote:

I didn't mean to badger, I have worked on boards (a little) and completely sympathize with how hideously grueling the work that goes on behind the scenes can be. I normally use firefox anyway.

I didn't feel like you were badgering. I hope I didn't sound annoyed. I just wanted you to know what was happening, in case things seemed like they were breaking, and then were okay, and then were broken again. It's just me uploading files and pulling them back out again.

Also, you now get to be my new PM test partner. My other identified IE6 user needs a break from my test PMs.

Also, the information that you posted was exactly the kind of bugs people should post about here. So, thanks.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2008 18:23 by ubarose.

More
09 Apr 2008 21:25 #4866 by ubarose
PseudoIntellectual wrote:

I can't send Private Messages using IE. I haven't tried it with Firefox.

*EDIT After reading the IE6 thread, I guess you already know about that...

Try it now.

More
10 Apr 2008 08:07 #4873 by schlupp
It seems that the hyperlink function is not working. The Hyperlink stops in the middle and you have to copy & paste the link to see it. I have seen it at least twice in the forum. Any idea?

E.g.: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29#External_links

More
10 Apr 2008 16:47 - 10 Apr 2008 16:51 #4878 by ubarose
Good eye, but it isn't a bug. It's just the way this type of forum works.

You have to use BBC code tags to get it to work correctly. That's the button that says URL at the top of the forum input box.

You can do this:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29#External_links[/url]

Which will show up as this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29#External_links .

Or you can do this:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_%28game%29#External_links]Wikipedia Article[/url]

Which will show up like this:

Wikipedia Article
Last edit: 10 Apr 2008 16:51 by ubarose.

More
11 Apr 2008 06:26 #4898 by schlupp
Thanks, I even know and use that code normally. It just seemed odd, that the link would stop in the middle. I'll use [url] function in the future.

More
11 Apr 2008 08:47 #4904 by ubarose
Schlupp wrote:

Thanks, I even know and use that code normally. It just seemed odd, that the link would stop in the middle. I'll use [url] function in the future.

Stopping in the middle is caused by your browser. Anything on a site without a tag is at the mercy of what ever translation is coded into the browser. Browsers have simple link recognition. Most recognize http:// and every thing that follows up to a certain point as a link. What the different browsers use as an indication of the end of the link and the start of text depends upon the browser.

More
23 Apr 2008 12:19 #5294 by Thaadd
Not sure if this is noted elsewhere, but the size of text seems not to work - That is, trying to make text small or big...

More
23 Apr 2008 20:44 #5317 by ubarose
The BBC code for the size of text and the size of images doesn't work in the forums. I have a couple more forum patches that have to be installed. One of them claims to fix the size of text problem.

More
05 Jun 2008 14:35 #7454 by Citadel
I have a minor bug that only happens rarely and might just be my computer. I am using IE7. Fortess: Ameritrash sometimes keep opening new tab after new tab that say Fortress: Ameritrash in the title bar and about:blank in the address bar. I have to shut IE down and restart it. I only see it happening on FA.

Also, I have noticed the labelling of read and unread posts seems a bit funny at the moment. That may just be me leaving FA pages open in the background while I am doing other things.

Anyone else seen these things happening?

More
05 Jun 2008 15:20 #7457 by ubarose
Can you tell me what you were doing when all the tabs open? I haven't seen it happen on any of the IE7 machines that I use so I'll have to try to figure it out by what you can tell me.

How the posts get marked as NEW is a bit quirky. Essentially, posts that get posted when you aren't in the forum get marked as NEW until you either read them, or until you leave. SO NEW means new since your last visit, but posts that get posted while you are visiting won't get marked as NEW. Also there is some issues syncing your session on F:AT your session on Fireboard. So sometimes when you are on a page other than the forum, the forum sees your session, but sometimes it doesn't. So if you were on the Front Page, for example, sometimes the forum sees that as being at the forum and sometimes it doesn't. Does that make sense? Bottom line, is that the NEW indicators are pretty much only accurate when you first arrive in the forum. And they don't show you what you haven't read. They just show you what has been posted since your last visit.

More
06 Jun 2008 12:29 #7491 by Citadel
I wish I could say what causes the tabs opening. I do tend to open everything in a new tab and I am guessing that this is when they start opening. It only happens about once every two weeks so it is not common at all. My computer is ancient and not well treated. If noone else is seeing it, I think it will just another thing to add to the list of things that are wrong with my computer.

I think I understand what you are saying about how the new posts marking works.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds