October 09, 2023
2480 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Best Movies of 2014

More
17 Feb 2015 14:40 #197862 by Black Barney

This year I thought I’d try to jump the gun on Oscar and release my best movies of the year article before the Academy Awards are announced. It always feels a little cheap when my number one movie of the year happens to land the Best Picture golden statue.

2014 was a decent year for movies. I saw some excellent films, very few bad ones and the ones that I would say are mediocre were far better than the mediocrity of past years.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2015 15:41 #197863 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Best Movies of 2014
This showed up on my facebook feed and I was wondering who the heck P****** S******* was.

Now I know. Thanks for the list I haven't seen most of them so I didn't read them but thanks nonetheless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
17 Feb 2015 16:01 - 17 Feb 2015 17:11 #197868 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Best Movies of 2014
Mabuse! The whole point is that you read the descriptions of the ones you didn't yet see to see if it interests you, then you seek those ones out :)

They are spoiler-free descriptions so you won't read anything you don't want to know

edit: I wonder how far GL will get into this article before he stops reading this year. If I can get 10% of the article read this year, I'll break last year's record.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2015 17:11 by Black Barney.

More
17 Feb 2015 16:36 #197875 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Best Movies of 2014
My movie of 2014 is Nightcrawler, no doubt.

I also really enjoyed Interstellar.

I have not seen Boyhood yet.

More
17 Feb 2015 18:16 #197883 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Best Movies of 2014
From what I saw, in no particular order, these were all great...

Whiplash
Birdman
LEGO Movie
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar

Plan to see Boyhood and Selma soon.

More
17 Feb 2015 22:01 #197892 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Best Movies of 2014
10. Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow - Really? It was ok but I actually started to bored of it about pretty quickly I guess that's the problem with a ground hog day type movie. I'd put Big Hero 6, Winter Soldier and Dragon 2 above it.

More
17 Feb 2015 22:41 #197901 by Green Lantern
Replied by Green Lantern on topic Best Movies of 2014
Barney liked Guardians of the Galaxy? Sweet, you got some points back for that chap. Not enough for crapping on Man of Steel but still, it's something. And we agree on Pitt's jarring appearance in 12 Years a Slave.

Gotta disagree on Snowpiercer though. That movie bored my to tears and only made me confused.

More
18 Feb 2015 01:01 #197904 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Best Movies of 2014
BB I am a stickler when it comes to information about movies. I don't watch trailers, avoid threads about films I haven't seen and while at the movie theatre I will plug my ears, close my eyes and hum until the feature starts.

Just give film recommendations (titles only), and I am all over it. Your list served my cinephiia perfectly. :)

Snowpiercer, though? Nooooope. Didn't dig it at all

More
18 Feb 2015 09:36 #197916 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Best Movies of 2014
Mabuse, my buddy Jim is like that. i can't even discuss movie trailers with him if he hasn't seen the movie. I try to give spoiler-free descriptives cuz I don't want to ruin the experience, I want you as blown-away surprised as I was. If ever there is a movie I recoimmend that you have no intention of seeing, read what I write on it and see if I'm staying high-level enough for ya. Anyway, let me know which movies you end up seeing from the list and what you think.

Shellie, yeah I loved Edge of Tomorrow, it actually took the place of Dragon 2 which was my original number 10. I found it was able to handle the Groundhog day stuff without feeling as repetitive, they really made it feel more like a video game, which was cool. Cruise's approach was always fresh. Also instead of just doing the exact same scenes over and over (which is how previous iterations of this genre have done it), they had new scenes where you know he's done it before but his 28th time doing it is your first time seeing him do it. That was a really cool idea. I don't need to see Ned Ryerson saying BING everytime the day starts new.

Grud, i think I might see Boyhood a 2nd time in theatres myself. It's still playing. Let me know how it grabs you when you get around to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
18 Feb 2015 09:42 #197917 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Best Movies of 2014
Since I don't go to the movies anymore (blame parenthood), I've only seen Dragon 2 (dvd) and Guardians of the Galaxy (ok, it was a theater, but on a Disney Cruise ship, so just 30 seconds from my room, once the kids were sleeping - also got to see BH6). However I've watched maybe 100 movies since September when I finally got a dvr, some surprisingly recent ones too (2012), so we'll see in a couple of years. I'll get to see the Lego Movie at some point soon anyways 'cause I got it for my nephews at Christmas (with Dragon).

Good article Barney, if a bit recycled from your 5 second reviews.

More
18 Feb 2015 19:35 #197952 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Best Movies of 2014

Black Barney wrote: Grud, i think I might see Boyhood a 2nd time in theatres myself. It's still playing. Let me know how it grabs you when you get around to it.

Watched it last night and this afternoon. An interesting experience, and some great insights here and there, but not something that I'd be eager to watch again. Didn't hold up that well over the three hours, I thought. And I suppose that's fitting for being an extended home movie/character study... real life is going to drag at times. The first half was quite poignant, and the end was also solid, but it kind of lost hold for a good while there. As a unique film experience, I definitely appreciated it, and I thought Ethan Hawke in particular was great, but as entertainment, not nearly as good as Birdman or Whiplash for me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds