October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnestorming- Introducing the Review Corner, XCOM in Review, Wario Land 3, Berserk, Brian Eno

More
17 Apr 2015 12:23 #200981 by Sevej
I found XCOM to be repetitive after several plays, even with all the variations. Really, the time pressure allows no enjoyment on the small changes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2015 12:44 #200983 by SebastianBludd

charlest wrote:

charlieturtle wrote: In the MM Review Corner, will you ever have multiple reviewers reviewing the same game?

Possibly. I think our goal initially is to cover a lot of different material so that everyone can find something that interests them.

I'd be completely for multiple reviews on the same title, especially if we can find a reviewer that likes the game and a reviewer that dislikes it.

I would be very interested in reading a roundtable discussion where you guys weigh in on controversial/"important" games, or maybe you discuss a particular trend that you all have a strong opinion on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Rafael Silva, charlest

More
17 Apr 2015 17:38 - 17 Apr 2015 17:40 #201003 by Dan Thurot
Look, I know you guys are going to miss my contributions here now that I'm doing a monthly article at the Review Corner, but I promise to weigh in just as often as I always have. You can count on it.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2015 17:40 by Dan Thurot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy, SuperflyPete, charlest, wesbaker

More
17 Apr 2015 18:41 #201004 by OldHippy

Dan Thurot wrote: Look, I know you guys are going to miss my contributions here now that I'm doing a monthly article at the Review Corner, but I promise to weigh in just as often as I always have. You can count on it.

See guys, this new site has already DOUBLED Dan's contributions!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, Dan Thurot, Pugnax555

More
17 Apr 2015 21:07 #201010 by SuperflyPete

More
18 Apr 2015 23:30 #201047 by hotseatgames
Just watched Berserk. It was pretty cool... I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait for part 2. I saw the original series years ago. It was crazy, and it looks like this one will be just as crazy, but much shorter.

More
19 Apr 2015 21:25 #201066 by SuperflyPete
Question,sort of related to the discussion of late:

There's 4 Barnestorming article, and one Bolt Thrower article, and one Barney film review up on the front page. Nothing simce the 13th. Did all the regular writers here dip out (unrelated to the MM thing) and quit writing like Ken did?

More
19 Apr 2015 21:37 #201068 by Chapel

JonJacob wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: ... and not be distracted by the noise of FAT?

The reviews are nice and all... but aren't most of us here for the "noise"?

It'll be fine.

Good luck and all that guys, I'll check it out from time to time.

They post reviews here?

So, what does people think of the new SW spinoff Rogue One?

More
20 Apr 2015 08:43 #201078 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote: Question,sort of related to the discussion of late:

There's 4 Barnestorming article, and one Bolt Thrower article, and one Barney film review up on the front page. Nothing simce the 13th. Did all the regular writers here dip out (unrelated to the MM thing) and quit writing like Ken did?

I was only a regular writer for a couple of months but I had to change up my format to posting around once a month or so due to too much other stuff going on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
20 Apr 2015 10:56 #201097 by SuperflyPete
Seems to me, then, that the problem isn't that the writers have fled the scene to make buku bucks (LMAO) at Miniature Market, it's more that there's just few F:AT writers left who want to, or have time to, write for the Fort. It's a shame. I'm looking at the front page and the dates on the articles, and it's really only two voices - Matt and Mike - and despite me liking both of their writing styles (and the fact they are so different), I want to hear new voices and I'd REALLY like to see the Fort get to the point that a new article is up every single day, be it a blog post, article, Repoman's reports, Sag's pontifications, whatever. Just something interesting to read when I go out and have a smoke break. Not having front page content that's always new is a big problem and will probably hurt site attendance.

TL;DR: FATTIES! GET ON THIS! WRITE SOMETHING! SUBMIT BLOGS AND ARTICLES! WHAT YOU SAY ~~~MATTERS~~~~ TO US!

I like reading JonJacob's continual apologism-slash-contrarianism. I like Stoic's sense of humor. I like Legomancer's dry wit. This place needs to become a central clearinghouse of Ameritrash ideas!
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlieturtle

More
20 Apr 2015 11:02 #201099 by hotseatgames
Perhaps I'll start a 12 part expose on the life of SuperflyTNT. His hopes, his fears, his addiction to Shawn Cassidy posters.

More
20 Apr 2015 11:09 - 20 Apr 2015 11:10 #201101 by SuperflyPete
You should totally do that. If you talk about Shawn, I'll END YOU lmao

(Who the fuck is that, anyhow?)
Last edit: 20 Apr 2015 11:10 by SuperflyPete.

More
20 Apr 2015 18:14 #201138 by Michael Barnes
It's true, Pete and I had a summit meeting in the wilds of Gwinnett. I don't go out to meet a lot of folks because I'm a notorious hermit (and I never seem to be in synch with others' schedules), but I'm glad I did. Pete is one of the most affable, easy to get along with folks I've met and I had a great time just shooting the shit with him. Not literally, contrary to what you might think he did not pull up in a monster truck with a gun rack in the back. He's a genuinely kind, nice guy that is more likely to give you the benefit of a doubt than he is to punch you in the face. If he live here in GA, we'd definitely be tight, I think.

As for F:AT, the truth of the matter is, like I have said for years, that if writers do not have an incentive to continue writing...they stop. Doing it for the kids or whatever only goes so far. This is why sites like F:AT tend to have a boom period and then fade away because everybody either drifts off or realizes that they can actually get paid to do what they do elsewhere. F:AT has been through a couple of these periods and is still here because there is such a strong sense of community. Not because of the "staff writers"...which at this point are like, me and Matt when he's not off writing his hoity-toity articles for the Guardian and driving around the English countryside in his solid gold Land Rover that his pro writing has earned him.

I hate to say it like this, but too bad if you don't like that myself or others are writing for a paid gig elsewhere. Unless you're going to put up some bucks to pay to have the articles exclusive to F:AT, then I'm going to put them where I can earn some extra money for my family.

Mark- good news, all three of the first Berserk movies are already out, only the first on is on Netflix. You can buy a (ahem) Malaysian DVD with all three on it for like $15.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds