October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2650 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnestorming- Seekers of a Hidden Light in Review, Evolution in Review, Splatoon

More
04 Jun 2015 13:20 #203391 by Michael Barnes

Here's a DOUBLE FEATURE since last week's wouldn't post.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2015 14:25 #203392 by hotseatgames
I'm sure I'll get Splatoon at some point. I feel like I should wait for Nintendo to make it a more complete package, once their free DLC is added and they patch it a few times.

If it had 4 player split it probably would already be on my shelf.

More
04 Jun 2015 15:13 #203396 by Michael Barnes
They already added a new level, ranked mode and the NES Zapper. And there's apparently more coming soon. I think there's easily $60 worth of game there already, I'm not even close to finishing single player and I'm only at level 9- haven't gotten into the Ranked games, which apparently are MUCH more tactical and focused on roles/weapons use.

I managed to get one of the Amiibo three packs so I have the challenge levels from those to go through as well. For about 30 minutes last Friday, I was an Amiibo tycoon. I happened to be in Target Friday morning and they had just put out the exclusive Jigglypuffs and the Splatoon stuff. I missed the wave 4 stock, which was apparently all bought by one person, so I didn't get the stupidly expensive on eBay Lucina. But I did get...er...a number of Jigglypuffs. . I had a couple of the Splatoon three-packs. I scapled, I ain't ashamed...I flipped them all within MINUTES of posting them on eBay, $20 profit per. Right into the family vacation pot.

Don't wait too long...the Japanese are pretty much all already at level 20! Apparently it's selling really well there, doubled Wii U sales. Great news.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
04 Jun 2015 15:21 #203398 by Shellhead
New York City had a great music scene in the mid-'70s. Television, Blondie, Talking Heads, Richard Hell, Patti Smith, the Ramones, Afrika Bambaataa. And disco, I suppose. And the city itself had this intense image of civilization on the brink. Times Square was unbelievably squalid, and there were gangs, freaks, punks, uncloseted homosexuals. Think Taxi Driver and The Warriors mashed together, with daily mayhem and the city going bankrupt and then sanitation workers going on strike, leaving piles of garbage everywhere.

More
04 Jun 2015 15:38 #203401 by Black Barney

More
04 Jun 2015 18:55 #203411 by Grudunza
Ah, I think you hit on why I haven't been eager to watch Mad Men after more or less enjoying the first few episodes; I loved everything involving the ad creation and the office dynamics, but didn't care too much for the characters beyond that.

More
04 Jun 2015 19:32 #203415 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, there's a lot of really compelling stuff about what they do, how they work and how all of that reflects the culture of the time. Very fascinating material, especially since the show goes through the late 50s and through the 60s. All of the graphic design, copywriting, negotiation...good stuff!

But then it starts to get into the soapy adult sex drama junk...and all this stuff with Don's ex-wife, boring as hell...their outside lives have ZERO interest for me. Which is kind of strange, because I really don't care for office drama junk either. But because of those cultural elements, that part is interesting to me.

I still think Jon Hamm would have been a great Batman/Bruce Wayne.

More
04 Jun 2015 21:07 - 04 Jun 2015 21:08 #203417 by mikecl
Their boring outside lives are an important part of the whole mosaic this show weaves. The more episodes you watch, the more you'll see that. Don is a product of his times personally as well as professionally (and it goes well beyond the drinking and the whoring). The show is a brilliant rendition of its period. It's a little Seinfeldesque in the sense it seems to be a show about nothing or very little. There's never anything too dramatic going on (with some exceptions like an office suicide) but when you finish watching an episode, it leaves you with some human bit that makes you think, geez that was brilliant. It takes a few shows before the tapestry it weaves starts working on you, but this show is far more than the sum of its parts. If you give it time, you'll find it's Breaking Bad good.
Last edit: 04 Jun 2015 21:08 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
04 Jun 2015 22:42 #203419 by Gary Sax

More
04 Jun 2015 23:41 #203421 by Shellhead
The first season of Mad Men was enough for me. I agree that the ad-related work was interesting, but the non-office stuff was excessively soapy.

This is the Mad Men show that I would rather watch:

More
05 Jun 2015 00:12 #203422 by mikecl

Shellhead wrote: The first season of Mad Men was enough for me. I agree that the ad-related work was interesting, but the non-office stuff was excessively soapy.

This is the Mad Men show that I would rather watch:

I'm an ass man myself.

More
05 Jun 2015 02:04 #203424 by Not Sure
Mad Men is just "bad things happen to bad people".

The twist is, everyone is a bad person. Eventually. All of them.

Handsome Dick Manitoba has a regular DJ slot on Sirius XM (except that he's out on the road with the Dictators right now). He has good taste.

Also, I'm still down with Thunderdome. A lot of the weird-world character shit that we're crazy for in Fury Road was straight out of that third movie. It really played up the supporting characters better than either of the first two.

"Ain't we a pair, raggedy man?"

More
05 Jun 2015 10:19 - 05 Jun 2015 10:20 #203433 by mikecl

Not Sure wrote: Mad Men is just "bad things happen to bad people".

The twist is, everyone is a bad person. Eventually. All of them.

You could say the same thing about most of Shakespeare.
Last edit: 05 Jun 2015 10:20 by mikecl.

More
05 Jun 2015 15:06 #203442 by Black Barney
In this thread, Mad Men, an American period drama shown on cable network AMC, was compared to one Bill Shakespeare.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl, wadenels

More
08 Jun 2015 01:39 - 08 Jun 2015 01:41 #203479 by mikecl

Black Barney wrote: In this thread, Mad Men, an American period drama shown on cable network AMC, was compared to one Bill Shakespeare.

Every thread should have an Emcee or better yet, a referee ... in this cawnah ... weighing in at 125 words ... although, Mad Men was not compared to Shakespeare so much as the pitfalls of plot simplifications were exposed.

But hey ... what's life without a little showmanship and pizzazz, not to mention razzmatazz .
Last edit: 08 Jun 2015 01:41 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds