October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Bolt Thrower: Gears of War: TBG, Bloodborne, Witcher 3

More
22 Jun 2015 01:00 #204737 by Matt Thrower

Welcome to Bolt Thrower, the gaming column that blows your head off. If you’re new to the format, here’s the deal: I link something I’ve written elsewhere and then pontificate a bit on what I’m playing right now that’s not in the review queue.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2015 09:24 - 22 Jun 2015 09:25 #204738 by Gary Sax
I didn't have much of a problem with the "they just stand around" part of the AI in Gears... my bigger issue was the pretty clear incentive to cheese by having a drone or a wretch standing around rather than finishing all the enemies. That one REALLY pulled me out. Did you notice that issue?

One thing I will say about the Gears base box is that it's incredibly generous. It has almost everything from the games, all three of them, in the box from the start. It is not a game that clearly was built with sequels in mind---maybe FFG's last game that was like that. The game is so good, I can't believe they haven't returned to the underlying system.

re: Bloodborne. I agree that not much has changed but in a way everything has. The distinction between the gun and the shield is huge in the way you play. Then add the health back if you hit them quickly thing... aggression vs. passivity is the difference between the two games, basically.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 09:25 by Gary Sax.

More
22 Jun 2015 09:28 #204739 by charlest
Gears of War is such a great game I can overlook its few faults. It always delivers admirably on tension and escapism and I can't help but want to give it a hug with each play, despite the fact that it wants to eat my face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
22 Jun 2015 10:09 #204741 by Columbob

For example, if there’s a dangerous Boomer standing with a clear shot into a roomful of COGs but you draw a wretch card, he’ll just stand there. The wretches will advance and all the players will breathe a sigh of relief. It’s exciting, but not remotely realistic.

Don't forget that enemies activate after every individual COG turn - if that boomer was to shoot every time a single COG moved, it would be devastating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack, charlest

More
22 Jun 2015 11:34 #204755 by VonTush
Funny, I was just soloing some Gears the past two nights. I use one COG when soloing because I really like the Sudden Death element to the game knowing that there isn't anyone there to help should I fail. Two nights ago was the first mission which was a cake walk for my one dude. It was one of those games where everything just worked perfectly - Plenty of ammo and cards left at the end of the game.

That was balanced out last night where the second mission where it took three attempts to slay the beast. The first attempt was a solid one but about five rooms in things just fell apart and my COG was downed. The second attempt was the counter-point to the first mission the night before where everything that could go wrong did...Wounding instead of killing, not drawing cards when I needed and no enemies just standing around - Every one seemed to activate exactly when I didn't need them to activate.

The third attempt was amazing though. The perfect mix of everything being average so to speak, alright cards, alright rolls on both sides and alright enemy activation. A fantastic ebb and flow of excitement and respite. I was always walking that fine line between life and death with my cards and never blessed with enough ammo to do what I wanted.

Towards the end I was about to do a final assault charging into the Berserker's space to land a Hammer of Dawn shot followed up by two more attacks, except just before the play I remembered that the HoD caused wounds to everyone in the space...It would have been too much Blaze and not enough Glory so I Plan B'ed it and dropped it another way.

More
22 Jun 2015 15:37 #204763 by Black Barney
I made such a controversial comment to this article that Matt deleted it! Facism is growing and present on the Fort! TRUMP 2016!!

I'll post a cleaned-up version here. Let's see....what was I on aboot again? Ah yes, thanks for the review on Witcher III! I have that on my radar screen. I'm surprised you don't mention the in-game deck building mini-game that would probably appeal to lots of FATties here, present company included.

xoxo

More
22 Jun 2015 15:47 #204765 by Matt Thrower

Black Barney wrote: I made such a controversial comment to this article that Matt deleted it! Facism is growing and present on the Fort! TRUMP 2016!!

I'll post a cleaned-up version here. Let's see....what was I on aboot again? Ah yes, thanks for the review on Witcher III! I have that on my radar screen. I'm surprised you don't mention the in-game deck building mini-game that would probably appeal to lots of FATties here, present company included.

My word. I'm surprised you dare show your face here again after that filth you posted!

Still, since you've gone to the effort of sanitizing it, I'll reply. I 'm going to post a bit more about Witcher 3 in the next week or two. It's very good, the first game in a long time that's made me feel that compulsive itch to play when I'm away from it. But it's not without its flaws. There's too much busy work, and far too many cutscenes.

I'm too in to the main game to have paid much attention to Gwent, the card mini game. I've only played a couple of hands. But to be honest, it just feels a bit crap and shallow. I can't see there's much strategy to it at all - you just need to collect more powerful cards to win. But that could just be lack of familiarity. For the time being, slaughtering ghouls and griffins is way more fun. If I want cards, I'll play Hearthstone :)

(I deleted Barney's original post by accident. Sorry Barney.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Jun 2015 15:48 #204766 by Matt Thrower

Gary Sax wrote: I didn't have much of a problem with the "they just stand around" part of the AI in Gears... my bigger issue was the pretty clear incentive to cheese by having a drone or a wretch standing around rather than finishing all the enemies. That one REALLY pulled me out. Did you notice that issue?

You, know, I didn't. But only because it's never occurred to me to try it. I'm too busy trying to play it like the video game plays :)

More
22 Jun 2015 16:44 #204776 by Hex Sinister

MattDP wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: I didn't have much of a problem with the "they just stand around" part of the AI in Gears... my bigger issue was the pretty clear incentive to cheese by having a drone or a wretch standing around rather than finishing all the enemies. That one REALLY pulled me out. Did you notice that issue?

You, know, I didn't. But only because it's never occurred to me to try it. I'm too busy trying to play it like the video game plays :)

Gary, just imagine those guys got stuck in a wall or some object. That's just like a video game right lol.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds