October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Weeks and Barnes Talk to Reiner Knizia!!!

More
29 Jun 2015 12:59 #205130 by Jackwraith

Motorik wrote: Blue Moon Legends is absolutely worth a purchase if you like the other Knizia card games you mentioned. I also like its two (out-of-print, but easy to find and usually cheap) antecedents, Scarab Lords and Minotaur Lords.

Second this. Blue Moon is one of those games that I will never part with and I was excited to see FFG reprinting it as Legends (I have the original decks.) Like many Knizia designs, it's one that seems simple at face value but has inordinate depth and even allows for competitive deck building (like MTG, not Dominion), if you're interested in that. I'd rank it as one of the best games he's ever designed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2015 13:12 #205133 by Sagrilarus
You don't sell one million units (literally) by being overrated. Like it or not, anyone ranking your few hundred designs is going to put half of them below the median. Comes with the territory.

The thing about Knizia is that you don't even realize the games you like were written by him. Adel Verpflichtet eh? Learn something new everyday.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jun 2015 14:33 - 29 Jun 2015 14:33 #205140 by Gary Sax

Michael Barnes wrote: Rediscovering Knizia last year was one of the things that kept me from completely burning out on games...after so much Kickstarter garbage and all of these designers straining to recreate childhood memories of playing certain kinds of games or simply bundling mechanics and applying a "theme" that amounts to nothing more than pictures, it was so rejuvenating to play things like Modern Art again with fresh eyes...and finally getting that the kinds of meaningful theme, subtext, economy and artful qualities I always want in games were always there in his work.

IMHO, our site could make a name for itself by having consistent content about older games. Like, something that someone has been playing a few times over the past year or so and has specific thoughts about. Not a review but not some sort of after action report either. If people in the board games played thread would transition some of that to front page site content, not even necessarily long form...

I think the audience would come for stuff like that. My perception is that people around the net re: board games are exhausted with the kickstarter treadmill dominating the discussion of games.

I'll get right on doing that as well. ;)
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 14:33 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
29 Jun 2015 15:32 - 29 Jun 2015 17:24 #205141 by Gary Sax
Alright, I just listened to this podcast in full. I'll have more thoughts later, but... Weeks, I'll be honest, you're not my favorite dude in forum form. But there is NO ONE I have heard in the board game community who has the chops at moderating a podcast that you do. You are an amazing host---you can tell that you're thinking about the hosting task/process, not just sort of hanging out in front of a microphone like almost every other board game podcast person.

Edit: My main substantive comment was listening to Knizia talking about his process. What it really reminded me of was Richard Hamblen. That's the impression I've always gotten from his games. What makes them brilliant is he didn't know, for example, how D+D would approach fantasy games. So he just thought up his own game system that does not resemble D+D. No HP. Instantly fatal strikes. Highly plannable, non-random results of individual battles. I wonder this process of making yourself almost an outsider from the scene is common to the most creative designers?
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 17:24 by Gary Sax.

More
29 Jun 2015 16:35 - 29 Jun 2015 17:15 #205143 by Disgustipater
Is there a podcast version (non-YouTube) of this somewhere?
Last edit: 29 Jun 2015 17:15 by Disgustipater.

More
29 Jun 2015 22:11 #205158 by The*Mad*Gamer

Excellent work, Steve.

Glad you liked it Ken, good to see you again! You still in the Huntsville area?

Weeks, I'll be honest, you're not my favorite dude in forum form. But there is NO ONE I have heard in the board game community who has the chops at moderating a podcast that you do. You are an amazing host---you can tell that you're thinking about the hosting task/process, not just sort of hanging out in front of a microphone like almost every other board game podcast person.

Wow, thanks a lot. To be honest I haven't kept up with boardgame podcasts so I really don't know what is out there.

Is there a podcast version (non-YouTube) of this somewhere?

No, I only put it on YouTube. If there is a demand for that I can do that but I haven't done a podcast in so long I forgot how to do it! HAHA

More
30 Jun 2015 00:44 #205160 by Cranberries
I used this Firefox plugin to create an mp3 from the Youtube video:

www.glimmersoft.com/podcaster/

Who wrote and performed that intro song about Knizia? That was hilarious!

More
30 Jun 2015 00:54 #205161 by OldHippy
Great job you guys. The talk was enjoyable and easy to listen to. It managed to go through some of the more high ended concepts of board game design without ever getting bogged down in pretension or becoming boring. No easy task to be sure.

I really want to go out and play some of his games now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
30 Jun 2015 04:54 #205163 by Sevej
It's kind of amazing with "pasted on themes" and all about that "math professor", that he actually design and explain games based on how he want players to feel!

More
30 Jun 2015 09:01 #205167 by stoic
I enjoyed that interview. Great job! I am a fan of Knizia. I absolutely love Battleline, Ingenious, and Tigris & Euphrates. He isn't overrated. HIs games are subtle. They set the hook and reel you in.

More
30 Jun 2015 09:36 #205169 by Cranberries

Jackwraith wrote:

Motorik wrote: Blue Moon Legends is absolutely worth a purchase if you like the other Knizia card games you mentioned. I also like its two (out-of-print, but easy to find and usually cheap) antecedents, Scarab Lords and Minotaur Lords.

Second this. Blue Moon is one of those games that I will never part with and I was excited to see FFG reprinting it as Legends (I have the original decks.) Like many Knizia designs, it's one that seems simple at face value but has inordinate depth and even allows for competitive deck building (like MTG, not Dominion), if you're interested in that. I'd rank it as one of the best games he's ever designed.

I recall there being a number of small glitches involving unclear effects, etc. Were those every cleared up in Legends?

More
30 Jun 2015 22:41 #205206 by edroz
Audio only please. I only have time on my commute to listen to things. I tried the YouTube to MP3 plugin but it didn't work for me.

More
01 Jul 2015 10:43 #205224 by schlupp
Congrats on enjoyable and entertaining podcast (in video form)! Catchy song, likeable guest and surprise twists (Knizia linking to Michael's Nohighscores article). Well done! You guys sound superexited and nerdy at the beginning, but manage to get a nice converstational tone shortly after. I normally don't listen to podcasts, but listened the whole hour.

Some other observations:
+ it sounded as if Michael first called the doctor Ronald and Raimund before he settled on Reiner.
+ Knizia sounds so German that I first thought that it was a parody, but the more I heard the more it became clear that he was the real deal.
+ I know you had one million questions and wanted to get them all in, but it would have been great, if you would have had more time to explore some of the topics you asked. But then I guess you'd have no problem to talk a few hours more to the doctor, if you had the opportunity.
+ I'm wondering whether 'Knizia, master of theme' was the door-opener to get the interview. I'm under the impression that it is not easy to get an interview like this, correct?

(+ Not directly connected to your podcast, but I'm flabbergasted that the first or second reaction over at BGG is a guy accusing you - without listening to the show!! - of being disrespectful in general, for which you were, back then, (it's pretty clear, in his opinion rightfully) banned. I mean, come on! That has been almost 10 years ago! Unbelievable!)

Next please: Wolfgang Kramer. or Klaus Teuber. You owe it to your listeners. ;)

More
01 Jul 2015 10:52 - 01 Jul 2015 10:54 #205226 by The*Mad*Gamer

+ I'm wondering whether 'Knizia, master of theme' was the door-opener to get the interview. I'm under the impression that it is not easy to get an interview like this, correct?

No, this could not be the reason I got the interview because Michael was a surprise guest for the doctor. I did not tell Knizia that Michael would be joining us. In fact, until the last minute I thought i was going to have to do this solo, Michael gave me his skype name at the last minute. HAHAHA!

I knew nothing about Michael's article. I had not read it and certainly did not know the article was posted on his website.It was a huge surprise for both of us and no doubt a lot of the game community.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2015 10:54 by The*Mad*Gamer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
03 Jul 2015 19:49 - 03 Jul 2015 19:50 #205369 by Hatchling
This is such an excellent interview!

Steve, your interviewing style has all the characteristics of the best jazz players: you are extremely prepared and well researched, but in your playing you swing in a way that pulls the other players into their groove, and you manage to round the right corners and sharpen the right edges to draw people into the mix and let them make surprises. Respect.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 19:50 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The*Mad*Gamer

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds