October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Gaming in the Doghouse - August 2015

More
23 Aug 2015 20:24 #209358 by ChristopherMD

This month in the doghouse we played Imperial Assault, Merchants & Marauders, DungeonQuest, and more.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2015 17:30 - 26 Aug 2015 17:31 #209359 by Gary Sax
I really enjoy Three Philosophers. The doghouse sounds like a hell of a place to play games with that kind of beer menu.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2015 17:31 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
26 Aug 2015 18:21 #209360 by Michael Barnes
I think you're going to like the mini-campaign in the new IA expansion..it's MUCH more compact than the one in the base game, I think it says that it's only about 6-8 hours total. We haven't run it yet, but I looked over it and I think the scope of what it's trying accomplish is more congruous with the game.

Skirmish is getting better as they add units...it still occupies a kind of weird space, but I've warmed up to it.

More
26 Aug 2015 18:31 #209362 by hotseatgames
I played Exploding Kittens. I hope I never do again.

More
26 Aug 2015 18:43 #209363 by Michael Barnes
HA HA! Exploding kittens! That is HILARIOUS! Because they're all like cute and sweet and then BOOM! They explode! Whoa ho ho! TAKE THAT, KITTY CAT!

Wipe a tear from my eye...I've been waiting for something like this since Killer Bunnies faded from public view. SO MUCH COMEDY to be had in subverting the cute and cuddly with RAW VIOLENCE.

Maybe next they can do a game about that joke where the baby has forks in its eyes!

Or maybe they can take junk like this in a burn it in a fire for the good of all mankind!

(Protip- pick the second option)

More
26 Aug 2015 20:37 #209371 by SuperflyPete
Fun murderers, the lot of you.

Exploding Kittens is dumb, but its not meant for you clearly way too cool cats. It's meant for people like my neighbor who like to sit and play LCR, Euchre, and 'Screw Your Neighbor' for quarters while getting completely pickled drunk. Feel free to express your derision for the game, that's fine, but know that its the same as bitching about the inadequcies of Budweiser while sipping on a 50$ can of the latest craft ale. It's not meant for you, and you don't appreciate it because you're not gaming to have drunk fun and take some quarters home.

It's about the same as Uno, from a complexity standpoint. Uno has been reprinted for decades, so obviously people like it.

There are a lot of decision points, despite what you think. There's a decent variety of cards in there and there's a really nasty streak to the game, When you're down to the wire and your opponent draws a dreaded Exploding Kitten, then smirks and plays a Defuse, when you say "NOPE, MOTHERFUCKER!!" and play the Nope card, it's quite satisfying to see the opponent's look go from smug to fucked off.

Just sayin'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
27 Aug 2015 09:57 #209397 by Egg Shen
Great write up Mad Dog. I enjoy reading these. You put into words all that is great about DungeonQuest. It's a classic through and through. I'm glad FFG cleaned up their reprint with the revised edition. I just re-ordered a copy and I should be back dying in that dungeon by this weekend!

One note or tip I give anyone playing DungeonQuest: throw a pen and notepad into the box. Have everyone keep high scores of what they escaped with. Essentially you can make DQ like a classic arcade where people will fight for the top score. It adds another layer to think about and I've seen people make risky decisions trying to go for the high score.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, SuperflyPete, Frohike

More
27 Aug 2015 10:09 - 27 Aug 2015 10:26 #209398 by Mr. White
I agree with Egg, a 'high score' sheet is a must for DQ. We had one in our GW copy.

Another thing we did was create teams. Essentially, we would draft a team of three characters, and play three rounds of the game (it plays fast enough). The winner of the evening was the player who's team scored the overall highest take. It added a little drama to the evening as each run was building towards a total score. It almost takes on a gameshow/Running Man type feel. Was a lot of fun.

Of course, we were able to do that with the GW edition because we had the Heroes expansion with all those characters. I don't have the FFG version, but I've long said that I'm one hero expansion away from buying in. Oddly enough though, FFG keeps releasing new editions of the base game instead...

EDIT: Has anyone at The Fort done a review/comparison between the earlier FFG edition and the new revised one? What are all the changes?
Last edit: 27 Aug 2015 10:26 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
27 Aug 2015 10:34 #209399 by the_jake_1973
I made up Hero cards for all the Runebound characters to use in our copy of DQ. My wife and keep tally sheets in all the games we play to track wins. In the case of DQ, we also keep track of the loot value we escaped with. There is a pair of items that increase in value if you have both. We found that if a character does indeed grab both, it is a guaranteed death sentence.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
27 Aug 2015 11:23 #209405 by SuperflyPete

the_jake_1973 wrote: I made up Hero cards for all the Runebound characters to use in our copy of DQ. My wife and keep tally sheets in all the games we play to track wins. In the case of DQ, we also keep track of the loot value we escaped with. There is a pair of items that increase in value if you have both. We found that if a character does indeed grab both, it is a guaranteed death sentence.

Please elaborate because I'd love to do something like this.

More
27 Aug 2015 12:39 #209409 by the_jake_1973
I think they are on my Google drive.

Linky goodness: DQ files

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds