October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games: Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers in Review, Forbidden Stars Head to Head with Charlie Theel, Yashima

More
More
05 Sep 2015 14:45 #210043 by Hex Sinister
I like the head-to-head format. Would like to see more, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2015 15:10 #210044 by bfkiller
The head-to-head was great and unique when it comes to approaching board game reviews. I'm definitely looking forward to future installments. Great job, Michael and Charlie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
05 Sep 2015 15:41 - 05 Sep 2015 15:44 #210045 by MacDirk Diggler
I concur with the above sentiments that the head to head, point-counterpoint is missing in the board game review realm. it hardens back to classic Siskel and Ebert.... The kings of head to head critique. I liked that Barnes' went into the depth of his objections to the design. With his previous critiques of FS I got got stopped by the tag "workmanlike" and didn't hear enough follow up on that to which he specifically objected. Also, with Barnes kinda unrivalled ability to articulate strong opiniions it could prove difficult to find a match for him that would have the chops and gravitas to serve as a worthy foil. CharlesT certainly proved a worthy adversary. It will be interesting to see how well others can pull it off.

I look forward to more of these, especially where there Is unmanufactured disagreement. You will double the views and success of this format if you can mix in some below the belt ad hominem attacks on each other. People love to see a bloody fight. Reality TV has proven that is what drives ratings. It certainly was part of the appeal of Siskel v. Ebert
Last edit: 05 Sep 2015 15:44 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
06 Sep 2015 15:57 #210082 by Gary Sax
Dropped in to say the same as everyone else, really enjoy the head to head format.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scrumpyjack

More
06 Sep 2015 21:11 #210094 by jeb
I want to file a mild objection about using STARCRAFT as a foil for FORBIDDEN STARS. It's not like everyone can just hit the shelf or nearby friend for a STARCRAFT game--long out of print, never coming back. It's like movie reviewers dissing something in the theatre because it's not as good as the film they saw at Sundance two years ago that hasn't gotten a distributor yet. Yeah, I bet that other thing is great, but can your audience access it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
06 Sep 2015 23:25 #210097 by wadenels

jeb wrote: I want to file a mild objection about using STARCRAFT as a foil for FORBIDDEN STARS. It's not like everyone can just hit the shelf or nearby friend for a STARCRAFT game--long out of print, never coming back. It's like movie reviewers dissing something in the theatre because it's not as good as the film they saw at Sundance two years ago that hasn't gotten a distributor yet. Yeah, I bet that other thing is great, but can your audience access it?

StarCraft was widely distributed. It ain't Moongha Invaders or After Pablo.

If a publisher takes a major mechanic from a previously released game and uses that mechanic in the structure of a newly released game then those games are going to get compared.

Also, add me the list that digs the format. Really well executed too. The only thing that I'd add is more fisticuffs. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it seemed to me that both authors were making such an effort to be respectful and civil that it came through a little bit in the writing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
08 Sep 2015 08:51 #210145 by charlest
Thanks guys, I was very pleased with how the head to head turned out but we're definitely taking notes on how to make it even better.

More
08 Sep 2015 10:03 #210159 by jeb

wadenels wrote:

jeb wrote: I want to file a mild objection about using STARCRAFT as a foil for FORBIDDEN STARS. It's not like everyone can just hit the shelf or nearby friend for a STARCRAFT game--long out of print, never coming back. It's like movie reviewers dissing something in the theatre because it's not as good as the film they saw at Sundance two years ago that hasn't gotten a distributor yet. Yeah, I bet that other thing is great, but can your audience access it?

StarCraft was widely distributed. It ain't Moongha Invaders or After Pablo.

If a publisher takes a major mechanic from a previously released game and uses that mechanic in the structure of a newly released game then those games are going to get compared.

I don't object to the comparison--the comparison shows depth of knowledge. It's the dismissal of the available game for the unavailable one that I object to. You can compare this to STARCRAFT, and even say it doesn't quite measure up; but Barnes just flippantly tosses off that he perhaps should sell his FORBIDDEN STARS and buy STARCRAFT again. Maybe that just hit me the wrong way. I can go get this thing at Amazon, but I have missed out on my last three STARCRAFT sitings because of other $100+ buyers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds