October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

X-Wing Wave 7 Review

More
05 Oct 2015 01:00 #211912 by Matt Thrower

Seven waves on from the original phenomenon that is x-wing, it's getting harder and harder to differentiate the releases. The ships from the films are all long on the table. Every faction has a ship in every role, from waspish light fighters to heavy bombers. What is there here to make wave 7 unique and exciting?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2015 14:38 #211913 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
In the middle of my own review of these ships right now. Agree for the most part, but we've found the K-Wing to not be nearly as effective as the Punisher, mostly because it seems difficult to fully take advantage of the SLAM. I think it has potential but requires a skilled player. A TIE Punisher is much more forgiving in its movement.

More
05 Oct 2015 16:25 #211927 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
You're absolutely right in what you say. I have just always felt that x-wing is all about lists and models. What you choose to do in between is of limited consequence. That's what I love about the K-Wing: it might be hard to use and of limited power, but I love that it allows surprise and creativity on the table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
06 Oct 2015 17:24 #212020 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
Since I'm flying Scum I was pretty excited about 7 but I think I want to borrow Malloc's or one of the other guy in our groups Hound Tooth (giant stapler) and fly it before I buy it. I'd like to try a Hound Tooth and Kihraxz build.

On a separate note when is FFG or somebody going to get the Road Warrior license and do a X-wing, Wings of War game with it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
06 Oct 2015 17:26 #212021 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

KingPut wrote: On a separate note when is FFG or somebody going to get the Road Warrior license and do a X-wing, Wings of War game with it?

Seriously.

More
06 Oct 2015 17:59 #212022 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
If it has one of those Armada-style fighter stands on the cars, so you can jump your dudes from one car to the next, I am SO in.

RE: X-Wing, I despise this whole "let's invent ships to make people spend money, then put power creep cards in the packs!" philosophy. I've never heard of a K-Wing, or any of the others for that matter, so the way I see it, it's a cash-in to keep the brand alive. That's fucked up, IMHO.

More
06 Oct 2015 19:13 #212027 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
They actually haven't invented any ships so far, I believe everything has provenance either in the films or in the EU. Yes, even K-Wings.

More
06 Oct 2015 19:48 - 06 Oct 2015 20:08 #212029 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review

SuperflyTNT wrote: RE: X-Wing, I despise this whole "let's invent ships to make people spend money, then put power creep cards in the packs!" philosophy. I've never heard of a K-Wing, or any of the others for that matter, so the way I see it, it's a cash-in to keep the brand alive. That's fucked up, IMHO.

Assuming they did invent new ships (as Michael said, they didn't), why is it fucked up? Even if I played a game for a franchise I actually liked (like Star Trek), I wouldn't care if they made up ships to keep the game fresh and alive. Why wouldn't you want the game to always give you more options? If you don't like those options, then skip that ship. I cannot understand the mentality that some people have that they will not buy ships that didn't appear in the movies. Is it just super nerd rage about canon?

As for the power cards, I don't think they do that as much as they did before. A lot of cards come in multiples, in more than one ship. And if this is something that bothers you enough to pass on them, you obviously aren't playing in tournaments, which means you can just print the cards out yourself. The Epic ships had cards I wanted, as well as the new core set that I wasn't about to purchase. Just print them out; problem solved.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2015 20:08 by Disgustipater.

More
06 Oct 2015 22:51 #212038 by SuperflyPete
No, I really don't need 7 waves' (28?) different ship models to have fun with a game like this. It's a money pit to begin with, one I partook in for far too long.

Just my opinion.

More
06 Oct 2015 22:55 #212039 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: They actually haven't invented any ships so far, I believe everything has provenance either in the films or in the EU. Yes, even K-Wings.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-S8_K-wing_assault_starfighter

This fucking thing was invented for a cutscene. That's bullshit. At best, this is taking the most obscure shit that very few people have ever seen, let alone know shit about. C'mon.

I don't care about canon or whatever but this is them cashing in on OCD sufferers. At this point the cards mean way more than the ships.

More
06 Oct 2015 23:01 #212040 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
Business is business.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
06 Oct 2015 23:30 #212042 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
I have purchased every single ship they've released with the exception of the Epic ships and the new core set. I've decided to stop after Wave 8 because, like you, I am content with what I have and feel I don't need more to enjoy the game. However, I don't begrudge them the continuous releases. I'm not buying them, so why should it bother me? That's rhetorical, I guess.

More
06 Oct 2015 23:38 #212043 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
I've fallen off the wagon myself, now I'm behind...not really playing it regularly these days but I'm still happy to have everything up to the first S&V wave. It's just gotten to be too much to keep up with, frankly...but I like seeing the EU/non film ships like the Outrider, the HWK-290 and so forth. I really want the Rebels stuff, so I may break fast with that. But yeah, I think you can totally enjoy the hell out of the game with just the classic A/B/X/Y-Wings, the Falcon, the shuttle, Slave-1 and a pile of assorted TIEs.

More
07 Oct 2015 01:02 - 07 Oct 2015 01:03 #212048 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
The Imperial Raider was designed by FFG for X-Wing.

Not a single mention of the Twin Laser Turret? That was a huge meta buster and shift and the source of much handwringing and forum topics. That more so than SLAM is worth talking about.

Hanging around the Start Trek: Attack Wing forums for a while I find it amusing that the biggest negative used against ST:AW is being used here, that the game is more list building focused rather than tabletop resolution. With Star Trek, that's a stone cold fact and X-Wing is rolled out as the example of how to develop a game where if you show up with a competent and some knowledge of how to fly it, you'll be able to hold your own on the table. This is the first time I've heard that complaint used against X-Wing.

Also, I think I'm witness to another first in this thread. This is the first time I have ever seen the term powercreep used to describe something whose existence is to make something potentially viable that to be honest never really was viable to begin with. Releasing something that allows you to brush the dust off of something that wasn't seeing use is a bad thing?
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 01:03 by VonTush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sevej

More
07 Oct 2015 08:50 #212057 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic X-Wing Wave 7 Review
Yes, X-Wing has perhaps been the best game of its ilk concerning power creep. They have done a fantastic job.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds