October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Listen to Me Marlon - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
06 Oct 2015 17:40 #212060 by Black Barney

Great documentary on the life and times of Marlon Brando. I really enjoyed it, not knowing that much about him before either in his professional life or his personal life (I didn't know anything about his kids).

Makes me really want to see Mutiny on the Bounty, where it seems he started coming apart some. I also had no idea he was that involved in civil and human rights issues.

It's a super tightly-wound documentary, building climaxes at key moments in his life using a combination of music and some of the more dramatic scenes he performed in. Very good storytelling all around.

The fact that it uses his own recordings and narrative makes it really compelling as well, since you get to know the man inside and out. His views on love alone were worth the price of admission for me.

Very moving.

Heart rating : 5 stars

Brain rating: 4 stars

The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2015 09:31 #212061 by Gary Sax
I read a review of this, I meant to catch it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Oct 2015 09:58 - 07 Oct 2015 09:58 #212063 by Black Barney
Gary, if you see it, let me know what you make of it. It wasn't nearly as good perfect as AMY but it was still really powerful and amazing. If you see it, let me know what you feel when you look at the thumbnail I chose for the movie. It hits me like a Mack truck.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2015 09:58 by Black Barney.

More
07 Oct 2015 15:05 #212098 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote:

Great documentary on the life and times of Marlon Brando. I really enjoyed it, not knowing that much about him before either in his professional life or his personal life (I didn't know anything about his kids).

Makes me really want to see Mutiny on the Bounty, where it seems he started coming apart some. I also had no idea he was that involved in civil and human rights issues.

It's a super tightly-wound documentary, building climaxes at key moments in his life using a combination of music and some of the more dramatic scenes he performed in. Very good storytelling all around.

The fact that it uses his own recordings and narrative makes it really compelling as well, since you get to know the man inside and out. His views on love alone were worth the price of admission for me.

Very moving.

Heart rating : 5 stars

Brain rating: 4 stars

More
07 Oct 2015 15:09 #212100 by Black Barney
wot?! The whole review sounds gay?!

More
07 Oct 2015 16:02 #212115 by Michael Barnes
A few years ago, back in my film days, I worked with a dude that had worked on The Godfather (I KNOW RIGHT) and specifically with handling Brando...he was apparently quite eccentric. They'd go to pick him up and he'd come out to go to set wearing an open bathrobe. And nothing else.

I still think that The Island of Dr. Moreau is one of the must-see trainwrecks of Hollywood cinema. That movie is a miracle. It's almost hard to believe that the studio didn't just completely bury it, let alone the actors involved. Brando's performance in it is just NUTS, one of the most WTF roles in film history. You don't see AAA, iconic actors crash, burn, roll over and then crash and burn again like that often. The thing is, I don't think Brando was remotely aware of how shithouse crazy he comes across in it. The ice bucket hat, the weird midget, the piano...

There's some really fascinating stuff about the production of that movie too...Richard Stanley (Hardware, Dust Devil) was hired to direct but he got fired because Val Kilmer didn't like him. But he had some pretty radical ideas for the picture too that likely didn't set well with the studio. So he infiltrated the set a few times as an extra just to be a fly in the ointment. I think you can actually see him in the movie in costume.

But yeah, I'd really like to see this...Brando is such an immense figure in cinema...iconic roles, iconic imagery...there just isn't anyone else quite like him.

More
07 Oct 2015 16:05 #212118 by Mr. White
Didn't Richard Stanley just wander off-set into the jungle and wasn't seen again or something?

More
07 Oct 2015 16:20 #212120 by Black Barney
you really get a sense of not only his ego in this documentary, but his talent as well. His screen presence and why he had it, etc. Very cool stuff.

I just realized they don't even talk about Island of Dr Moreau in the film. Instead they talk about some pile he was in (I forget the name) which he acknowledges as his worst movie.

Honestly, I need to see Mutiny on the Bounty, with all the crap going on behind the scenes that bled into the actual performances, i wonder what it's like watching that.

More
07 Oct 2015 16:45 #212121 by OldHippy

Michael Barnes wrote: A few years ago, back in my film days, I worked with a dude that had worked on The Godfather (I KNOW RIGHT) and specifically with handling Brando...he was apparently quite eccentric. They'd go to pick him up and he'd come out to go to set wearing an open bathrobe. And nothing else.

I still think that The Island of Dr. Moreau is one of the must-see trainwrecks of Hollywood cinema. That movie is a miracle. It's almost hard to believe that the studio didn't just completely bury it, let alone the actors involved. Brando's performance in it is just NUTS, one of the most WTF roles in film history. You don't see AAA, iconic actors crash, burn, roll over and then crash and burn again like that often. The thing is, I don't think Brando was remotely aware of how shithouse crazy he comes across in it. The ice bucket hat, the weird midget, the piano...

There's some really fascinating stuff about the production of that movie too...Richard Stanley (Hardware, Dust Devil) was hired to direct but he got fired because Val Kilmer didn't like him. But he had some pretty radical ideas for the picture too that likely didn't set well with the studio. So he infiltrated the set a few times as an extra just to be a fly in the ointment. I think you can actually see him in the movie in costume.

But yeah, I'd really like to see this...Brando is such an immense figure in cinema...iconic roles, iconic imagery...there just isn't anyone else quite like him.

Apparently Kilmer hated Brando too and even imitates him in the film... anyone else remember that? If you watch it again pay attention to Kilmer (who asked to be in 50% less of the film after the shooting was done) and see if you can pick out where he is making fun of Brando - it's kind of funny actually.

I love Brando but he's in a few stinkers... Last Tango in Paris is particularly tough for me to watch. He's fine in it but there is so much pseudo intellectual BS in that film I find it insufferable (but kind of funny the first time you see it). On the Waterfront is my favorite performance of his. I love a lot of things about that movie like Karl Malden's great performance as a cool priest (that was based on a real guy I can't remember the name of).

BB I don't know if you are aware of the time he got that Native American woman to pick up his award for him and give a little speech about how Natives are treated in Hollywood (it should be in the doc but I don't know) ... you should see that clip if you can. Partly because five or so years ago Norm Macdonald did a parody of that at a Comedy awards show and it was hilarious and completely out of date and therefore over most people's heads. Another of Norms Andy Kaufmann-esque kind of moments. Not quite as mind blowing as the Sagat roast but close.

More
07 Oct 2015 16:49 #212122 by Black Barney
yeah, that was in the movie, JJ. I had never even heard of that. It was pretty good, especially cuz they kept showing smug smiles from various celebrities.

I'll try and dig up that Norm clip, thanks!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds