October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games- Xia: Legends of a Drift System in Review, Moongha Invaders in Review, RESISTOR_, Secret of the Lost Tombs (again)

More
More
08 Oct 2015 17:28 #212184 by Msample
The Moongha link doesn't work. Tried clicking on your name and it doesn't show up in the archives either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2015 18:03 - 08 Oct 2015 19:39 #212185 by Frohike
Last edit: 08 Oct 2015 19:39 by Frohike.

More
09 Oct 2015 10:55 #212224 by VonTush
I played the game a few weeks back myself...I didn't have the right mix of people. I loved the game but some walked way with a "Meh". So for me it is still holding up.

When the campaign launched I knew I'd be sticking with my old copy. The gaudy artwork and plastic didn't lure me in because it doesn't match the game. It gives this impression of action from the get-go, that you'd be stomping cities in no time. The old stylized art and duel-tone stickered wood discs let you know that it wasn't just a bash and smash. That there was going to be 30-40 minutes of movie before Godzilla was revealed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
09 Oct 2015 12:12 #212232 by ubarose

VonTush wrote: I played the game a few weeks back myself...I didn't have the right mix of people. I loved the game but some walked way with a "Meh". So for me it is still holding up.

When the campaign launched I knew I'd be sticking with my old copy. The gaudy artwork and plastic didn't lure me in because it doesn't match the game. It gives this impression of action from the get-go, that you'd be stomping cities in no time. The old stylized art and duel-tone stickered wood discs let you know that it wasn't just a bash and smash. That there was going to be 30-40 minutes of movie before Godzilla was revealed.

I still love Moongha.

I haven't seen the new version in person, but I am thinking that perhaps you are right; all the plastic monsters may set up the expectation the the game is a monster bash and smash. When I play my copy I definitely get the feel that the focus is on the players being Mad Scientists competing with each other, which may be why the slow build and the slight quirkiness of the game has never bothered me. Plus, I love the chunky blocks and how they feel and sound when you snap them down onto the board.

More
10 Oct 2015 11:40 #212267 by DukeofChutney
The Moongha is the only KS game i have ever backed (its not quite here yet in the UK). Its two year delay doesn't really bother me, but i am not sure why I backed it, possibly your comments Micheal a few years back (oh the irony). When it finally arrives the question is whether to play it or try and hock it in shrink. Will probably give it a shot as it looks suitably trashy (though i do think the older version looked better in many regards) and im not too bothered by games feeling dated. I have noticed games feeling dated more though lately.

More
10 Oct 2015 13:47 #212270 by wadenels
I don't have any bias towards the original Moongha artwork; I've never even seen it in person. The new Moongha is a good looking game. I don't know how the big chunky minis will work in actual gameplay, but they look good. The board, tokens, dice, and rulebook are all well done.

The oozy-smelly thing with the miniatures though -- I'm a little worried about that since my yellow Clash of Cultures pieces leaked yellow color all over the place.

More
11 Oct 2015 23:34 #212302 by Cranberries

More
15 Oct 2015 18:21 #212527 by Stonecutter
Can someone post the link to the Xia review, both links on this page go to the Moongha Invaders review and I can't find it on MM.

More
16 Oct 2015 10:14 #212572 by charlest
I played Moongha for the first time last night (no experience with previous edition).

My initial thought is that none of your complaints in the review resonated with my play. I see what you're saying but the impact and negativity was never present.

We played three players and turns went by so quickly it didn't matter that I needed to charge up incrementally or take awhile to deploy a monster.

The miniatures were fine and endearing. Love the 3D rubble and soldiers.

The Darkoors didn't feel like a distraction. Late game I needed some points and I made some clever plays by tossing down troops in a city to protect my Vampire. It also caused the push and pull of action selection to be more interesting as I wanted to choose to place heroes simply so someone else didn't drop them in one of my 3 vampire locations.

Similarly, I really liked the 3 city ownership/defense thing. I hate The Great Fire of London which does something similar because it gives you little recourse to protect your locations. I felt like I could do clever things here to steer people away from my locations like load up on troops or use my Moogre defensively (chasing monsters out of my cities).

The game was fast, about 75 minutes for us and it felt unique and different. Dug it and am considering picking it up (I'll do the hazmat work on your noxious fume box for $20 shipped).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
16 Oct 2015 14:10 #212593 by Ochobee

charlest wrote: I played Moongha for the first time last night (no experience with previous edition).

My initial thought is that none of your complaints in the review resonated with my play. I see what you're saying but the impact and negativity was never present.

We played three players and turns went by so quickly it didn't matter that I needed to charge up incrementally or take awhile to deploy a monster.

The miniatures were fine and endearing. Love the 3D rubble and soldiers.

The Darkoors didn't feel like a distraction. Late game I needed some points and I made some clever plays by tossing down troops in a city to protect my Vampire. It also caused the push and pull of action selection to be more interesting as I wanted to choose to place heroes simply so someone else didn't drop them in one of my 3 vampire locations.

Similarly, I really liked the 3 city ownership/defense thing. I hate The Great Fire of London which does something similar because it gives you little recourse to protect your locations. I felt like I could do clever things here to steer people away from my locations like load up on troops or use my Moogre defensively (chasing monsters out of my cities).

The game was fast, about 75 minutes for us and it felt unique and different. Dug it and am considering picking it up (I'll do the hazmat work on your noxious fume box for $20 shipped).

I agree with this. Even though we butchered some rules, turns were fast and it didn't feel like things were bogging down by having to build things over multiple actions. I actually like the minis just because they feel like a throwback to the bright colored figures you'd get in a mass-market game from the 80's or 90's, and the clutter on the board was never enough to throw off your knowledge about what was happening and where.

Maybe it's just nostalgia for Barnes that's throwing off his opinion of how it plays against how he remembers it playing?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds