October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Hallowe'en Gaming 2015 - Psycho Raiders

More
20 Oct 2015 19:00 #212929 by Dr. Mabuse

What better way to get into the spirit of Halloween, as a gamer, than to get some friends together huddled in a darkened room and play some horror boardgames.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Hex Sinister, OldHippy, Frohike, engineer Al, stoic, charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2015 20:06 #212930 by OldHippy
This game sounds great. A sorely underused setting. I'll have to give it a whirl with you some day. Great write up too! Thanks Doc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
20 Oct 2015 22:12 #212934 by stoic
I need to weave together a Leatherface mask to play this.

More
20 Oct 2015 22:37 #212937 by Shellhead
I got my Psycho Raiders yesterday, and it looks awesome. The rules are longer and more detailed than I expected. The scenario is pretty simple, but they get into all kinds of detail about possible behavior within the confines of the situation. Barnes is right, this style of game really is a throwback to the old SPI games, not counting the horrific subject matter. Some of the artwork in the magazine is horrendously bad, some of the worst that I've ever seen, but it is certainly a deliberate design choice.

More
20 Oct 2015 23:44 #212941 by hotseatgames
I would really like to try this one.

More
21 Oct 2015 07:09 #212946 by Michael Barnes
I played one on one last night. This game is totay renegade. It's ironic that one of the most progressive, innovative and maverick designs of the past several years is, for all intents and purposes, a design 35 years out of date by most standards. It has more to do with Legend of Robin Hood than Betrayal at the House on the Hill. All of these "dripping with theme" buffoons and anyone that thinks that a big FFG (or Kickstarter) production is necessary for atmosphere or storytelling needs to take a hard look at this brilliant.

I played as the campers and I can tell you that no other game captures the terror of being hunted down and murdered by amoral psychopaths better. The hiding, the possibility of sinister townsfolk, hoping that Joey shows up in his Camaro...this is a game that has rules for answering the phone and unsafe driving.

It's early on in my relationship with the game, but I would be comfortable with declaring it the best horror game I've ever played. Shit that happens I. This game is WAY scarier and more terrifying than anything in any other horror game to date. It nails the psychological simulation.

And the package...the way the comic leads into literally turn 1 of the game...fucking brilliant. All of the abhorrent, sloppy artwork, the crude "funnies", the disturbing piece of fiction...it's one of the best-packaged games I've ever seen. The whole thing is evocative and _rude.

This game is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

More
21 Oct 2015 07:49 #212947 by hotseatgames
So be honest... would this game be better with better production values? Nice board, minis, etc.?

More
21 Oct 2015 07:57 #212948 by Michael Barnes
No. The effect would be greatly diminished. It would be like watching an old 1970s exploitation movie that you've seen 10 times on a 5th generation VHS tape in full HD.

Some things need to be grimy, atavistic, and unpleasant. This is one of them.

Besides, the game is completely up to the level of aesthetics that used to be considered acceptable (or even good) in hobby games.

I'll take a distinctive, highly stylized look over FFG/Thomas Kinkade quality illustrations nine times out of ten.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
21 Oct 2015 09:39 #212957 by hotseatgames
My resolve to not buy any more games was weakened... I just bought it. I'm having people over Saturday for the annual Betrayal at House on the Hill game. If I actually get this in time, perhaps we will play this instead but it probably won't get here. Also it maxes out at 5 and I think I'll have 6.

After Betrayal we are going to try Cthulhu's Vault for the first time.

More
21 Oct 2015 09:40 #212958 by charlest
Where were all you people last year when Calendale and myself were raving about it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Frohike

More
21 Oct 2015 11:44 #212966 by Shellhead

charlest wrote: Where were all you people last year when Calendale and myself were raving about it?

I read your review last year with great interest, but I was still recovering from being unemployed for 10 months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
21 Oct 2015 11:52 #212968 by charlest

Shellhead wrote:

charlest wrote: Where were all you people last year when Calendale and myself were raving about it?

I read your review last year with great interest, but I was still recovering from being unemployed for 10 months.

By "all you people" I mostly meant Mr. Barnes.

More
21 Oct 2015 13:00 - 23 Oct 2015 07:25 #212981 by Dr. Mabuse

'All those people' like Mr. Barnes generally likes to wait for more important and influential voices in the game review world to say their piece about a game before looking into and falling in love with this reviewer's "Jeu du jour" as we commonly say in our tiny circle of Gaming Literati (see my Barnes endorsed Horus Heresy review).

Don't be mad at me, bro.
Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 07:25 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
21 Oct 2015 13:01 #212982 by Dr. Mabuse
I already had a copy when it came out last year but when you and Calendale reviewed it I thought to wait a bit (a year?) to review it, I thought more people would have jumped on it at that point and it would have been sold out. Looks like that didn't happen. Hopefully with Warcvlts coming, that buzz will give PR the recognition it deserves.

More
21 Oct 2015 13:34 #212989 by Dr. Mabuse

Michael Barnes wrote: I played one on one last night. This game is totay renegade. It's ironic that one of the most progressive, innovative and maverick designs of the past several years is, for all intents and purposes, a design 35 years out of date by most standards. It has more to do with Legend of Robin Hood than Betrayal at the House on the Hill. All of these "dripping with theme" buffoons and anyone that thinks that a big FFG (or Kickstarter) production is necessary for atmosphere or storytelling needs to take a hard look at this brilliant.

I played as the campers and I can tell you that no other game captures the terror of being hunted down and murdered by amoral psychopaths better. The hiding, the possibility of sinister townsfolk, hoping that Joey shows up in his Camaro...this is a game that has rules for answering the phone and unsafe driving.

It's early on in my relationship with the game, but I would be comfortable with declaring it the best horror game I've ever played. Shit that happens I. This game is WAY scarier and more terrifying than anything in any other horror game to date. It nails the psychological simulation.

And the package...the way the comic leads into literally turn 1 of the game...fucking brilliant. All of the abhorrent, sloppy artwork, the crude "funnies", the disturbing piece of fiction...it's one of the best-packaged games I've ever seen. The whole thing is evocative and _rude.

This game is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

Thank-you for out reviewing my review in five short paragraphs. You should give writing reviews a shot sometime.

True story and I don't give a crap how cheesy this sounds but last year while gearing up for my review asnd playing tons of solo games, one night I decided to post updates on facebook as the game progressed. The response was pretty cool and at one point a buddy of mine typed something, akin to screaming at the screen, to the lone Camper not to trust the Sheriff. When he turned out to be Sinister he responded "I TOLD YOU!!!" Awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Hex Sinister, Frohike, stoic

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds