October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

SHOPPING GUIDE TO RUNEBOUND (PART 1) - The Basic Expansions

More
13 Jul 2008 02:48 #213708 by Mr Skeletor

One of the most common questions that the new Runebounder asks is “Umm, what expansions do I get?” With the game having 20 something expansions to date, things can get rather confusing for the poor soul who is jumping onto the game now, but fret not, because hopefully this little guide I have written should help you sort them all out.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2015 19:05 #213709 by Frohike
I know Mr Skeletor has deserted these parts, but the legacy of this article lives on. I'm picking up Runebound 2nd ed stuff on a lark and noticed this article had some broken links, etc. So I'll fix 'er up a little, if no one minds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
29 Oct 2015 19:39 #213714 by jason10mm
Aside from the Midnight box and (I think) 1 class deck, I have everything for this game, so if anyone has any questions I might be able to answer them. I've not opened or played anywhere near all of it, been saving it for my kid when he can play :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
29 Oct 2015 19:49 #213715 by Frohike
Cool, I might have questions for you in the future. I just picked up the base set in a BGG auction and Sands of Al-Kalim on eBay (ouch). I'm not sure I'll be getting any of the other "big box" expansions anytime soon but I'll probably pick up the small packs regularly for awhile.

More
29 Oct 2015 20:04 #213716 by stoic
So, does this mean a "NO" to the upcoming Runebound (3rd edition) with its diceless token flip combat mechanism? Are people dumping the second edition and expansions in anticipation of this upcoming new one?

More
29 Oct 2015 20:09 #213717 by Frohike
I'm basically flipping the bird to third edition. But it might turn out fine... in which case I'll pick it up eventually. I've just learned my lesson when it comes to FFG "streamlining" things, particularly in the case of Descent 1st edition. I'm glad I kept all of that stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
29 Oct 2015 23:54 #213735 by jason10mm
There was a point right before third edition was announced where a full package of RB2 was going for quite a bit of money. Once they announced the new combat mechanic I think prices went UP even more! I've not checked recently to see where the prices are at but it was tempting to sell as who knows if the kid will care for these old ass boardgames. Of course that logic applies to nearly every game I own....

More
30 Oct 2015 00:44 #213739 by SuperflyPete
There's a 0.00000001% chance I will ever go Full Runebound (3). They got me for at least half a grand on the 2nd edition. It's a great game, and the token flip "mechanic" (read: flip a coin! It's a hoot!!) can bite the big one.

More
30 Oct 2015 01:13 #213740 by Frohike

jason10mm wrote: [...] it was tempting to sell as who knows if the kid will care for these old ass boardgames. Of course that logic applies to nearly every game I own....

Protip: play it with them early and let nostalgia do its thing. My kid started playing Descent first edition when he was 7 or 8. We'd set up scenarios and play them for a couple of days or chip away at our Road to Legend campaign. He would even solo stuff during summer break and it sort of became his toy for awhile. He eventually stopped playing but was livid at the changes in Descent second edition; we sold that one but he didn't go back to first edition for quite a long time either. I kept it around since I didn't have much else in the genre. Then he saw me take it down to re-arrange some games after a big set of trades and he told me flat out to "never sell or trade this game... ever" then set up a scenario that weekend ;) He's 12 now and is starting to understand the cult of the old, I think. Or rather that revised editions can often be bullshit. Of course the nostalgia works too.

More
30 Oct 2015 08:24 #213745 by the_jake_1973
I would love to score a copy of Midnight to complete my RB2 collection. Plus I would have more characters to port to DungeonQuest. I have a feeling that the price commanded for the Midnight box will forever be too expensive. Like trying to get a copy of Avalon Hill's B-17 Flying Fortress game.

More
30 Oct 2015 08:29 #213748 by ChristopherMD
How do you port RB characters to DungeonQuest?

More
30 Oct 2015 10:58 #213757 by the_jake_1973
Here is a link to my Google Drive location with the character files:
DQ Characters

Enjoy

More
30 Oct 2015 11:15 #213759 by Jackwraith
I have everything for 2nd Ed. except Midnight and have played all of it extensively, so I'm also available for opinions/questions. The fact that I still own (and even occasionally play) all of that is also why I'm passing on 3rd Ed. I'm happy with the game as is, even with its rough patches. We usually use the market rules developed on BGG (Go to the bazaar where you randomly draw three things and can buy or ignore them or go to a specific merchant where you have to buy something.) Our favorite big adventure is probably Sands of Al-Kalim, but there are really good things to be said about Frozen Wastes and Mists of Zanaga, too (including heroes that never made it into Descent on the latter for some reason.) Favorite small expansions is either Cult of the Rune or Scepter of Kyros, as the endgames in both are more interesting than the base set. Here's a class deck review I wrote on BGG almost 9(!) years ago: www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/142649/comp...ve-class-deck-review (Octavian basically dared me.)

More
30 Oct 2015 12:10 #213762 by SuperflyPete
Honestly, I don't get the hubub about Midnight. As an expansion, it's not all that shit hot and really changes the game into a 1vsMany game. Not Runeboundy at all, really.

Al Kalim is good but I think the Mists big box. Island of Dread is cool too. The best of all the small ones is Cataclysm, IMO.

More
30 Oct 2015 12:20 - 30 Oct 2015 12:21 #213764 by Frohike
Just traded some stuff for Frozen Wastes. I'm on the lookout for Island of Dread & Mists of Zanaga but I don't think I'll ever pick up Midnight. Too scarce & expensive.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2015 12:21 by Frohike.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.111 seconds