October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Film- Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Review

More
23 Dec 2015 16:23 #218120 by boothwah

Ken B. wrote: We've seen it twice. It's fucking fantastic. I told someone on another message board, "If you consider yourself a Star Wars fan, and you somehow dislike this new movie, nothing is ever going to please you, it's time to move on."

It is just a fucking thrill and joy to watch. I used to defend the prequels as, "Hey, they're sorta okay, and they're Star Wars!" This is what we could've gotten all along. I can't really defend the prequels anymore.

George Lucas has been such a pissbag about it, too, saying that he's sure this is a movie "the fans will like," in his backhanded complimentary way that says everyone else's vision is shit and inferior, despite the fact that his "vision" was clearly past its sell-by date when he jammed a fucking obnoxious musical number into Return of the Jedi: Special Edition.

Fuck Joh Yowza. Fuck him in his stupid screaming asshole.

www.decktech.net/vs/resources/buzz.php?showmore=1&id=6389

/I think you called some of this stuff out a scant 11 years ago
//I've missed you old friend
///You should set up a Jorge Lucas account here on FaT and share some

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2015 17:01 #218124 by Ken B.

boothwah wrote: www.decktech.net/vs/resources/buzz.php?showmore=1&id=6389

/I think you called some of this stuff out a scant 11 years ago
//I've missed you old friend
///You should set up a Jorge Lucas account here on FaT and share some

HOLY SHIT...there is actually a post on there...from 2005...where someone says, "I'm glad you're back, Ken." I think I just lost my shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
23 Dec 2015 19:36 #218134 by JMcL63

Ken B. wrote: We've seen it twice. It's fucking fantastic. I told someone on another message board, "If you consider yourself a Star Wars fan, and you somehow dislike this new movie, nothing is ever going to please you, it's time to move on."

Yeah. What're all these kvetching 7s from the fans fer chrissake? The Force Awakens had to clear the decks of a trilogy's worth of crap. All that 'nostalgia' was nothing more than necessary reassurance for us vets of the classic trilogy that the new Star Wars is the real mccoy.

It is just a fucking thrill and joy to watch. I used to defend the prequels as, "Hey, they're sorta okay, and they're Star Wars!" This is what we could've gotten all along. I can't really defend the prequels anymore.

That which must not be named.

George Lucas has been such a pissbag about it, too, saying that he's sure this is a movie "the fans will like," in his backhanded complimentary way that says everyone else's vision is shit and inferior, despite the fact that his "vision" was clearly past its sell-by date when he jammed a fucking obnoxious musical number into Return of the Jedi: Special Edition.

Passive-aggressive BS from Lucas there. Still smarting from the fans' reaction to, y'know?

Fuck Joh Yowza. Fuck him in his stupid screaming asshole.

I've been spared Joh Yowza. Fortunately, it sounds like.

More
23 Dec 2015 19:49 #218136 by JMcL63

Black Barney wrote: Is the best reviewed star wars movie not a George Lucas one?!?

Here's an IMDb poll agreeing with what I typically hear- that The Empire Strikes back is the most acclaimed of the classic trilogy, taken as a whole. Lucas only had a 'story' credit for that. Writing and directing were in other hands. So no.

More
23 Dec 2015 21:21 #218144 by SebastianBludd

Ken B. wrote: George Lucas has been such a pissbag about it, too, saying that he's sure this is a movie "the fans will like," in his backhanded complimentary way that says everyone else's vision is shit and inferior, despite the fact that his "vision" was clearly past its sell-by date when he jammed a fucking obnoxious musical number into Return of the Jedi: Special Edition.

The full quote is, "I think the fans are going to love it. It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for."

If by that he means a well-acted, well-directed film with compelling characters then yes, he's absolutely correct. What gall he has to try and act like the shitty prequels are the cinematic equivalent of him making us eat our vegetables. As if we're supposed to overlook every one of his terrible decisions and subpar directing and storytelling skills because his "vision" trumps all.

Not only that, but he refuses to acknowledge that three of the movies fans have been "looking for" are the unaltered original trilogy films. He's spent years claiming that there aren't good enough sources and it would be too expensive(!) to make proper, hi-def versions of the original theatrical releases when the Harmy Despecialized Editions prove that he's full of shit on both counts. Fuck him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, Hex Sinister, Frohike

More
24 Dec 2015 09:08 #218170 by Joebot

SebastianBludd wrote:

Ken B. wrote: George Lucas has been such a pissbag about it, too, saying that he's sure this is a movie "the fans will like," in his backhanded complimentary way that says everyone else's vision is shit and inferior, despite the fact that his "vision" was clearly past its sell-by date when he jammed a fucking obnoxious musical number into Return of the Jedi: Special Edition.

The full quote is, "I think the fans are going to love it. It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for."

If by that he means a well-acted, well-directed film with compelling characters then yes, he's absolutely correct. What gall he has to try and act like the shitty prequels are the cinematic equivalent of him making us eat our vegetables. As if we're supposed to overlook every one of his terrible decisions and subpar directing and storytelling skills because his "vision" trumps all.

Not only that, but he refuses to acknowledge that three of the movies fans have been "looking for" are the unaltered original trilogy films. He's spent years claiming that there aren't good enough sources and it would be too expensive(!) to make proper, hi-def versions of the original theatrical releases when the Harmy Despecialized Editions prove that he's full of shit on both counts. Fuck him.

At this point, who has the more unlikely redemption arc: Kylo Ren or George Lucas?? Discuss.

More
27 Dec 2015 01:09 - 27 Dec 2015 01:10 #218286 by Mr. White

It is a homecoming. But it isn't just facile nostalgia like some have suggested. Instead, I think where The Force Awakens transcends being just a new, great Star Wars film is that it is actually the richest in subtext. The postmodern kicker is that this film is about Star Wars and what it means culturally as much as it is Star Wars. The young characters in this film grew up thinking that Luke Skywalker was a myth- just like we did. Kylo Ren idolizes Darth Vader and the traditions of the Sith. The events of the Original Trilogy made a huge impact in this world and its characters, and on Jakku we see the remnants of the war between the Empire and the Rebellion. When Finn gets into the gun turret on the Falcon, Luke is there with him. And we are too, because we have always wanted to be there too.

I'm a cynic who thinks this film played too similar to the OT trilogy to really rate it highly on its own, but this is a great paragraph. And I do really like the cast in this new trilogy.

Also, the personal hatred the online community spews on Lucas for something as trivial in life as films is easily my least favorite thing about Star Wars.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 01:10 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
27 Dec 2015 01:56 #218291 by Space Ghost

Mr. White wrote:
Also, the personal hatred the online community spews on Lucas for something as trivial in life as films is easily my least favorite thing about Star Wars.

I agree with this -- it is his creation and his to do with how he sees fit. For fuck's sake, it is like everyone bitching at Martin for not finishing GoT yet; like it is owed to the fans, or something.

Having said that, I thought the next three films -- VII, VIII, and IX -- were based on the stories that Lucas prepared prior to the sale to Disney. So, other than the direction, he is still responsible for the "core" of what is happening and the direction everything is moving in.

More
27 Dec 2015 03:02 - 27 Dec 2015 03:03 #218295 by Hex Sinister

Mr. White wrote: Also, the personal hatred the online community spews on Lucas for something as trivial in life as films is easily my least favorite thing about Star Wars.

Films aren't trivial to all of us.

Artists shall have no sanctuary from criticism.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 03:03 by Hex Sinister.

More
27 Dec 2015 10:58 #218304 by Grudunza

Space Ghost wrote: I thought the next three films -- VII, VIII, and IX -- were based on the stories that Lucas prepared prior to the sale to Disney. So, other than the direction, he is still responsible for the "core" of what is happening and the direction everything is moving in.

No. ALL of Lucas's ideas for 7-9 were rejected by Disney.

More
27 Dec 2015 11:05 #218305 by OldHippy

Hex Sinister wrote:

Mr. White wrote: Also, the personal hatred the online community spews on Lucas for something as trivial in life as films is easily my least favorite thing about Star Wars.

Films aren't trivial to all of us.

Artists shall have no sanctuary from criticism.

But it's gone way past just criticizing his films. Many of these comments are grossly personal and judgmental, it's gross. He gets more vitriol and hate than Bill Cosby.

More
27 Dec 2015 11:12 #218306 by Hex Sinister
Heh, what kind of fucking sites are you guys hanging out at?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Dec 2015 11:26 #218307 by OldHippy
F:AT. Read this exact thread right here again. Pretend George is a friend. These comments are not movie critiques.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
27 Dec 2015 12:05 - 27 Dec 2015 12:17 #218308 by JMcL63

JonJacob wrote: F:AT. Read this exact thread right here again. Pretend George is a friend. These comments are not movie critiques.

You're right JJ, and guilty as charged I guess. I must confess a touch of embarrassment even if I don't feel very apologetic about my trollishness.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 12:17 by JMcL63.

More
27 Dec 2015 12:41 - 27 Dec 2015 12:42 #218310 by ChristopherMD
Nobody forced Lucas to try and erase the original films from existence and replace them with his newer vision. That's on him 100% and was a big "fuck you" from him to every kid that grew up loving Star Wars. As for movie critiques, his prequel movies were garbage despite him having complete creative control over them. I don't dislike the guy for making some bad movies though. I dislike him for turning the good ones bad just so he could wipe his ex-wife, Oscar winner for Editing of the original Star Wars, from history. A petty reason to shit all over a cultural icon. Doesn't deserve death-threat level hatred for it, but certainly deserves some contempt from film fans.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 12:42 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, JMcL63, Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds