October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

TRASH, CULTURE & VIOLENCE - Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

More
23 Feb 2016 22:03 #223142 by BradHB

Brad Harmer-Barnes revisits the land of HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest with this new card game from FFG.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2016 09:20 #223143 by Mr. White
Yeah, as an owner and fan of Space Hulk: Death Angel, I still haven't felt a huge desire to get this one...even with good reviews.

I agree to your point about BB to BB:TM and SH to SH:DA. Thing is I no longer own WHQ or the superior AHQ, so this should seem to be worth having. I dunno though. Still feel like there's a lot of life in SH:DA...and I still haven't even played with any of its expansions.

Maybe, maybe, if a troll slayer, war dancer, and a Bret Knight made their way into the game...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
24 Feb 2016 09:26 #223145 by Columbob

I hate the scoring dials in LOTR: LCG, Relic, Blood Bowl: Team Manager, Relic, Star Wars: LCG…so please let this be the end of them.

I see Brad, you must really hate those Relic dials.

More
24 Feb 2016 10:16 #223149 by Mr. White
And, Brad, thanks for putting together these reviews. They're much needed and I like the type of games you're looking at here.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Feb 2016 10:45 #223150 by Jackwraith
I've found it effective as a way to lure in non- and semi-gamers to more AT-style stuff. My friends Kate and Nathan are gamers, but Nathan is a hardcore minis/AT/videogaming guy who was in GW games with me up to his neck and loves BB: TM and CitOW and pretty much everything else the FFG/GW morph has released. Kate, OTOH, will play games, but she objects to DOAM-type stuff and has never been overly thrilled with a lot of the Ameritrashy stuff that we've put in front of her (didn't like Chaos, didn't really like Wiz-War, etc.) But once she got a handle on the mechanics of this game, she really enjoyed it and asked about playing it again. She did the same thing for BB: TM, so maybe there's something to the reduction of components to cards that makes it a better Life cereal moment for some.

More
24 Feb 2016 22:11 #223223 by Sevej
I haven't found co-op dungeon crawlers that does enemy activation as efficient and flavorful as WHQTACG. And Descent is in my top 3.

The presence of map usually kill any chance for the sweet spot: You either end up with bland, simplistic AI, or trudging through multiple IFs.

WHQTACG makes the heroes part challenging and it's where you spend most of your time. Even when fully engaged, resolving enemy action is a breeze. And we're talking upward 5+ enemies here... Due to the way heroes & enemies interact, even when "managing enemies" it feels as if you're making tactical decision as the character instead of gaming the mechanics.

I had compared this to SH:DA before I bought it, and decided to pick WHQTACG for more variations and less brutal difficulty. Co-op games that are only fun when being very brutal is one of my pet peeves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
25 Feb 2016 10:32 #223263 by Columbob

Sevej wrote: I haven't found co-op dungeon crawlers that does enemy activation as efficient and flavorful as WHQTACG. And Descent is in my top 3.

The presence of map usually kill any chance for the sweet spot: You either end up with bland, simplistic AI, or trudging through multiple IFs.

You should take a look at Space Cadets: Away Missions. Sure it's a "spaceship crawler", but that comes down to the same thing.

More
25 Feb 2016 11:42 #223280 by metalface13

Sevej wrote: I haven't found co-op dungeon crawlers that does enemy activation as efficient and flavorful as WHQTACG. And Descent is in my top 3.

WHQTACG makes the heroes part challenging and it's where you spend most of your time. Even when fully engaged, resolving enemy action is a breeze. And we're talking upward 5+ enemies here... Due to the way heroes & enemies interact, even when "managing enemies" it feels as if you're making tactical decision as the character instead of gaming the mechanics.

I had compared this to SH:DA before I bought it, and decided to pick WHQTACG for more variations and less brutal difficulty. Co-op games that are only fun when being very brutal is one of my pet peeves.

This.

More
25 Feb 2016 21:47 #223329 by Sevej

Columbob wrote:

You should take a look at Space Cadets: Away Missions. Sure it's a "spaceship crawler", but that comes down to the same thing.

I haven't tried it, and while I believe it is a good game, it really doesn't give the kind of challenge I want from a dungeon crawler. If I had the budget, it'd have been in my collection. But it won't be for the dungeon crawler category. WHQTACG *really* feels like WoW (which just about the first game to nail some semblance of interesting tactics in dungeon crawler) with agro, crowd control and stuff. With SCAM it's more about overkill utilization and combo.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds