October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Spotlight - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
07 Mar 2016 14:32 #223947 by Black Barney

Disclaimer: I'm Catholic. 

I barely won my Oscar pool no thanks to this film. I was sure the Academy would have picked Revenant, but I'm really glad they got it right and picked this instead. It's a far superior picture and if Mad Max isn't going to win, I prefer it losing to this. 

There is some great acting in this movie, especially from the supporting cast. Ruffalo is great but I'm loving Stanley Tucci and Brian d'Arcy James in this. I don't really know why McAdams got nominated and I'm not feeling Keaton's performance in some places. But overall it's just clicking along really well and every scene is fantastic. The only casting choice that's hard to swallow is the choice of McAdam's husband. That's the new standard for "marrying-up."

This film should makes a strong case against the 24-hour news cycle without even trying to do so. Does investigative journalism even exist anymore? Honestly, is John Oliver's Last Week Tonight the closest thing we have now? And it's not even making a dent. We're just overwhelmed with news media that isn't saying anything anymore. I think the last non-puff piece I've seen was when Time magazine did that expose on health care costs. That was as close to the level portrayed in this film that I've seen in recent history. 

Loved this movie. 

Heart rating: 5 stars

Brain rating: 4.5 stars

The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2016 15:32 - 07 Mar 2016 15:33 #223948 by aaxiom
I live under a rock when I'm not playing a doctor on blind radio. WHAT FILM is "this film"?

:D
Last edit: 07 Mar 2016 15:33 by aaxiom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Mar 2016 16:22 #223955 by Black Barney
....Spotlight?

I only said 'this film' three times. Is that too many? I need an editor :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

More
07 Mar 2016 16:28 #223956 by Grudunza
In the title: Spotlight.

The thing I love the most about this is how well it tells a complex story, and getting to a lot of the impact of that, without bogging down in character things. Other movies might have focused more on the reporters' lives, created some kind of relationship side story, etc. I think that Ruffalo was oddly affected in his role, which made it stand out compared to the others who were more low key, and that was both good and too much at times.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, aaxiom

More
07 Mar 2016 16:36 #223958 by aaxiom
Ooo, yeah. That's where it is. I thought you were "shining a spotlight" on the film through your review.

Apologies. I don't get out much.

More
07 Mar 2016 19:21 #223972 by Sevej
I really need to watch this... not sure if I'd have the time...

More
07 Mar 2016 19:35 - 07 Mar 2016 19:40 #223975 by Black Barney
I know what u mean. It was top of my must see list since Festivus and I only saw it in MARCH cuz it was on a plane. I'm really glad I made the time.

I then attempted to watch the last Hunger Games and gave up when Stephen King's killer oil slick showed up.

...actually that's not true. that's when I first thought to myself if original ideas even exist anymore. I kept watching and twenty boring minutes later, a bunch of tunnel dwelling creatures that look like a total knockoff of Pan's Labyrinth spliced with Silent Hill showed up, making me question how these things are generated when we're not in the arena, before I yelled "that's IT'' and slammed my rented iPad Air II shut before remembering I was on a sold out plane. I'm lucky the air Marshall didn't come running making me void my bowels or whatever they do
Last edit: 07 Mar 2016 19:40 by Black Barney.

More
08 Mar 2016 09:04 #223990 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: ....Spotlight?

I only said 'this film' three times. Is that too many? I need an editor :(

In your defence, you also mixed it up a bit with one mention of "this movie".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
08 Mar 2016 10:38 #223993 by SuperflyPete
I liked it, but I cannot envision how it won any marks for acting. Yes, they acted like reporters. If anything, the only guy who should've won was the diddling priest who claimed "to get no joy from it". That guy creeped me the fuck out.

Everyone else was passable. That's why I hate the Oscars....so many other movies were better all-around.

More
08 Mar 2016 11:49 #224001 by jpat
As I said elsewhere, I liked it, thought it was above average, but found it heavy handed in places (guy hanging around a midnight Mass, listening to a children's choir!) and actually still too "character" driven (too much, for me, about the reporters' reactions and feelings--show, don't tell).

More
08 Mar 2016 16:36 #224016 by Black Barney

SuperflyTNT wrote: ..so many other movies were better all-around.

I'll challenge that. I don't think there were "many other" movies that were better. Mad Max and Inside Out, and that's it. Oscar got it pretty close to right here. Remember, REVENANT was supposed to win! That would have sucked.

I agree that no one really deserves much acting nods here. It's really an ensemble piece. i don't think any one sticks out greatly. I still honestly can't understand McAdams' nomination. What did they see there!? It was fine but that was it.

More
22 Mar 2016 23:01 - 22 Mar 2016 23:03 #224727 by Newsguy
"We're just overwhelmed with news media that isn't saying anything anymore."

I hear you. But isn't that what we wanted when we decided to ditch newspapers and read only what we could get for free on Facebook?
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 23:03 by Newsguy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds