October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Star Wars Risk - A Public Service Announcement

More
17 May 2016 10:25 #227603 by Egg Shen

Star Wars is back! It's back in a big way. That means, for the foreseeable future, we're gonna be getting TONS of licensed Star Wars products. One of the first boardgames in the initial wave of licensed goodness was the curiously named, Star Wars Risk. Not exactly what people were expecting. Prior to its release, savvy internet folk determined that this was actually a refined version of the grail game, Star War's Queen's Gambit. Right then everybody should have perked up and taken note. Well, some of you are still not paying attention. Let me fix that for you.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Columbob, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 12:42 #227604 by bfkiller
I like Queen's Gambit quite a bit better. The options on each card in Star Wars Risk don't really feel like options because there's usually a very obvious way to play your hand. Queen's Gambit offers the players more tactical options to consider for playing out a dealt hand because the importance of each field of battle is better balanced.

I still assume the game's development must have been rushed to meet the Force Friday deadline. Either that or Rob Daviau's development chops were missed.

More
17 May 2016 12:55 #227605 by JEM
From what I've experienced so far, what you go with depends on what the opponents choose to do, so in any given game one element or the other may come to the fore. I still see viable reasons to pursue the saber duel and/or the Endor track* it just depends on how the space battle is going.

*Endor is technically required for a Rebellion win, but if the board is wiped of Imperial ships and there are still many rebel craft, it's time to concede anyway.

More
17 May 2016 12:57 #227606 by Colorcrayons

bfkiller wrote: I like Queen's Gambit quite a bit better. The options on each card in Star Wars Risk don't really feel like options because there's usually a very obvious way to play your hand. Queen's Gambit offers the players more tactical options to consider for playing out a dealt hand because the importance of each field of battle is better balanced.

I still assume the game's development must have been rushed to meet the Force Friday deadline. Either that or Rob Daviau's development chops were missed.

Interesting.
Do you think it would be difficult for armchair hobbyist designers to tweak this satisfactorily?
Or would it be too difficult given what is contained in this version?

More
17 May 2016 13:10 #227608 by bfkiller

Colorcrayons wrote:

bfkiller wrote: I like Queen's Gambit quite a bit better. The options on each card in Star Wars Risk don't really feel like options because there's usually a very obvious way to play your hand. Queen's Gambit offers the players more tactical options to consider for playing out a dealt hand because the importance of each field of battle is better balanced.

Interesting.
Do you think it would be difficult for armchair hobbyist designers to tweak this satisfactorily?
Or would it be too difficult given what is contained in this version?

No idea. I've never tried tweaking game rules for any game I've played.

More
17 May 2016 13:14 - 17 May 2016 13:15 #227610 by bfkiller
I should add that there are a few aspects of Star Wars Risk that I prefer. Return of the Jedi is much better source material for Star Wars fans, and the game ends pretty much at the right time (I've had games of Queen's Gambit that dragged on for too long, though I've had games of Star Wars Risk that ran too long as well).
Last edit: 17 May 2016 13:15 by bfkiller.

More
17 May 2016 13:37 #227613 by SuperflyPete
I'm with you ^^^ on the Queen's Gambit slogfest. It's a fantastic game that has literally 1 extra hour tacked onto it for no real reason. This game is a hell of a compromise - 85% of the fun in 60% of the time. Like Dark Moon vs BSG.

More
17 May 2016 13:45 #227614 by Egg Shen
I can't comment specifically on how it stacks up to Queen's Gambit since I've never had a chance to play that. I still think Star Wars Risk is a hell of a consolation prize. Make no mistake though, Star Wars Risk is NOT a hobby game. This is mass market gold that hearkens back to the glory days of the 80s/90s. The complexity level is below HeroQuest and is much closer to well...Risk. I'm a huge fan of these lighter simpler Ameritrash games...think Thunder Road or even Nexus Ops. This isn't Star Wars Rebellion. It's straightforward, in your face, and it's Star Wars. I love it.

Also it's $17.97 on amazon right now. I can't even order a large buffalo chicken pizza for that price. Fuck, the value of this game is tremendous!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

More
17 May 2016 13:58 #227616 by charlest
bfkiller - Rob Daviau had very little input on QG.

I agree though, QG is much better although you have to deal with that sluggish mid-game.

More
17 May 2016 14:53 #227619 by Black Barney
This sounds infinitely better than Game of Thrones CLUE. Jeeeeesus does that look and sound terrible. It started as a April Fool's joke a year ago and then someone actually made it.

Why is Hizdahr Zo Loraq a character in this but Jon Snow and Arya aren't?!? Doesn't she kill people all the time?

More
17 May 2016 17:39 #227630 by san il defanso
I really like this one too, but I think it only really starts to open up when both people have played it a bunch. That's not because the game is all that deep, but because both sides have kind of a bludgeoning strategy they can do quickly if the other person isn't paying attention. Being able to anticipate those strategies is a key part of playing effectively, and it's at that point that the card bonuses (especially those for the lightsaber battle) become really important.

The bludgeoning strategy for the Rebels is more obvious right off, which is to rush Endor. But if the Imperials create a meat shield between the Deathstar and the Rebel fleet, and keep pooping out TIE fighters, it's pretty effective at slowing them down. Any card advantage at that point is a big deal.

I do really like this game. I like that the rules are simple enough that my six-year-old can play it and enjoy it, and I like that it's proven to have more depth than its simplicity displays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
17 May 2016 18:31 #227632 by Michael Barnes
This is a better game than Queen's Gambit across the board. It may not be a "hobby" game, but there aren't many designs that evoke their subject matter so well with so little. It really shows that games don't have to have 40 pages of rules, 2000 counters, reams of lame flavor text, multi-mechanic combat resolution and 8 hour play times to be narrative, impactful, and "epic".

I love Rebellion; but this is the one I'd save from a fire- even with it being exponentially less expensive.

More
17 May 2016 19:59 #227635 by KingPut
One the Best Rating system ever:

What does the Scale-o-matic 6500™ say?
On a scale of Jar Jar Binks to Boba Fett
Star Wars Risk rates as Bossk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
18 May 2016 07:50 #227651 by Jarvis
Based on this review and the comments below, I just bought this. I can't wait to try it out.

More
18 May 2016 07:52 #227652 by Black Barney
Ouf... the review is a Greedo at best.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds