October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games- Tyrants of the Underdark in Review, 51st State H2H, Lost Patrol

More
30 Jun 2016 16:46 #229580 by Michael Barnes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2016 21:03 #229581 by Egg Shen
Damn...really surprised to read the "meh" review on Underdark. It's easily one of the games that I've been most excited about for 2016.

Reading the review it sounds like the did exactly what they attempted with Waterdeep and for whatever reason it didn't work out quite as well.

I still need to get my hands on it and try it though. On paper it has a ton of shit that I adore.

How cutthroat would you say it is?

More
30 Jun 2016 21:49 #229585 by hotseatgames
I could not agree more with your assessment of Tyrants of the Underdark.

Egg- you can screw people over and gang up on them but there is not a terrible amount of fuckery. Certainly not enough to warrant a GF9 logo on the box. I know they didn't design it, but still.

More
01 Jul 2016 00:51 - 01 Jul 2016 00:56 #229587 by SuperflyPete
It sucks. It tries to do D&D Siege of Columbia or something ... Almost like a path control game or something, but it failed. And deck building ugh

Opposing view:
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1597948/review-...ultiple-plays-superb
Last edit: 01 Jul 2016 00:56 by SuperflyPete.

More
01 Jul 2016 02:06 #229588 by Gary Sax
Your comments about the kid suitability of the 2 page rule 40k product made me laugh out loud.

More
01 Jul 2016 08:23 - 01 Jul 2016 08:25 #229591 by Mr. White
I _almost_ bit on that 51st State Master Set pre-order package. I know Lego is a big fan so I hope he's at least enjoying it.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2016 08:25 by Mr. White.

More
01 Jul 2016 09:54 #229594 by charlest

Egg Shen wrote: Damn...really surprised to read the "meh" review on Underdark. It's easily one of the games that I've been most excited about for 2016.

Reading the review it sounds like the did exactly what they attempted with Waterdeep and for whatever reason it didn't work out quite as well.

I still need to get my hands on it and try it though. On paper it has a ton of shit that I adore.

I like it a bit more than Michael, Pete, and Mark if that gives you any hope. I was still pretty critical in my review of its plain Jane demeanor though and how it doesn't even offer a single new mechanism. Price is absurd for sure.

I think it works well though and is well-oiled, it just needs more character and another layer or system to spice it up. I think we'll get that with an expansion, much like Lords of Waterdeep had corruption and the extra boards added on.

More
01 Jul 2016 09:55 #229595 by JEM
That "promotion" element in Tyrants sounds suspiciously like the Entombing in Valley of the Kings (stash a card out of your deck to score it). I saw several groups playing it at the tavern last week, but didn't feel any urge to ask for a game.

More
01 Jul 2016 10:01 #229599 by charlest
It is. That mechanic is handled best in Don't Turn Your Back in my opinion - there everyone trashes to the same pile and whoever has the largest total value scores the most points, second second most and so on. It makes it more dramatic as you're trying to figure out who trashed the most and the information is hidden (you trash to it face down).
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
01 Jul 2016 10:37 #229603 by Josh Look
Lost Patrol is really, really fun. It's the first of the newer GW games I've played and it's cause the bug to bite me hard. It's the kind of game that if I still went out to the local game shop to play, I'd accidentally end up play all night. It's quick, less than 10 minutes sometimes, but when it's over you just want to set it back up and see if you can make it a little bit farther.

Horus Heresy came yesterday. I've got some gluing ahead of me.

More
01 Jul 2016 11:48 #229608 by Michael Barnes
Do yourself a favor and invest in some Army Painter color primer- Dragon Red and Ultramarine Blue. About $11 a piece from Miniature Market or any other discounter. The basic SMs have no identifying marks so there is no way to distinguish them aside from their activation markers. In about 30 minutes, you can have both sets primed AND basecoated.

The Dreadnaught, the Terminators and the characters can wait, but while you are spraying...

Also be aware that you have options. Which is kind of terrifying. I just went with the default group on the back of the assembly guide with just a couple of tweaks. Make sure you look at the cards that have the wargear options so you don't make an "illegal" squad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Josh Look

More
01 Jul 2016 13:55 #229613 by Legomancer

Mr. White wrote: I _almost_ bit on that 51st State Master Set pre-order package. I know Lego is a big fan so I hope he's at least enjoying it.

I am and I am.

More
01 Jul 2016 14:50 #229622 by Egg Shen

charlest wrote:

Egg Shen wrote: Damn...really surprised to read the "meh" review on Underdark. It's easily one of the games that I've been most excited about for 2016.

I like it a bit more than Michael, Pete, and Mark if that gives you any hope. I was still pretty critical in my review of its plain Jane demeanor though and how it doesn't even offer a single new mechanism. Price is absurd for sure.

I think it works well though and is well-oiled, it just needs more character and another layer or system to spice it up. I think we'll get that with an expansion, much like Lords of Waterdeep had corruption and the extra boards added on.

Oh I still have hope that I'm very much going to enjoy it. I'm just more surprised than anything that the game really isn't wowing people.

The "not having any new mechanism thing" doesn't really bother me all that much. It's not like this is the only game to ever be guilty of this. I think the designers were thinking, "All right...all of these things have all been done before, but they've never been used in this way." Maybe not...who knows.

Again, I keep thinking back to Waterdeep and how initially I was kinda, "Huh. That's it?". Then I sort of fell hard for it because it just works so well. Yes, the expansion really enhances it, but the base game was such a solid foundation to build upon.

I guess my thing is that I actually really enjoy deckbuilding...especially when it's used for something other than...you know, just building your deck. Whenever I've thought about this game I've always seen it more as an area majority game that uses deckbuilding. Rather than the other way around.

More
01 Jul 2016 15:11 #229625 by Michael Barnes
Here's the problem with Tyrants. When Waterdeep came out, really quite complex and somewhat overwrought worker placement games were kind of the main thing going. Waterdeep cut all of that down and came out with a pretty easy to play game that was fun, had a cool setting, and didn't take too long. So it was sort of a counter-programming example of the genre.

Tyrants WOULD have been that a couple of years ago by having the board play, the area control elements. But that was a few years ago. Deckbuilding has actually come quite a long way since then, and its core mechanics still feel stuck in that sort of "second gen" deckbuilding model. So it is much less remarkable and it feels dated.

The area control element is as big as the deckbuilding, but you are still playing every card in your hand for two resources, buying cards from a "river" a la Ascension, cycling through them and looking for opportunities to thin your deck out. It feels more like a deckbuilder than a board game.

More
02 Jul 2016 10:36 #229646 by SuperflyPete
I don't want to derail, but every time I see "Army Painter Primer" I puke in my mouth a bit.

AP primer is gritty/powdery with many pigments I've used and it's vastly inferior to Painter's Touch 2x. And about triple the price.

Using the Army Painter "method" (the method lots of people have used for 20 years) is fine and dandy, but that material ranges from decent to shitty (grey especially) where Krylon and other brands don't have that baggage. Only reason to buy AP stuff is if you cannot find a color you want in any other brand.

I shot 339 models with painters touch this last winter. 6 colors. Not one of them would've been better with AP primer.

IMO, their shades are the only shit worth buying, and even then, Coat d' Arms or Minwax Polyshades is equivalent. Or better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds