October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Barnes on Games- Barnes' Best GOTY 2016

More
07 Jan 2017 00:24 #241925 by RabidWookie
Was it really necessary to start a Game of the Year piece with silly political hyperbole?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2017 00:25 #241927 by RabidWookie
On topic, Ascendancy is broken and overly long for such a defensive game. Gorechosen and Silver Tower are brilliant, and I'd have probably picked Silver Tower as GOTY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
07 Jan 2017 03:39 #241930 by scissors

RabidWookie wrote: Was it really necessary to start a Game of the Year piece with silly political hyperbole?

What's silly about it? And who says it's hyperbole? A majority of Americans and much of the free world considers the election of a longtime conman and liar a downright catastrophe for the US and for the rest of us. Even if Michael only alluded to it indirectly, per the FAT unspoken rule to generally stay away from politics, I am glad he has an opinion that goes beyond just board games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
07 Jan 2017 08:39 #241933 by southernman

RabidWookie wrote: On topic, Ascendancy is broken and overly long for such a defensive game. Gorechosen and Silver Tower are brilliant, and I'd have probably picked Silver Tower as GOTY.

I'm sure GW fan-boi games were excluded - actually they probably got gamers who played other games as well as GW to vote :-)

More
07 Jan 2017 08:42 - 07 Jan 2017 18:53 #241934 by southernman

scissors wrote:

RabidWookie wrote: Was it really necessary to start a Game of the Year piece with silly political hyperbole?

What's silly about it? And who says it's hyperbole? A majority of Americans and much of the free world considers the election of a longtime conman and liar a downright catastrophe for the US and for the rest of us. Even if Michael only alluded to it indirectly, per the FAT unspoken rule to generally stay away from politics, I am glad he has an opinion that goes beyond just board games.

Yes but this is the exact reason why we have separate forums for spitting your own flavour of vitriolic creed at everyone else ... most of the site is about discussing games (except for Black Barney who is allowed to post about anything, and usually not games) and probably all of us like it that way.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2017 18:53 by southernman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, wadenels, RabidWookie, Vlad

More
07 Jan 2017 13:43 #241947 by scissors
my own flavour of Vitriolic creed? you are kidding, right? since I barely ever come here anymore, for any reason, for that reason i should perhaps have kept it myself. this just happened to catch my eye, you self styled spokesman for what's right or wrong at FAT.

More
07 Jan 2017 14:09 #241951 by RabidWookie

scissors wrote:

Both candidates were crooked liars and plenty of people had good reasons (and bad reasons) for voting for either of them. To pretend otherwise is to engage in childish hyperbole. I couldn't in good conscience support either of them.

As far as gaming, 2016 was a pretty big let-down compared to the wonders 2015 delivered. My highlights for the year were pretty much relegated to Games Workshop working it's way back into my life after a 25 year hiatus and discovering older games for the first time, like Puzzle Strike.

More
07 Jan 2017 14:16 #241952 by RabidWookie

scissors wrote: my own flavour of Vitriolic creed? you are kidding, right? since I barely ever come here anymore, for any reason, for that reason i should perhaps have kept it myself. this just happened to catch my eye, you self styled spokesman for what's right or wrong at FAT.

Wait, you're criticizing someone for supposedly speaking for the majority of a niche message board, after you just tried to speak for the majority of Americans and the world regarding your angry politics?

More
07 Jan 2017 14:27 #241956 by ChristopherMD
Please continue this discussion in the RSP forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, bfkiller, Legomancer

More
07 Jan 2017 18:52 - 07 Jan 2017 18:55 #241980 by southernman

scissors wrote: my own flavour of Vitriolic creed? you are kidding, right? since I barely ever come here anymore, for any reason, for that reason i should perhaps have kept it myself. this just happened to catch my eye, you self styled spokesman for what's right or wrong at FAT.

Nope, the moderators are (I just know stuff) and they just told you to fuck off to another forum ....... told ya so, na na na

(PS My 'your own flavour' comment was the same as the 'royal we', meaning everyone).
Last edit: 07 Jan 2017 18:55 by southernman.

More
08 Jan 2017 10:01 #241997 by Legomancer
Look, we're brought here by a common interest, so let's throw out the political talk and focus on something we can all agree on:

Miniatures games are dumb toys for little babys.

More
08 Jan 2017 10:18 #241999 by Black Barney
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Shellhead, southernman

More
08 Jan 2017 10:39 #242001 by Colorcrayons
*Throws self on ground and has a tantrum*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jan 2017 11:44 #242003 by xthexlo
I started playing with mini's back in the late '70s with Ral Partha metal figurines. They were pretty cool for a while -- mostly in complex battle situations in a D&D campaign -- but my group drifted away pretty quickly. We never really got caught up in mini-madness. To us, they were more effort than value in our games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
08 Jan 2017 12:05 - 08 Jan 2017 12:47 #242004 by Colorcrayons
I like to joke about painting my dollies, and dressing them the way I like while building dolly houses and an entire city for my dollies to live and fight out their dolly drama.

It gives levity and grounding to a hobby that people take so seriously.

I knew as a child I would be involved in toys for one reason or another for the rest of my life.
I used to obsess over my stars wars dagobah swamp play set with Yoda.

I distinctly recall telling myself as I am playing with it that; "I will be playing with toys for the rest of my life". This was in kindergarten.

While life gets in the way of my fantasy born need for egress, and have put some things away for a time, I always come back to them.

Play is important. Game designer Jane McDonagil (sic) made a very convincing video where she explains how important play is to a healthy life.

While it does rationalize and reinforce my own views on that choice, I know it enriches my life greatly. It makes me a happier person.
Sometimes, I just need a few dollies to suspend my disbelief that I am in a world that doesn't suck nearly as much as this one.

But then again, I am an unapologetic, giant man-child who still enjoys and revers Mr. Rogers and other things that grants me a small moment to feel wonder and the lack of cynicism as I did as a child.

Just sharing my own perspective.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2017 12:47 by Colorcrayons. Reason: Added relevant links and pic
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Columbob, edulis, wadenels, xthexlo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.410 seconds