October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

I'm Not Dead

More
08 Feb 2017 03:22 #243647 by Thrun
Replied by Thrun on topic I'm Not Dead
ive never been happier than when i canned everything I own and just kept my one favourite game. Variety can be fun, but in my experience, a lot of "gamerz" delude themselves with what variety they're really getting, because when you boil most of it down, all games at their core have a fairly similar set of principles, and cycling through combinations of the basic ludic puzzles which make them up is not really the same as a new experience, only in pretend. This is especially true in Euro games, but even in AT games and wargames, the difference with the latter two are a greater tendency to invest in the story/narrative (AT) and the history and study (wargames). Euro games in general havent improved since the classics of the 90s, only become more obfuscated fiddly, overly busy crap pretending to be "new" but being nothing of the sort, but they fit the needs of your average nerd consumer buying into the slightly elitist smartest guy in the room vibe. That may sting, but its overwhelmingly true in my experience with a wide range of groups, CONs, FLGS crowds, and online communities. Thats OK though, whatever floats their/your/our boat. Not worth obsessing over, just make your choice and own it. I personally most games are utterly pointless now, it just took me many years to find the cool aid.

Very nice point which I recognise about the difference between wanting your game to give you something experiential in your imagination, against someone sat just optimizing the game based underlying maths of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2017 08:52 #243695 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic I'm Not Dead
I think the age of the by the numbers boardgame review and best of year lists etc might be done for me. I dont really care much about boardgaming as a hobby anymore. I am far more interested in the personel experiences and people like you Egg talking about things they love or things they found interesting.

More
09 Feb 2017 09:59 #243701 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic I'm Not Dead
I have not yet gotten the nerve to really gut my board game collection, though I have more than once made a list to determine the really non-negotiable games. It changes every time though, so I haven't yet gone through with it.

I'm with you on reading fewer reviews and tracking less with new games though. That's even coming from a guy who writes reviews. I find my own enjoyment of what I already have goes way up when I keep a certain set of blinders on. It's much easier to be satisfied with the games I already have when I'm not reading about the games I don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

More
09 Feb 2017 10:52 #243703 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic I'm Not Dead
I think I've thrown out over 20 games in the last month. Half of the rest are in big plastic totes for moving/disposing of with the rest on the shelves. It's been tough because the last game I sold off was one I really enjoyed, Discworld: Ankh-Morpork about two months before it transpired there would never be any more copies again. The FOMO is real, but a lot of Kickstarter shite has gone in the big black bags, as well as a good amount of "bought for $5-$10 on Amazon" nonsense.

I'd like to get the whole collection down to one Expedit 2x4 shelf, but I can't see it happening without some major upheaval.

More
09 Feb 2017 22:43 #243734 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic I'm Not Dead

Bojack wrote:
Very nice point which I recognise about the difference between wanting your game to give you something experiential in your imagination, against someone sat just optimizing the game based underlying maths of it.

Yeah it's crazy how important it is to me as a gamer. The funny thing is that the imagination thing isn't necessarily a thing reserved for AT games. Sure when you flip a card and read some flavor text in Eldritch Horror it's easy to picture what just happened. I also REALLY like it when in some abstract way the mechanics directly tie into action/theme that is happening. For instance, in the Bloody Inn, after the round is over if there are policemen staying at the Inn they look for anything fishy going on (i.e. they find corpses that haven't been buried). It totally makes sense thematically and it's actually an incredibly fun way to dick someone over in the game. I find that these moments get even better once the rules fade away and everyone is just playing. It really makes boardgames stand out as this truly unique form of entertainment.

On a side note, it snowed like a bastard in New England today and I was able to play a game of Talisman with the Winter themed expansion mixed in. We also used the City board. So much goddamn fun. Yetis, Ice Drakes and polar bears were slain while a couple of adventurers cruised around the icy realm. We played using the Ice Queen end game variant because it felt right. Lots of laughs...we even had the dreaded "roll a 1, get toaded...spend fate, roll another 1 get toaded for real" turn. I could play Talisman once a week until the end of time and never get sick of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blatz

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds