October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Get Out - Barney's Incorrect Five Second Reviews

More
23 Mar 2017 17:29 #245583 by Black Barney

I was already paranoid in and around hypnosis but seeing this movie isn't going to help. 

This movie did a bang-up job giving me that overwhelming sense of dread that you can't escape from. It's essential to the better creepy movies cuz you don't want to feel too at ease. I thought the performances were very good and although much of it is predictable, i still felt surprise at the direction much of it went. 

People keep talking about the social commentary of this film but I didn't find that aspect as deep as people make it out to be. The movie is scary as balls and a fun ride, but I don't think it's quite as profound as that. Still, it doesn't have to be for this genre. Is Bradley Whitford only doing smart-scary now? 

It's a rare thing to have such a great movie for the horror/scary genre. Need more of these. 

Heart rating: 5 stars (absolutely, mine sunk down deep)

Brain rating: 4 stars (a little too predictable maybe)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob, Vlad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2017 09:26 #245584 by Columbob
I still have no idea what this movie is about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
24 Mar 2017 10:53 - 24 Mar 2017 10:54 #245587 by Black Barney
Yeah, I typically get into a bit of what it's about but honestly, the less you know the better.

Or if I did put what it was about, i'd have to be so general, it would be pathetic:

An African-American in a bi-racial relationship goes to suburbia to meet his g/f's family and ends up getting MORE THAN HE BARGAINED FOR.

Last edit: 24 Mar 2017 10:54 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
25 Mar 2017 01:10 #245598 by Vlad
I just watched it, and enjoyed it a lot. However, I disagree with Barney on what this movie is about.
It does work as a horror-comedy or thriller-comedy, because scares, creep and action are all legit - although for most part derivative.
But Get Out also works on a completely different level. At its heart it is pure satire and is absolutely, 100% about race. On one hand, it is about "positive" racism. That is, about certain attitudes of white, educated and (mostly) liberal people toward a black person. The "I'd vote Obama for 3rd term" crowd, which makes them feel like they have proven, once and for all, that they are not racist. Or white people who make friends with black people for display, George Costanza-like. Or talking about how they like black people, without realizing it is pure racism. And about how fucking annoying and creepy it is for a black person to be the centre of attention for white folks just because of the color of his/her skin. But then it goes into another twist and deals with the paranoia of a black person among whites, and I think there's a lot of self-criticism there.
Anyway, I really, really recommend this one. It is not a profound movie by any means, and it doesn't have any intentions to be one, it delivers its social commentary without being patronizing or too serious, and is really entertaining.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jexik

More
30 Mar 2017 12:06 - 30 Mar 2017 12:13 #245790 by Jexik
This movie really hit home for me, just because people (including my 70-year-old, Trump-despising teacher of a mom) say cringeworthy stuff ALL the time. My fiancée is hispanic, but could just as easily be mistaken for a middle easterner or subcontinenter. She's half puerto rican and half-peruvian. My mom has called her her "Sexy Latina," and remarked in positive, yet vaguely patronizing ways about her style of dress. My mom talks about how excited she'll be to have some brown-eyed grand-children, like she's collecting some dolls. (My sister and I both have brown eyes, but both of my sister's boys have blue ones, and all three of my brother's kids have light eyes). I had a friend in middle school that used to sleep over for a night almost every weekend. My mom told him that he, "looked like an African king." That one actually didn't backfire at all- he remembered that forever and says that no one ever spoke that positively about his appearance before, but it's still pretty embarrassing. And my mom loves to celebrate EVERYTHING- birthdays, mother's day, father's day, holidays, etc... And I keep bringing my SO to this stuff. And she's (like me) a little socially awkward to begin with, so these sorts of gatherings can be hard on her. It didn't become real for me until I went to a birthday party for her nephew and got a chance to feel out of place there.

I think the point that was most effective for me was one that was slightly less explicit than the others. Spoiler...

Warning: Spoiler!

This (and watching the documentary 13th, which everyone is also talking about), has made me re-think a lot of conversations I've had in the past, like the time my friend from college (who is 1/2 black, 1/2 mexican, and from Milwaukee) would tell me that he drove the speed limit 100% of the time. I said something like, "nah, you can go 5-10 over all the time and never get a ticket." He just kind of nodded and said nothing, but I'm starting to finally get it.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2017 12:13 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
30 Mar 2017 12:11 #245791 by Black Barney
Yeah, it would have been much more effective and far creepier if Milton had just replied, "no one is going to raise a fuss"

that would have been a more biting social commentary
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, Vlad

More
31 Mar 2017 12:47 #245838 by Vlad
It would have been on the nose, to the detriment of the movie.
It is just like Jexik said. I also don't think I would have gotten this movie when I lived in Europe, it is really about racial relations in the US. By the way, I am not saying that there's no racism in other countries, not by a long stretch. It is just that Get Out is about a very particular brand of racism.

More
05 Apr 2017 10:30 #245991 by Gregarius
I just saw this last night and I really liked it. What surprised me was the fact that it's not a horror movie at all (I don't think), but much more of a Thriller. It's almost like an extended Twilight Zone episode. I think without the cursing, this could have easily been rated PG-13. I wonder why it's being promoted as horror?

I liked how there was social commentary on both the obvious surface and the subtle(ish) subtext. I like how well the movie made you feel at constant unease, both in uncomfortableness and impending dread.

My favorite scenes:
Warning: Spoiler!

More
05 Apr 2017 10:51 #245993 by Black Barney
yeah it's not a horror at all (save that for September's "It"), but I haven't seen it billed as such either. Looks like a clear thriller to me as well.

I'm going to be even more paranoid about hypnosis than I was before.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds